UTM convert to LAT/LON not right?

Guest VStarman

Guest VStarman

I'm a little confused..... I hid a cache, recorded the location in UTM. Went to a converter on the internet for equiv Lat/Lon, (because this is what is asked for on the register a cache page) Then I asked my GPS to convert it also to Lat/Lon. It came up with different Co-ord's. What's the scoop? Any body?

Guest JAMCC47

Sounds like the program that does the conversions goofed. You could of put in some wrong data. Your GPS should go from one format to the other with no difficulty, thus a separate program to change them would be not needed. If possible put your UTM'S on the forums maybe we can figure out what the problem is.

------------------

JoseCanUSea

Guest VStarman

quote:
Originally posted by JAMCC47:

Sounds like the program that does the conversions goofed. You could of put in some wrong data. Your GPS should go from one format to the other with no difficulty, thus a separate program to change them would be not needed. If possible put your UTM'S on the forums maybe we can figure out what the problem is.

My GPS UTM 09 672331E

59852676N

My GPS LAT 53º59.34N

LON 126º22.29W

Convertor #1 (Anglefire.com)

LAT 53º59.13N

LON-126º22.17E

Convertor #2 (JeEep.com)

LAT 53º59'13.3"N

LON 126º22'17.5"W

What do you think? It seems the convertors agree with each other, and my GPS is out?

Are a few seconds significant?

Regards,

VStarman

Guest mrgigabyte

quote:

My GPS UTM 09 672331E 59852676N

First off, your UTM Northing is invalid. You have one to many digits. Perhaps you mean 5985267 not 59852676.

That aside, the problem is defiantly your map datum setting in your GPSr. Make sure you have the setup configured for WGS84. Your reported lat and long are very close to NAD27, but not exactly. Could be NAD27 CA, or some other variation.

Guest VStarman

quote:
Originally posted by mrgigabyte:

First off, your UTM Northing is invalid. You have one to many digits. Perhaps you mean 5985267 not 59852676.

That aside, the problem is defiantly your map datum setting in your GPSr. Make sure you have the setup configured for WGS84. Your reported lat and long are very close to NAD27, but not exactly. Could be NAD27 CA, or some other variation.

You're so right! The northing is 5985276.

I have a dual function for datum, the UTM was set at CANADA, and the LAT/LON was set for NAD83. I will reset them both for WGS84. Thank you for your help.

Rick