Yellowstone Trip & Geocaching!

Guest breaktrack

Guest breaktrack

Well, this summer I'm planning to take my two kids on a trip to Yellowstone National Park. As I am already aware that there are no caches allowed in national parks we are planning to geocache on the way up and on the way back. We will be starting in Houston, Texas, and heading up through northern New Mexico, into Colorado (with a stop to drive up Pike's Peak), then on up through Denver to Wyoming. Depending on how our time is we made head on up to The Little Bighorn Battlefield in Montana, then back over to Cody, Wyoming. From there we are planning to stay in Yellowstone for about five days, then head down through Teton and over into Idaho, back down through southern Wyoming, eastern Utah (Salt Lake City and environs), and back into Colorado. From there back down through New Mexico to Carlsbad Caverns, then across to Fredricksburg, Texas (Nimitz museum) and then home to Houston.

I'd be interested in any input those of you that live along that general route might be able to provide about good caches that would make for good memories. I have a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee that can go just about anywhere I want to go, so that is not a problem. The kids are a girl aged 11, and a boy aged 8, and we hike and walk a lot.

So, let's hear it, and thanks in advance!

------------------

Single dad looking for, dang, what the heck was I looking for again??? Where's my GPS?

What a great idea! I'm a big fan of the Yellowstone area myself. icon_smile.gif Actually there IS a cache from long ago in Grand Teton National Park, but it's not for kids -- the terrain is so obnoxious, even the park rangers haven't removed it ...

I have two boys aged 6 and 12. Here's one I'd like to take them to this summer

Limber Pine Cache in Logan Canyon, UT

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5289

And here's one I've placed that you might enjoy -- I did it with the thought that vacationers might run out of things to read while on the road

Some Light Reading

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11920

While you're in Yellowstone, you might have the kids check out the Junior Ranger program -- it's an ativity guide that helps organize the sights of the park -- AND they get a badge, too!

What a great idea! I'm a big fan of the Yellowstone area myself. icon_smile.gif Actually there IS a cache from long ago in Grand Teton National Park, but it's not for kids -- the terrain is so obnoxious, even the park rangers haven't removed it ...

I have two boys aged 6 and 12. Here's one I'd like to take them to this summer

Limber Pine Cache in Logan Canyon, UT

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5289

And here's one I've placed that you might enjoy -- I did it with the thought that vacationers might run out of things to read while on the road

Some Light Reading

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11920

While you're in Yellowstone, you might have the kids check out the Junior Ranger program -- it's an ativity guide that helps organize the sights of the park -- AND they get a badge, too!

Guest breaktrack

Hey essay, thanks. I will check these out and see if they will fit into our route, excellent. I have to admit, I did wonder about the one listed in the database as being in Teton, lol. Now I understand. I made this same basic trip by myself a couple of years ago while the kids were visiting with their mom for the "summer visitation" period and I've wanted to bring them along for a repeat for some time now. I figure they are old enough now to appreciate it, so we are heading out about June 1st. I've got 17 straight days so we are not in any hurry except to have fun.

Thanks again,

Mac

------------------

Single dad looking for, dang, what the heck was I looking for again??? Where's my GPS?

The easiest way to check for caches along your planned route is to locate them visually.

Try Buxley's site which has maps of all posted caches and makes the job a bit easier than simply searching by area.

Grab a travel bug or two along the way and move them to distant caches - and bring one or two back home with you to plant in local caches.

Have a safe trip.

Guest madphatboy2

There are a lot of good ones in SLC. Contact cachunuts, UtahJean, tslack2000 or take a look at the utah listing for geocachers that can recomend some good ones. I've heard good things about the one essay mentioned up logan canyon.

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

National Geographic has some interesting topo/trail/GPS/routes CD-ROMS to download waypoints, routes etc. for the NAtional Parks including Yelowstone. Check here http://www.gpsnow.com/wftngts.htm

although there may be better and less expensive places to purchase.

Have a great trip and if you buy/use any of these, let us know how good they are. I'm planning a trip to these parks one of these days.

Alan

Guest breaktrack

ms to put in each cache we visit and collect items from each cache to bring home and create a cache on the Texas coast with them. Also might put the travel bugs out with the aim of seeing how many get back to Texas to that cache, we'll have to wait and see. Thanks to all, keep the info coming....

Mac

------------------

Guest mikechim

beartrack,

while travelling the northern US for 2.5 months and geocaching the whole way I had the same problem as far as logging them. Libraries work well, but often have all the computers used up and sign on space is limited. I found that the best place is college libraries (I was checking out gradschools as well). Sometimes you need a password in the university computer centers (often you don't) but their libraries are almost always accessable without a password. Just a thought.

------------------

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

Guest VentureForth

I've found a couple of private colleges, too, that have information kiosks where you have to stand to use the internet. Very convenient to check email, etc., but discourages roleplaying games, etc. icon_smile.gif

Maybe there are internet cafe's along the way? Though I have no idea. Never been to one.

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

Guest VentureForth

I've found a couple of private colleges, too, that have information kiosks where you have to stand to use the internet. Very convenient to check email, etc., but discourages roleplaying games, etc. icon_smile.gif

Maybe there are internet cafe's along the way? Though I have no idea. Never been to one.

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

breaktrack,

We were up in Montana last summer, and did a cache ("Missouri Headwaters") outside of Bozeman (just north of the park):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1171

It was a fun cache for both my son(10) and me, and had great geographical and historical interest as well (major point on Lewis and Clark's journey). Would be "neat" to see another Houstonian log that one.

M&K

Guest breaktrack

m&k that is exactly the sort of cache I'd like to take the kids to. I am a fan of meaningful virtual caches as well. I have found a few of those that the kids have enjoyed (almost as much as me... lol). Hopefully some of the ones near Pike's Peak will work out as well. We're going to make the drive up to the top. I really enjoyed it when I went a few years ago.

Thanks again,

Mac

------------------

Guest breaktrack

After some consideration I've decided to also include some eastern Idaho, eastern Utah, and maybe even some eastern Arizona caches to my trip. If you have any suggestions as to good ones to hit, please feel free to list them here, thanks. (This is in addition to New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana!).

------------------

[This message has been edited by breaktrack (edited 28 February 2002).]

Gee, you could have gone to some fun and mostly easy virtual caches that I placed in Yellowstone earlier this month. But for some reason, they haven't been approved. I've sent two messages to admin, in the past two weeks, addressing the reasons given for non-approval and requesting that they be un-archived, and I'm still waiting for a response.