Profiles!

Guest jeremy

Guest madphatboy2

Looks good jeremy. Keep up the good work. I may have over looked this, but how do you view someones profile? Is the profile only for Groundspeak? Or for the geocaching website? (or both)

[This message has been edited by madphatboy2 (edited 27 February 2002).]

Working on integrating the profiles. They can now be found by clicking on the name in a geocaching log. I'll be adding them to travel bugs as well.

Also, the new forums will allow clicking on the user's name to see their profile.

Jeremy

Guest madphatboy2

JeepNaz is either trying to up his posts or be a smart A$$. Either way s/he is doing a good job. icon_wink.gif

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest madphatboy2

JeepNaz is either trying to up his posts or be a smart A$$. Either way s/he is doing a good job. icon_wink.gif

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest Hawk-eye

Jeremy ... is there a length limit to the homepage? When I try to list my home page it won't take it.

348_1002.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 27 February 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Jeremy ... is there a length limit to the homepage? When I try to list my home page it won't take it.

348_1002.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 27 February 2002).]

It was but I upped it. Try it now.

Jeremy

jeremy - I got this message:

The page cannot be displayed

There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Open the www.geocaching.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error

Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E57)

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]

String or binary data would be truncated.

/login/user.asp, line 609

Browser Type:

Mozilla/4.08 [en] (Win95; U ;Nav)

Page:

POST 538 bytes to /login/user.asp

Along with some other stuff....

I saved after each line till I got to location and gender. I typed "Virginia Beach, VA, USA" for location and I picked "male". hmmmmm, it it trying to tell me sumpin??? :^)

quote:
Originally posted by Pote:

OK, it hates "Virginia Beach, VA, USA". That causes the error...

Fixed this. I'm using some fields from a former program that was poorly created. Try it now.

Jeremy

Guest sidewinder

thanks jeremy for all your work on this web site. really nice improvement to the profiles. you deserve the gold medal for all you put up with.

sidewinder

[This message has been edited by sidewinder (edited 27 February 2002).]

Guest Buck8Point

GREAT JOB Jeremy!!!!

I was getting that Error page too for a while but now it working.

I am having a problem selecting my profile picture. Seems like the 1st time I used the change profile utility there were 2 pulldowns one for the Profile Pic and the other for Avatar Pic. I have uploaded 3 pics trying to get one on the profile, and they are available for selection for the Avatar Only. There is no pulldown for the Profile Picture Field.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance..

------------------

Buck8Point

"If I can't fix it, It's definately Broke."

Guest whidbeywalk

Jermey,

Love the profiles and will have to find time to work mine up over the next couple of days.

However, I think that I found a glitch. On a cache page when viewing the logs, if you select ?Click here to view them,? on the resulting page the user names don?t link to profiles. If you select ?view them all on one page,? the names link just fine. Not complaining, just trying to help troubleshoot.

Thanks for making this site and hobby all that it has become. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by whidbeywalk (edited 27 February 2002).]

Guest whidbeywalk

Jermey,

Love the profiles and will have to find time to work mine up over the next couple of days.

However, I think that I found a glitch. On a cache page when viewing the logs, if you select ?Click here to view them,? on the resulting page the user names don?t link to profiles. If you select ?view them all on one page,? the names link just fine. Not complaining, just trying to help troubleshoot.

Thanks for making this site and hobby all that it has become. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by whidbeywalk (edited 27 February 2002).]

Guest infosponge

It all looks very cool! Thanks again for your hard work on all this Jeremy!

One request...I beg of you...I will make a large donation to the charity of your choice, I will stalk your worst enemy, I will invite your mother-in-law to come live with me...whatever...

For the love of all that is good, and pure, and nice to look at icon_smile.gifplease don't allow images in the signature part of the profile...

Guest infosponge

It all looks very cool! Thanks again for your hard work on all this Jeremy!

One request...I beg of you...I will make a large donation to the charity of your choice, I will stalk your worst enemy, I will invite your mother-in-law to come live with me...whatever...

For the love of all that is good, and pure, and nice to look at icon_smile.gifplease don't allow images in the signature part of the profile...

Guest Artful Dodger

I was just wondering why one has to Log In in order to view a profile.

Many times, I peruse the caches and read the logs without having Logged In. Is there any reason why we must Log In in order to Click the Profile Link on the cache pages?

...Naturally this would be solved if the system Auto Logged you in ... icon_smile.gif

Guest Artful Dodger

I was just wondering why one has to Log In in order to view a profile.

Many times, I peruse the caches and read the logs without having Logged In. Is there any reason why we must Log In in order to Click the Profile Link on the cache pages?

...Naturally this would be solved if the system Auto Logged you in ... icon_smile.gif

Love the new profile capabaility.

Also not sure about some of the ambiguities involved with the archived cches but really like how they now show up with 'strikethru' text. Quick and easy way to see the info but know that it's archived. Now I've have to find some suitable pix and avatar....

Guest Mr. Snazz

IMHO, its a good idea to have people log in, since profiles can display e-mail addresses. Call me paranoid, but if you didn't have to log in, it would make it all the more easy for someone to write a script and scan this site for e-mail addrs (for spam lists). This happens with a lot of sites already which don't require logins.

Since the profile code uses a numeric key to indicate which profile to display, its easy as pie to iterate over all of them.

Excuse me while I adjust my tinfoil helmet icon_wink.gif

Guest Mr. Snazz

IMHO, its a good idea to have people log in, since profiles can display e-mail addresses. Call me paranoid, but if you didn't have to log in, it would make it all the more easy for someone to write a script and scan this site for e-mail addrs (for spam lists). This happens with a lot of sites already which don't require logins.

Since the profile code uses a numeric key to indicate which profile to display, its easy as pie to iterate over all of them.

Excuse me while I adjust my tinfoil helmet icon_wink.gif

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

IMHO, its a good idea to have people log in, since profiles can display e-mail addresses. Call me paranoid, but if you didn't have to log in, it would make it all the more easy for someone to write a script and scan this site for e-mail addrs

icon_wink.gif

The email link is on all the cache pages regardless if you sign in or not. But , you still have to sign in IF you want to send an email. Secondly, the email address is NOT stored on the web page. Geocaching.com uses its own email sending process to send emails.

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

IMHO, its a good idea to have people log in, since profiles can display e-mail addresses. Call me paranoid, but if you didn't have to log in, it would make it all the more easy for someone to write a script and scan this site for e-mail addrs

icon_wink.gif

The email link is on all the cache pages regardless if you sign in or not. But , you still have to sign in IF you want to send an email. Secondly, the email address is NOT stored on the web page. Geocaching.com uses its own email sending process to send emails.