A different GPS game...

Guest Jake.Hazelip

Guest Harrkev

This seems kind of cool, but requires hardware that nobody has yet...

It is sort of like a proximity waypoint, except that you can mark a waypoint, attach a message, and other people get the message when they approach the point.

Seems that if it became popular, that it would be so annoying in town as to have people turn it off. In the woods, I see some interesting applications.

Guest treemoss2

I read through the thread linked inot the first post.

A lot of people upset about the commercialization of its use, if it ever comes to be widely available. Then the second post made the enlightening statement that no one else seemed to grasp - "you can turn it OFF".

Also who has a GPS on in town anyway?

Plus, the woodheads who are all concerned about commercials, spam, and intrusion, etc, I 'd like to know how many of them use a free internet provider that has all those ad pop-ups you have to get, or how many use cell phones and get a bunch of uneccessary call the would otherwise not have to put up with had they not had a phone in their pocket.

As for its use in geocaching, it would bring in the element of progressive coordinates on the way to the final cache.

Other than that, I make no moral or ethical assumptions about it.

Guest Hamster

Many of the people on Slashdot tend to have anti-commercial leanings.

quote:
Originally posted by treemoss2:

I read through the thread linked inot the first post.

A lot of people upset about the commercialization of its use, if it ever comes to be widely available. Then the second post made the enlightening statement that no one else seemed to grasp - "you can turn it OFF".

Also who has a GPS on in town anyway?

Plus, the woodheads who are all concerned about commercials, spam, and intrusion, etc, I 'd like to know how many of them use a free internet provider that has all those ad pop-ups you have to get, or how many use cell phones and get a bunch of uneccessary call the would otherwise not have to put up with had they not had a phone in their pocket.

As for its use in geocaching, it would bring in the element of progressive coordinates on the way to the final cache.

Other than that, I make no moral or ethical assumptions about it.

Guest JAMCC47

I'm a professional NERD from the last millineum and that dung is too deep for me.

I'll take some Guiness and Tullamore Dew to do my postings in empty space.

------------------

JoseCanUSea