Moving a Cache

Guest kk6t

Guest kk6t

I visited a cache I had hidden and found evidence that it is in the middle of a homeless camp. I will move the cache but wanted to poll the collective wisdom on how to handle it. Do I just change the coordinates on the web page and make a log entry noting that the cache has been moved or archive the existing cache and start fresh?

Guest Lazyboy

I'd think maybe you might think about contacting the owner of the cache. He has the ability to edit the cache page himself. But I think you have the right idea. A cache in San Francisco found itself in the middle of a homeless campground recently. It was never heard from again, but hte cache had been archived.

Guest JasonW

In that case I'd say do what seems right to you.... my own view - if it's not moving drastically then move it and update the co-ords as soon as humanly possible.

Of course it's only courtesy to at least attempt to notify would-be cachers before you make the move to prevent wasted journeys. So perhaps one of the ideas below might assist you in that:

Plan A: Log the fact that you're going to move it a few days before you do so, to warn anyone that might be caching ahead.... something along the lines of "This cache will be relocated on dd Month Year, and the updated co-ordinates will be posted here then" - after you've edited the co-ordinates you can delete the log.

Plan B: Mark the cache as being somewhere way out of the way (eg 00d00.000N 00d00.000W) until you move it then if someone does a lat/long search it's unlikely to come up.

Of course you could combine both of the above plans icon_smile.gif

Guest JasonW

In that case I'd say do what seems right to you.... my own view - if it's not moving drastically then move it and update the co-ords as soon as humanly possible.

Of course it's only courtesy to at least attempt to notify would-be cachers before you make the move to prevent wasted journeys. So perhaps one of the ideas below might assist you in that:

Plan A: Log the fact that you're going to move it a few days before you do so, to warn anyone that might be caching ahead.... something along the lines of "This cache will be relocated on dd Month Year, and the updated co-ordinates will be posted here then" - after you've edited the co-ordinates you can delete the log.

Plan B: Mark the cache as being somewhere way out of the way (eg 00d00.000N 00d00.000W) until you move it then if someone does a lat/long search it's unlikely to come up.

Of course you could combine both of the above plans icon_smile.gif

Guest karl

I would say if possible move the cache to somewhere closeby.. like a mile or so away.. then change the cord's on the website.. then where the cached used to be tape a piece of with the new cord on it.

peace

karl

Guest kk6t

I plan on moving the cache only a couple hundred yards or so....just enough to get it of the way of any potential problems. I like the idea of posting that the cache will be moved as of a certain date.

Guest Pokey

Terry

I personally liked the cache location where it is. The other angle to this is to notify the Park Office over at the parking lot on Warner about the homeless camp and let them clear them out. Any place there that is a good cache hiding spot is most likely a good camping spot for the homeless, so let the city / State Parks Department take care of it.

Just an idea

Jeff

Guest chrome

quote:
Originally posted by Gumby&Pokey:

Terry

I personally liked the cache location where it is. The other angle to this is to notify the Park Office over at the parking lot on Warner about the homeless camp and let them clear them out. Any place there that is a good cache hiding spot is most likely a good camping spot for the homeless, so let the city / State Parks Department take care of it.

Just an idea

Jeff

Did I really read this here? So an unfortunate person who is without home and a roof over his head should be moved from what protection he has mustered so that your cache will be safe? This is by far the saddest thing I've heard in quite some time.

Guest Silver

quote:
Originally posted by chrome:

Did I really read this here? So an unfortunate person who is without home and a roof over his head should be moved from what protection he has mustered so that your cache will be safe? This is by far the saddest thing I've heard in quite some time.

I think the general issue is that someone is not able to enjoy the park, for whatever reason, because someone decided to use the park as a home. I don't profess to know the answer to the homeless problem, but turning parks into camping grounds doesn't seem to be the best answer.

Silver

Guest Pokey

the bushes along their walk. The issue of the homeless is one the city has to workout, but turning parks in to squatters camps is not the answer.

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by Silver:

turning parks into camping grounds doesn't seem to be the best answer.

Silver

True enough, but harrassing the homeless is no answer, either. Why advocate either?

Public policy about the homeless is a worthy topic of discussion, but a geocaching forum is not the place for it.

But one note of warning. If you decide to deal with the problem of homeless squatters interfering with the placement of geocaches by asking local authorities to move the squatters, you run a risk. That risk is that the press will hear about your efforts and publish a story along the lines of "Well-to-do techies with their expensive toys give the heave-ho to poor folk down on their luck."

This hobby is already at some risk of antagonizing environmentalists. Don't risk giving the social workers a reason to dislike geocaching, too. We can use all the friends we can get.

Guest bearboy

I think all those people that are sypathetic to those homeless should go to the get a JOB site and print off a bunch of applications and give them to the homeless.How many of them would really act upon the news that they could get a job? I for one am not very sympathetic to ALL homeless people.I know that some folks have just had a run of bad luck but others make it a way of life without trying to change themselves.I say move the homeless leave the cache.Im sure I will get bashed for my comments but GET A JOB!!!!!!!

Guest WaylandersMA

quote:
Originally posted by bearboy:

Im sure I will get bashed for my comments but GET A JOB!!!!!!!

I'm too dumbfounded to bash.

Paul

Guest jeremy

Geocaching isn't really an outlet for political rhetoric. Whatever opinion you may have about homeless people, it's not appropriate for this forum.

As for the cache, there were some great recommendations. I'd personally remove it since the likelihood of the cache being discovered by the homeless folks is likely and makes more sense to find a better place for it.

I'm going to close out this thread.

Jeremy