What items do you put in a new cache?

Guest kimbeattie

Guest kimbeattie

This is an expansion of the "Lame item" thread.

When creating a new cache, what kind of items are you putting in? What what would you like to see in others caches?

Coming up with items to put in a new cache is something of a challenge. I want a variety of items, but I don't want to empty out the "junk" drawer! I want to put at least one item in each cache that I would be interested in if I found the cache.

One idea I've had that I'd like to hear feedback on is old paperback books. I've got a ton of paperback books I've collected over the years and I'm considering putting one in a cache. Assuming the subject matter was one that interested you, would it bother you that the book was old? The books are in good shape, but the age shows in the yellowed pages. Good or Bad idea? Any comments?

Guest JasonW

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest - in fact I buy a lot of my books in the nearly new/pre-owned/second hand/previously enjoyed/insert your term for it bookstores - older impressions of books are often just so much nicer to hold than the modern equivalent.

Guest Paul Lamble

perbacks were the first thing I thought of to put in them, and they were the first thing taken from them. I'd say go for it. In fact, you ought to leave books in caches you find (unless you're already doing that).

Paul Lamble

Guest Anton

Lrbrary Cache Designation?

I've been thinking about a "library" cache theme. This could be a new regular category of cache, if people like it enough. I know I would like to see library caches become common. A library cache would have all books, and nothing else in it except a logbook to sign. The webpage clues would tell people to remember to bring a book to trade, and help keep the library theme going.

The books in the cache might be on a theme as well, perhaps related to the location, or to a theme for the hunt.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Exocet

It depends.

If the cache is supposed to be "history" oriented, we've tried to put items that reflect the local or state history in. In one cache I had a Henry Weinhard's drinking glass, a box of Oregon trivia cards and a book on the park where we placed the cache at.

Most of the time, however, our caches are placed because of the uniqueness of a location. In that case, anything will do. Our last cache was the smallest in terms of quantity of items and had the following stuff:

- Whistle/compass/signal mirror/waterproof container thing

- A pin

- Silver anklet

- Red sequen bracelet

- A ring

- A sticker

- First aid kit

- Pipe cleaners

- Hand warmer

- NIN CD

- White Zombie CD

- Log book & pencil

The stuff I *really* have liked to find have been outdoor-related items such as hand warmers, a compass, a thermometer, a field guide to birds, a field guide to trees (and another on ferns), a book on hiking Oregon and the old standby, AA batteries. icon_smile.gif

Guest Exocet

It depends.

If the cache is supposed to be "history" oriented, we've tried to put items that reflect the local or state history in. In one cache I had a Henry Weinhard's drinking glass, a box of Oregon trivia cards and a book on the park where we placed the cache at.

Most of the time, however, our caches are placed because of the uniqueness of a location. In that case, anything will do. Our last cache was the smallest in terms of quantity of items and had the following stuff:

- Whistle/compass/signal mirror/waterproof container thing

- A pin

- Silver anklet

- Red sequen bracelet

- A ring

- A sticker

- First aid kit

- Pipe cleaners

- Hand warmer

- NIN CD

- White Zombie CD

- Log book & pencil

The stuff I *really* have liked to find have been outdoor-related items such as hand warmers, a compass, a thermometer, a field guide to birds, a field guide to trees (and another on ferns), a book on hiking Oregon and the old standby, AA batteries. icon_smile.gif

Guest Silver

I have found books in two of the caches I have found. Both times I traded for the books rather than the trinkets. I enjoyed reading them and then leaving them in the next cache I found that they would fit.

Silver

Guest Todd Svec

I'm sure that there are as many different opinions on what people like in a cache as there are items you could PUT IN a cache! At the risk of offending some, and even being somewhat of a hypocrite myself, I'm tired of the junk. Some toys are fine, but a used, broken or dirty leftover is not what I like finding a box full of when I open it up. Yes, the adventure is in the hunt, but the reward (for some) is a cool prize! Music CDs are a nice treat, especially if they are semi-current. Greedy people are a turn off too. A few of the caches have had old coins in them, certainly valuable items. At one cache, we took one of about 6 coins, a following person took them all. At another with coins, there were 5-6 coins listed on the web site among other things, only one coin was left. Here's the zinger: the person before noted that he/she took an item (a NICE item I might add), but not the coins and they were missing and we were the 2nd group to find it! We have a padded container that is full of different items, and we try to be generous, usually leaving more than we take. Memorable and/or good items:

CD from "What Men Want"

Silver coins

AA Batteries

Historical information if any

Unique "fish" pen

Lotto tickets

New mug with doggies on it

A frisbee golf frisbee

Tee Shirt

Guest kimbeattie

Okay, good to know that paperback books are an acceptable idea.

I've been putting some caches together and pulled some old B.C. comic strip collections out of storage. These books are so old that they have cover prices of between 0.50 and 0.95 cents! I've got a ton of old science fiction and fantasy too.

I knew I had a reason for keeping all those books all these years . . .

Guest Todd Svec

Another area that's tough to coax people in to following is a theme of a cache. (This is where I'm a hypocrite, but unintentionally!) We placed a garden cache, in our garden, and while I'm very glad that people are taking the garden related items, but I was expecting & hoping people would BRING garden related items so that others would still be interested in the theme. *BUT*, this is where I have to slap myself. We went to a cache, fully expecting it would pet related because we knew the people, and totally forgot to bring something to follow the theme. As expected, it was full of nice dog stuff, and we reluctantly left a little book and golf tees (there was a golf course nearby).

I myself and wanting to place a few more theme caches: One with pet items, one with CDs & one with computer trinkets, and I hope to be able to word the description to carefully request similar items be swapped. So, how does one do that?

Guest DeSoto

We will be placing our first cache this weekend! It's all ready. We've included a fire dept hat, tshirt, fire engine trading cards (OOP-therefore collectible),an El Paso County Search & Rescue mousepad, Colorado State Patrol Patch, Flashlight, First Aid Kit, AND a hitchhiker: A firefighter teddy bear named Gage. Can you tell we are going for a rescue theme? There are other things in the cache but I can't remember right now... Does this sound at all like the sort of cache you might like to find? Thanks for any input...

Guest Lazyboy

I've appreciate finding things that might relate to the area that the geocacher lives in. I went to Maui recently and left some Oregon keychains in them. In my caches I've noticed that old videos seem to go quickly. I always do place some toys in them too as many bring their children along. A cookbook I left is going to die a lonesome death I fear.

Guest Robereno

When I place a cache I usually leave a DVD movie as one of the items though, some friends have suggested that I?m ?over the top? as far a value per item. On the other hand, how many times can you watch ?Mouse Hunt? or the ?Mr. Bean? movie. I suppose many would consider them as pretty lame items icon_wink.gif

Guest Robereno

When I place a cache I usually leave a DVD movie as one of the items though, some friends have suggested that I?m ?over the top? as far a value per item. On the other hand, how many times can you watch ?Mouse Hunt? or the ?Mr. Bean? movie. I suppose many would consider them as pretty lame items icon_wink.gif

Guest Todd Svec

See there, I'd like both the cookbook and the DVDs, even if lame. I thought one that was just CDs (music/audio) would be cool. If the contents changed enough, people might revisit!

Guest Snowtrail

The most unique thing I've placed is movie tickets to the local Indie film festival. I have a windup '69 Beatle to go in my next find. I like to use what I place in the caches as a display of personality. We have a small group of cachers here in town, and you can tell a little about the personality by what they place.

Guest glcanon

I like the DVD idea. Small and flat, takes little space. But I also like practical outdoor items like handwarmers, waterproof matches, a lighter or flashlight, etc.. I suppose if everyone put the same thing in, it would be boring. But a pack of AA batteries ought to be mandatory! You might save some poor soul having a very bad day. My one gripe is the Trash Cache. Stupid cheap plastic dinky toys, false teeth, chewed gum, etc.. I'd prefer duct tape or rubberbands, frankly.

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

Greetings Earthlings,

Yup, this thread hasn't been posted to in about 2 months but here it is again. Why start a new one?

I'm new to this and thinking of some reasonably priced items. An idea of mine was looking for deals on Ebay. I just typed in "dozen" and there are 54 pages of lots of stuff. This morning there's an auction for Hissy The Snake Ty beanies, a dozen of 'em for $15 including shipping. Not a bad price? Good item? Also, 12 dozen Mardi Gras beads for ten bucks. Figured on throwing into a cache like 6 or 8 of 'em together. Beanies and beads good for young kids? Or is this crap?

More ideas from folks? Thanks.

Guest n1niq

I'm glad this string is active again. In the last few weeks my wife and I have located two caches full of absolute crap. The items inside look like they were saved from the trash heap or grabbed from the gutter. I am not in this hobby to find treasures but its disheartening to pull bags of used, dirty, or broken items from a container just to get to the log book. If either of these caches had been my first find I may have been put off from the hobby altogether.

If you place a cache and just can't afford to put anything in it besides a log book that's cool with me. If you find a cache and just want to leave a log entry that's fine too.

If you are going to leave something though, it should meet the the following criteria:

- Is the item new? (If not, is it clean?)

- Is it reasonable that at least one out of the next four people to find the cache will want the item?

- Is the item going to last in a sealed metal container through summer and winter?

Also, please don't feel that you have to pay big bucks on cache items. I have found a lot off neat items at dollar stores and on clearance tables at toy stores. If you are looking for kid oriented items now is a good time to shop with all of the back to school sales going on.

I'm sorry for the ranting but I hope I got my point across. Again, I'm not looking to find instant wealth in a geocache container. It's just that I really appreciate finding items which I know someone put some thought behind.

Chris

Guest T-storm

Okay, not on the "goodie" topic, but I wonder what folks think about the type of implement left for signing the logbook? I can see where a pen could have problems if it froze or got to hot-- it either leaks or refuses to perform it's designed function. And if the log should get wet ink can run. Then there are pencils. But a pencil can be hard to read, likely also fail if the paper gets wet, and then there are sharpening needs. Do you leave a sharpener, or leave folks to pocketknife sharpening? What about mechanical pencils with a supply of leads? Is that reasonable or a bad idea? Just trying to decide what to put in some caches we hope to place in the next month!

T-storm

Guest adventuretom

you get what you pay for and I prefer my caches to be nice and have people want to visit them. Even if you open the cache in a downpour it won't affect the notebook. As far as the trinkets, I too am getting tired of finding trash in the cache. As mentioned previously it takes no effort and little money to find something decent to swap with. Broken fishing tackle and ping pong balls are not good trade items.