Monmouth County, New Jersey

Guest Faderaven

Guest Faderaven

Well, I emailed and telephoned (left a message) the park system explaining about Geocaching and asked permission to place one. I got no response.

Does that mean yes? icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Mopar

Not sure about Monmouth, but I know in Ocean county the park rangers are aware of geocaching and don't seem to have a problem with it. The rangers in Allaire regularly log new caches placed there, and in reading the log book in a cache in Clayton I saw that a ranger checks the cache every few weeks. Logs it as "Mr. Regnar Krap" which is park ranger spelled backward.

Guest JamieZ

Fade',

Well.. I think if you've made a legitimate attempt to gain permission and they ignore you, then I would go ahead and place it. I would keep documentation of your requests though. (i.e. copy of the email, written record of your phone calls) You might even mention your attempts on a sheet inside the cache so that if they find it, you have documentation right there.

Basically, I think you ought to be able to cover your butt if they come to you and ask to remove it. You could then demonstrate to them that you tried, in good faith, to get permission. If you can show that you were trying your best to follow the rules, it may alter the way they feel about the geocaching hobby. Try to be as responsible as you can.

Jamie