Interesting Cache Activity in Estonia

Guest Ramness570

Guest Ramness570

Don?t ask me how I found this; I guess I could attribute it to, too much free time at work. At the present time there are 36 caches in Estonia, 30 of them belong to a user named ?enn?. The other 6 belong to about 3 other users. Of the 36 only 8 of them have been logged, each 1 time, 6 of those being by user ?oht?. It shows ?enn? began placing caches in February this year at about the rate of 3-4 a month and placing 4 in one day, with some rather odd contents like vehicle inspection stickers (don?t you have to pay for those?) and old broken rusty items brought up from ship wrecks The first find for any cache in the country looks to be May 29 2001 and the last August 21 2001. My question is why is this person hiding all of these when no one is really going after the ones he already has out there? Sort of like the old supply and demand, they have a lot of supply but little demand for new caches. I?m not trying to be rude or mean here, just wondering.

------------------

Brian & TabascoX

Senior Memeber Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

Guest Kobdalis

I live just across the water from Estonia in Sweden. I have also noticed that this guy enn is a very active hider. But didn't suspect him to have hidden 30 caches out of 36. I don't mind though. As soon as I get some spare time I'll try to get over there and do some geocaching.

I guess he gets some sort of satisfaction from hiding caches that no one seeks. Maybe it gives him an extra purpose to get out, seek out new places...

The low demand is probably due to the economic situation in the Baltic. Average income is about one quarter of the U.S. average. With that kind of income buying a GPSR seems like rather a distant goal.

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:

My question is why is this person hiding all of these when no one is really going after the ones he already has out there?

For the same reason I do it. Analize the South African situation and you'll see a simlar pattern.

Not sure if s/he is bothering to do marketting though like I have done via radio stations etc, which seems to have helped.

I'm still the only active hider in Cape Town and will continue until others start playing ...

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

I think the guy in Estonia and Peter have the right idea. Being a card carrying, Slashdot reading techogeek, I found out about geocaching right at the beginning. It sounded interesting, but most of the caches placed were thousands of miles away. I filed the URL away and forgot all about it for a year. Somehow I missed all the media hype, including an article in a local paper. A month ago I was cleaning out my bookmark file of old dead links and checked out geocaching.com again. Punch in my zipcode, and HUNDREDS of caches come up! That got me interested and I started reading logs. After that, I was hooked. icon_smile.gif

Point is, if I had gone to geocaching.com that second time and still not seen any local caches, I probably would have deleted it from my bookmarks. Only reason I kept it the 1st time was I already had an interest in GPS and already owned one. I doubt that most people would have given it that second chance.

The only way to get others involved is if there's something for them to get involved in.

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 19 October 2001).]

I think the guy in Estonia and Peter have the right idea. Being a card carrying, Slashdot reading techogeek, I found out about geocaching right at the beginning. It sounded interesting, but most of the caches placed were thousands of miles away. I filed the URL away and forgot all about it for a year. Somehow I missed all the media hype, including an article in a local paper. A month ago I was cleaning out my bookmark file of old dead links and checked out geocaching.com again. Punch in my zipcode, and HUNDREDS of caches come up! That got me interested and I started reading logs. After that, I was hooked. icon_smile.gif

Point is, if I had gone to geocaching.com that second time and still not seen any local caches, I probably would have deleted it from my bookmarks. Only reason I kept it the 1st time was I already had an interest in GPS and already owned one. I doubt that most people would have given it that second chance.

The only way to get others involved is if there's something for them to get involved in.

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 19 October 2001).]

Guest Tomebug

He's probably doing this for the same reason I'll be doing it in Thailand soon. I will probably be moving there after the first of the year, and take a look, there is ONE geocache in Thailand! What will I do in my spare time now? I will be HIDING them! Got to geocache somehow, and since there are almost none to go find, that means I have to create them myself. You never know when another cacher will visit or move to Thailand, and I want to make sure they have something to do when they get there. Fortunately, I will only be there for about a year, so when I come back I will really enjoy being the finder again!

Hi! I am Enn Veenpere from Estonia. You are wondering about our activity in geocaching. We have 37 caches now and I am "ovner" for only 7 of them. It is simple - I am webmaster of Estonian geocaching website http://www.geopeitus.ee/ and most players are asking me to log their caches in geocaching.com too. Some of them as example don't speak english very well (I too as You see) and so on. If You look logs, You can see names of real owners. And we dont need so necessaryly log our findings in geocaching.com - for that we have our estonian website. We have quite much players regardless of our population (1 434 068) and area (45 227 km²). You are welcome on our website http://www.geopeitus.ee/english.html

Guest CharlieP

This is interesting, I had not thought about geocaching being so widespread. To see the actual activity on an Estonian cache you have to go to the website that is in Estonian, which is not a language which has a lot of words similar to English. They also use the international DD.MM.YY date convention. I think these two sites are the same cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3697

http://www.geopeitus.ee/aarded/kalju.html

It looks like there are a few logs for this one. Looking at some of the other cache pages, and considering the 1.4 million population, geocaching seems to be pretty popular in Estonia.

CharlieP