Any teachers here?

Guest Anton

Greetings!

Are there any teachers here? If so, stand up and be counted! Tell us if you use GPS with your students.

In my work as a staff developer for K-12 school districts in Central New York, I have been showing teachers how to use GPS receivers to create student learning activities in math, science & social studies.

Please visit our NYGPS mail group site:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nygps

Anton, aka N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey Anton.....I went to a couple of your caches on Thursday! Thanks for such great outings!!

I am a speech pathologist...teacher of the speech and hearing handicapped. Right now I work with pre-k exclusively but advertise geocaching every chance I get. I use the yellow messenger bag that is sold on geocaching.com as a briefcase for my papers.......

I am also in the process of setting up some geocaching with teachers at school...Would like to have Eversure son and Butterfly girl talk to their classes about it as well......

But they are both on the shy side.

Anyways, I standing up!!

Have a great new year's eve.....

DxChallenged

Guest exp1622

I teach Industrial Arts to students in grades 7 through 12. I have never presented a lesson to my students about GPS but since you have given me the idea, I will try it sometime in the future.

Guest Choberiba

I don't teach (can't say as I learn much either) but I'd like to hear about some of these lesson plans.

I gots me a youngin who be needin some learnin, and through her I'm exposed to many other kids.

Seems like a grrrrreat way to convey information to those with limited attention spans.... What were we talking about?

I teach. I started a small, independent school for gifted children a few years ago. I'm currently doing a unit on geocaching with my primary/intermediate age students. I'll have more info available later for those who are interested. Meanwhile, my school is www.springhurst.org. If you look up School House Rock, that's one of our geocaches.

I'm teaching physics and chemistry in a school in the Netherlands. I presented the concept of geocaching to my children and showed them my GPS. The GPS is a nice mix for geography and physics. I haven't done anything else but explain.

Gerard

I teach life skills (special education) to 8th graders. It just so happens that I used my geocaching.com compass TODAY to teach "orienting". It's the beginning of my map reading unit. I cache with my sister, Murrcat. We use her units. I don't have my own. These students were so hip to the compass that I'll bet a GPS unit would be VERY COOL. I'm gonna have to break down and buy my own. sis

Guest wanderlust

I teach 6th-8th grade Science and Outdoor/Environmental Education to 8th graders. I have considered including Geocaching in the Spring during my Orienteering unit.

Here's an interesting model for a student activity that combines local history, geography, map skills, with the use of a GPS receiver.

Cemetery Database Summary

http://bellnetweb.brc.tamus.edu/cemdatabsum.htm

"BellNET has initiated a Cemetery Database Project for K12 students in Bell county. Students will research and study the history, geography, and societal impact of Bell County through an organized and systematic process of fieldwork and data collection. Students within secondary institutions will verify cemetery locations, implement a deceased population census, and contribute to a centralized database for public information."

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 15 January 2002).]

Guest JAMCC47

Ggeetings:

You make me homesick, I left the "Salt City" in 1966. I would like to look for several of your sights. I can remember when it was still some wild woods at the Fungi's Delight, and to go back to Clarks Reservation.

Enough of that, I'm not a teacher per say.

But I teach the teachers, as a volunteer in our school district. I've done maps, compasses and now GPS'S, the kids really enjoy the hikes and how that little thing can tell you where you are at. In the spring I instruct volunteers for the USFS on how to use maps, compasses, and GPS's. Some of the payoff has been very handy with the local search and rescue. Yes there are some idiots that should stay in their LAZYBOY recliners and watch nature shows.

Here is a couple of sites for you.

http://mac.usgs.gov/mac/isb/pubs/factsheets/fs07701.html#point

http://www.education.qld.gov.au/tal/kla/compass/html/tatak.htm

If I ever get back East again I will look up some of your Caches.

Syrkid1947@aol.com

------------------

JoseCanUSea

While I am not a teacher anymore, I am the technology director for an alternative school in Northern California. We are in the process of planning cache hunts with our students; blending navigation skills, with ecology, physical education, team building and critical thinking.

A large number of the students are on probation for one thing or another, and because of this many have accumulated community service hours which we plan to burn off having the kids pick-up trash on the trails. Geocaching really looks to be an ideal exercise for them, and we are looking forward to beginning. Now if the weather would just become a little more agreeable.

I've got a question though, do any of you know if any of the GPS manufacturers have donated to schools for projects? We'd like to develop team days, so we need more than my GPS to get the job done. It would be a tremendous help to get donations. Perhaps some Garmin Rinos!

TerraX

Want to see some interesing geocaches? Go to the search page at geocaching.com and try keyword searhes for:

teacher

lesson

school

Then come back here and tell us what you think!

Anton

Guest JAMCC47

Cool - Looked up a few of them. Will have to do some more reading.

There is one here in CO that has something to do with schools, but you have to solve the virtual to find about that one. "Clogh Feish", and Also the "Sage Points The Way".

Come to Colorado, and we'll give you the Tour.

------------------

JoseCanUSea

Greetings!

I'm still looking for teachers with ideas for using GPS in math, science and social studies activities. If you already have lessons or materials in use, why not share them with our group at NYGPS? Once you join the group, you will have access to the sections for uploading files, bookmarks and photos. We've got 100-plus members now, very useful files, and tons of bookmarks.

Please visit our NYGPS mail group site:

NYGPS - Educators using GPS with students!

Anton, aka N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

Guest Myra Mit

I'm an Independent Studies teacher (yeah, I know that sounds like an oxymoron) for the Long Beach USD (CA). My background is in local and oral history which spurred me to create this cache.

I'd love to do stuff like that for my students but I'm sure district administration would have a fit over the legal liability that student involvement would expose them to.

Guest Markwell

We actually have a wife of a local cacher that came up with a complete unit for her 4th Grade students. She was supposed to present it to a symposium in the Chicago area on using technology in the classroom.

I wonder how that turned out? I'll have to send out an e-mail...

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Absolutely!

I will be presenting workshops at the NYS social studies teachers conference in mid-March, and one of them will be on GPS. I use geocaching as a model for student activities, and would love to be able to show a dedicated forum area here!

BTW, do you think that geocaching.com will ever have a link to the NYSGPS homepage?

Anton

NYGPS List - Using GPS for Math, Science & Social Studies

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Maybe a "GPS in education" forum is appropriate at this point. It would be a great place for fellow teachers to share ideas, etc. What do you think?

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 07 February 2002).]