Vandalized - what next?

Guest bigcall

Guest bigcall

Just learned that my first cache is no longer with us.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13246

While it was in a fairly trafficked area I thought it would at least make it past it's 1 month birthday.

I plan on replacing the cache entirely in the same general area (it will be much farther away from prying eyes this time though). Since I'll be moving the cache' location probably on the order of a mile or so but keeping the theme should I keep the same name or just add revised?, should the date placed field be updated to reflect the new date info?, and if any of the above are changed can fellow geocachers log another visit to the new site and have it count?

Appreciate any feedback on this since I'm looking to get this back up by the weekend one way or another. TIA

Guest Markwell

That's exactly what happened to the first cache I ever placed. I thought that it was fairly well hidden and the third person who found the cache indicated that it had been plundered.

I've learned a little from experience of finding now, and only had one other of my placements plundered. That one was due to a well hidden location in the summer and the complete lack of foliage in the winter (I hadn't taken that into account).

My best advice would be to archive that particular cache, but set up a brand new one in the same general vicinity. However, make sure it's far enough away from the original location. If some unscrupulous person finds the box in the woods with cool stuff, they might tell their friends and come back looking for it again.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest King Pellinore

I'd have to agree with the good Markwell about archiving the plundered cache. We have a cache near here that was plundered and is now gone but not archived. I didn't spend *too* much time looking for it! There is a replacement cache about .2 mi from the original.

Please note that I am not following my own advice regarding my own cache, which is missing, because I intend to replace it in the same location. Peace, and don't let the plundering get you down!

Guest brokenwing

I too will echo Markwell's comments that archiving and creating a new cache may be best. My reasons are more practical, though. A couple of months ago I moved a cache due to social trails developing in the area. When I moved it, I just adjusted the coordinates and the name, but it was still the same cache number. What I discovered was that some of the original hiders did not come back and re-hunt it. I assume that?s because the cache shows in their ?found? list, so they don?t see it. In retrospect, I think it would have been better for me just to archive the old one and create an entirely new cache. The one good thing about the way I did it is that all the logs are there. Had I done it the other way, it would have only contained the new logs.

------------------

Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest Snowtrail

I had a cache that lasted a week in an urban park.

So, I'm planning on using that same location for a more time specific cache, where the location is only needed for one day.

I didn't have much in it, just move movie rental coupons. My other cache has magnets in it. I am hoping it doesn't get plundered either. The less value in the cache, (I'm hoping) the longer the cache lasts.

We are trying to set up a few very urban caches in the downtown area, so we will have to check the cache more often, and deal with the losses if they do happen.

Guest bigcall

Sounds like archiving is the way to go here especially in view of my desire to relocate the cache to new coordinates and hiding spot. This also gives me some more freedom to change it up some and perhaps make it a multi-cache, etc.