WAAS

Hello all.... I am looking for information about the WAAS feature. I am looking for a cache in my area and my GPS tells me it is directly in the middle of a fairly busy street. Now, others have found this cache and I am new to GeoCaching so I am sure the error is all mine and my GPS. I read thru the posts and one states "... disable your WAAS if you ever want to locate this one..." I don't even know what my WAAS is much less how to disable it! Could some wise seeker out there tutor me on this? Thanks ya'll... Thump

Which unit do you have? You might not even have that feature.

quote:
Originally posted by Texas Lucky Dog:

Hello all.... I am looking for information about the WAAS feature. I am looking for a cache in my area and my GPS tells me it is directly in the middle of a fairly busy street. Now, others have found this cache and I am new to GeoCaching so I am sure the error is all mine and my GPS. I read thru the posts and one states "... disable your WAAS if you ever want to locate this one..." I don't even know what my WAAS is much less how to disable it! Could some wise seeker out there tutor me on this? Thanks ya'll... Thump

WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) is another group of satellites that is still in the works. Instead of the satellites moving around and always being at different spots in the sky, these will be stationary (geosynchronous). Right now there is only a couple (someone correct me on that) in operation, so it's not likely that these would cause any significant change in your readings...Sounds to me like it might be which datum you're set for, or maybe how you typed the coords in (dd.ddddd° instead of dd°mm.mmmm', etc.)

I'm definately not the most informed person in this, so everyone else can go ahead an correct away!

migo_sig_logo.jpg