What is proper etiquette?...and other ?'s

Guest DorkyDog

Guest DorkyDog

I'm very new to geocaching. I was just curious about proper geocaching etiquette? I recently found a cache at the exact moment a friendly couple was uncovering it. What should I have done? Also, what is considered fair trading? Any help on these questions or other important things would be great. Thanks!

Guest kernbob

Well for me , I know I always refer to 'Amy' when I have a question like this.

I'm refering to the "Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette".

Like some organizations have adopted the Roberts Rules of Order to maintain their dignity. I PROPOSE we adopt this wonderful book to be our collective guide to the unponderable questions in geocaching.

Learn to greet people nicely; answer in words ("Yes, thank you") instead of grunts ("Uh-Huh")

Play your radio or cassette player so softly that no one around you on the bus, on the beach or in the park will be bothered.

Be considerate of the performers in a theater or concert hall as well as of those sitting around you. No chewing-gum-smacking, rustling of programs, and rattling of gum and candy wrappersl

Give your seat on the bus to someone who needs it.

When you sneeze or cough, especially in close quarters on a crowded bus or in an elevator, do it into your handkerchief, with your face turned away from those closest to you. Always say "Excuse me please" afterward.

Don't try to cheat in a line.

Treat books with the greatest of respect; never mark them, and always return them promptly.

Never spit, pick your teeth, comb your hair, or fiddle with your nails in public.

Move through crowds carefully, paying attention not to bump anyone; apologize if you do bump someone.

Don't be boisterous with your friends; polite people are inconspicuous.

Don't write graffiti or deface public property.

Always place all your litter in the trash receptacles; never throw anything on the streets or leave it in cabs or on public transport.

Hold open the postbox lid for someone approaching who does not have two hands free; hold open the doors for someone rushing to get on your elevator (by pushing the OPEN button).

When you dial the wrong number, say I'm very sorry" before hanging up.

Let someone with only one or two items go ahead of you in the supermarket checkout line if you have many items.

Move over a seat at a counter, when your place would otherwise separate two friends who wish to sit together.

This seems like the perfect guide to etiquette for us.

Choberiba, any comments on this one?

Kernbob,

(excuse me,so sorry for the fauxpas)

Sincerely Yours,

Mr. Kernbob Hicks

Guest madphatboy2

None of this pertains to our sport except this one: Always place all your litter in the trash receptacles; never throw anything on the streets or leave it in cabs or on public transport.

What he wants (and DO correct me if i'm wrong) are general guidelines for geocaching etiquette, in which case the thread links I have supplied will give him most of his answers.

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

other cacher while on a cache hunt.

He was very friendly, and I hunted down and he hunted up. One of my friends ended up holding onto his dog's leash so his daughter could hunt, too.

I gave up before he did -- we were running short of daylight, there was another cache I wanted to try and I did feel a little like my finding it might spoil his hunt (although his finding it wouldn't have spoiled mine!) He gave us directions to another microcache in the park, then we said goodbye.

When I got home I checked the cache page; he had found the cache and commented that he had wished he could find us and let us know it was, in fact, there.

Long story short (yeah, too late, I know) ... Can't tell you what the proper etiquette was, but I so seldom see other cachers, it's fun to meet them and put a face with the name (or in this case, a name with the face!)

Guest madphatboy2

Things like that don't happen all the time. While I was doing some maintenance on one of my caches I ran into some cachers. It was definately nice to meet them. Since then, i've not ran into any. But hey, I don't mind talking to strangers on a park bench, let alone out in the wilderness. Will that type of attitude get me killed? icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest madphatboy2

Things like that don't happen all the time. While I was doing some maintenance on one of my caches I ran into some cachers. It was definately nice to meet them. Since then, i've not ran into any. But hey, I don't mind talking to strangers on a park bench, let alone out in the wilderness. Will that type of attitude get me killed? icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

MPB2

I had a cacher greet me after I had put the cache back. It was in a park in the city and he was walking by and politly waited till I was done to say hello. We chatted for about 15 minutes after that and it turned out he had planted the first cache I'd ever visited!

Anyways, if you come across other cachers at the exact moment while they are looking at the cache and you don't have time to avoid them then say "Hello!!!" Smile! Chat! but most important, wait until they are done with the cache before you take it to fill out the log book and trade stuff.

Other then that, if I see other people I try to avoid them. I treat it like a recce patrol and avoid enemy contact! If I happened to see some people from a distance at a cache and it was clear that they had found it I would sit and wait until they were done before "finding" it.

------------------

MrCpu

mrcpu@myrealbox.com

Finds

Hides

quote:
Originally posted by DorkyDog:

I recently found a cache at the exact moment a friendly couple was uncovering it. What should I have done?

Personally, I would consider finding a friendly couple as enjoyable as finding a cache. Finding the cache and a friendly couple? Bonus!

What should you have done? I would just chalk it up as part of the experience I guess. Most cachers would say that the experience getting to the cache is more enjoyable then the cache itself (I would agree). You were out looking and ran into them. You've now seen the hiding spot. Not much you can do about it except say hello and be friendly yourself.

As far as logging it as "Other" or "Found It"? I would log it as "Other" myself, but you will probably get opinions that vary on this. Choose what you think is right.

quote:
Also, what is considered fair trading?

Just put something in the cache that meets (or exceeds) the value of an item(s) you take from the cache. If you don't have anything for trade, just sign the logbook. Simple as that.

Oh, and welcome to Geocaching. Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

-exConn

------------------

What is Project Virginia?

quote:
Originally posted by DorkyDog:

I recently found a cache at the exact moment a friendly couple was uncovering it. What should I have done?

Personally, I would consider finding a friendly couple as enjoyable as finding a cache. Finding the cache and a friendly couple? Bonus!

What should you have done? I would just chalk it up as part of the experience I guess. Most cachers would say that the experience getting to the cache is more enjoyable then the cache itself (I would agree). You were out looking and ran into them. You've now seen the hiding spot. Not much you can do about it except say hello and be friendly yourself.

As far as logging it as "Other" or "Found It"? I would log it as "Other" myself, but you will probably get opinions that vary on this. Choose what you think is right.

quote:
Also, what is considered fair trading?

Just put something in the cache that meets (or exceeds) the value of an item(s) you take from the cache. If you don't have anything for trade, just sign the logbook. Simple as that.

Oh, and welcome to Geocaching. Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

-exConn

------------------

What is Project Virginia?

Guest King Pellinore

the biggest and best rule of thumb for all this stuff is to put yourself in the other guys position. "What would I want me to do if I were they?"

Recently ran into TrackerB, talked for a bit, then asked if they'd like to team up for the rest of the multicache. Worked out well.

Guest Misguided One

I only started caching a couple of weeks ago, was on my second hunt (a multi-cache) and was standing right next to the second waypoint and hadn't found the container, yet. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a famaily walking toward me. The little girl in the family comes running up and says " Have you found it yet? I know where it is.", and she promptly reached into the tree I was standing next to, and pulled out a small container with coords for the next waypoint. After chatting for a minute we all started of in the same direction, at this point the girl asked if I wanted to come along with them to the next spot. I graciously said that I would like them to have a good family outting, and that I would come back another time.