Underwater container

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

For those of you interested in a waterproof container, I may have something of interest. Here is the text from my cache page 'Water-Logged'.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5095

*********************************************The cache is a piece of black 4 inch PVC anchored to a short piece of railroad rail. Both the anchor and container have a loop of climbing rope attached. They are held together by a simple 'S' hook that is closed on the anchor rope. I rigged it like this so you don't have to swim the anchor to the surface. All you have to do is unhook the cache and bring it to the surface. That way, you'll also know where to put it back. ------------------------------------

The cap that you remove is a test plug. Basically, a big rubber 'O' ring gets compressed between 2 pieces of steel. The steel is zinc plated and I replaced the carriage bolt and wing nut with stainless versions. I also made an acrylic wrench to help in opening and sealing the container. Just unscrew the wingnut 3 full turns and lightly tap on the cap to pop it open. The cap may have a little water in it, so you might want to point it down when you open it. To re-seal, tighten the wing nut 2 full turns after the rubber makes solid contact with the PVC. You will have to hold the cap with your fingers until it quits spinning, at which point it has made solid contact. ------------------------------------

There is a 2 lb soft dive weight in the container to make it easier to dive with. Please leave that in there.

*********************************************The other end of the PVC just has a knock out plug glued into it. You can either spend 8-10 dollars for a heavy molded slide over the end cap that has to be glued in place, or spend .50 cents for a knock out plug that has to be glued in place. The knock out plug is more than adequate for the depths I'm playing with.

I attached the climbing rope to the container by knotting both ends of the rope and securing it with a stainless hose clamp.

Guest makaio

Sounds like a pretty cool cache. You might want to add a link to the cache page to explain to potential seekers how to perform Valsalva's maneuver. It's simple enough and could help prevent potential seekers from causing themselves personal injury.