Recreational Waypoints Database

Guest bunkerdave

Guest bunkerdave

I think it would be useful to all of us if we, as a group, were to compile a database of waypoints, not just for GeoCaches, but also for points of interest we visited as we are out and about doing whatever we do. This could include lots of things of general interest, such as parks, esp. National Parks and facilities therein, rest stops, historical sites, picnic areas, hiking trailheads, etc. With the EasyGPS now easily available and usable, I bet even a novice like myself could handle this project. I would love to have such a database, and I bet the data would be transferrable via e-mail. Any thoughts or criticism?

If you have an interesting waypoint, send it to me in WGS-84 and I will start compiling it, just to see how it works.

------------------

David Wallentine

dwallent34@yahoo.com

Guest Artful Dodger

Actually that is a good idea Dave. There is a similar thing already out there on Yahoo's Groups forum.

GPS Waypoints

They have just created a database on the forum for the user defined recreational waypoints.

It would be cool if this database feature was on this Geocaching site, however. Notch it up to another request on the Features Wishlist, I guess.

Dodger

Guest bunkerdave

Actually, that is where I got the idea - I got an e-mail telling me about the group, but when I went there, I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it. Since we are all here so often, it would be pretty slick if we could just enter waypoints in here whenever we got the time/urge.

Jeremy does such a fine job with this site, I would really like to see his expertise applied to something like this, which actually would serve all GPS users, including people who will never try geocaching. I go to places all the time, that I know others would like to have a waypoint for, and I just don't know how to get the coords out so people can have it. There are other ways to get the coords, of course, but a database just seems like it would be easier and more accurate to use.

Guest c_oflynn

You have to join the group. When done, you can view the "files" section. However there isn't many files icon_frown.gif Jeremy could probably use the source code from this Geocaching Website, then just have a new database. It would be perfect. You could search for waypoints near you, upload pictures, discuss waypoints etc. Of course this would be a fair amount of (more) work for Jeremy icon_wink.gif

Colin

Guest c_oflynn

You have to join the group. When done, you can view the "files" section. However there isn't many files icon_frown.gif Jeremy could probably use the source code from this Geocaching Website, then just have a new database. It would be perfect. You could search for waypoints near you, upload pictures, discuss waypoints etc. Of course this would be a fair amount of (more) work for Jeremy icon_wink.gif

Colin

Guest Artful Dodger

I think my best waypoint website to date is the one run by the US Geological Survey at USGS

Still, even with that link, you need to know what you are looking for as opposed to a database with city/places with itslists of all the hotspots waypoints.

Guest jeremy

There is an "upload to Groundspeak" function in the Groundspeak version of EasyGPS. If you right-click over a waypoint in EasyGPS (or a bunch of waypoints) you can use the "upload to Groundspeak" option to send those waypoints. It also works for routes, and a special ExpertGPS for Groundspeak will allow you to upload tracks as well.

(This isn't active right now. If you use the function it will go to a web page explaining what it will be. However, the data *is* uploaded to a database table. I'm just not doing anything with it yet)

Initially the plan was to allow folks the ability to post new caches without having to hand-enter them into the site. However I was planning on allowing you to add additional waypoints for a cache (like recommended parking locations, things to see along the way), routes (like a preferred path), and tracks to show others how you got there.

The next step is to allow people to create other types of waypoints, routes and tracks on Groundspeak.

Regarding the USGS placenames database, this is what I use when you click to download the cache coordinates. Along with the batch download capability for caches, I will be adding a batch download capability for local waypoints as well.

Dynamic maps will be critical for this next step on the site. I'm also working to get a professional mapping application to allow this. Given the amount of free time I have, however, this may be slow going.

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 22 June 2001).]

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I will be adding a batch download capability for local waypoints as well.

Jeremy

Attaboy! Keep up the good work, dude! icon_smile.gif

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I will be adding a batch download capability for local waypoints as well.

Jeremy

Attaboy! Keep up the good work, dude! icon_smile.gif

Guest bunkerdave

Wow. So I guess I am a little behind on this topic, eh? Glad to see that, as I suspected, Jeremy, et al, is/are all over this project. I should have figured as much.

Guest topografix

You can download all the USGS placenames for your entire state from http://www.topografix.com/data.asp

These data files work in PanTerra or ExpertGPS.

Since we're on the topic of exchanging GPS data, what would you all be interested in seeing as a solution? You've all seen the "Find Waypoints" button in EasyGPS, and so you must know that we're thinking about ways to make it easy to exchange GPS data.

The way I see it, you click on a waypoint and say "Show me all hiking-related GPS files within 5 miles of here" and the software goes off and gets a list of matching files for you to view.

My two questions for everyone:

- what types of waypoint data would you actually search for and use?

- what data would you actually publish and share?

I've been collecting GPS data for a few years now, and there's not much of it that I'd share. Most of the waypoints still have names like 001, 002, etc.

I've been forcing myself to map out some local recreation areas as a way to test ExpertGPS and to get some sample data files for public distribution. It's a lot of work!

Anyway, I'm very interested to hear what people have to say on the subject. If you want to write me off-line, you can reach me at waypoints @ topografix.com

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest Mike_Teague

the problem with a database of generally "interesting" waypoints is, just because you (or someone else) find them interesting, doesn't mean anyone else will...

In fact, in my brief experience with Virtual Geocaches, (which is basically the same thing) I've got to the site, and thought "big ******* deal, this is lame".. I was led to a bronze statue of an elk (I think it was an elk. See, I dont even remember!)in front of a museum on my first "virtual cache" search. Not terribly entertaining... I coulda found that spot with a pamphlet from the local Chamber of Commerce..

Nevertheless... I think a database of "interesting waypoints" with detailed descriptions might be useful, but I don't think it falls within the realm of "geocaching"...

Guest bunkerdave

Mike:

I agree that a list of waypoints is not exactly GeoCaching, and I can empathize with your experience with virtual caches.

I guess what I am hoping for is a way to access locations that only locals in an area know about, since those always seem to be the "best" places. Hot springs are one of my favorite out-of-the-way places to visit, esp. the kind you hike to and they sit in the middle of the woods somewhere. Most of my solo hikes are pretty long, but I also like to take short hikes (under 1 mile)with my wife and young daughter and it can be difficult to locate trailheads unless you have some really good directions. You never know what a trail is going to give you.

I did a little browsing today, and it looks like there really is quite a bit of data already compiled for this sort of thing. Thanks to all of you for your responses.