unarchiving a cache

Guest JMaxamillion

Guest JMaxamillion

how would i go about unarchiving a cache

i archived it so i could work on it with different html codes and such and now im ready to reintroduce him to the public eye but i dont know how

------------------

MAX

Guest arffer

quote:
Originally posted by erik88L-R:

a quicker way would be to just pull it up in it's archived state and do a bit of copy and paste to create a new replica.

Actually, this is a very good idea. A few months back I submitted a cache and immediatly archived it. I called it "development cache".

Now I design and refine all my caches on this archived cache. Then when ready, I copy and past to a new cache, then submit it.

then I reuse the same archived cache to design and refine my next one. It doesn't really over populate the database, its only one cache that I keep using over and over.

------------------

Team CacheCows of Wisconsin

Guest Choberiba

Arffer: submitted a cache and immediatly archived it.

?????????????

Okay, I have no issues with taking up space in the database. I am just a little confused at to how this would be of benefit to you.

You might need to type slowly with this one.

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

Actually, this is a very good idea. A few months back I submitted a cache and immediatly archived it. I called it "development cache".

Not really a bad idea if you don't want to go through the process of constatly editing a cache once it's online. A development cache like this allows you to try out HTML coding to see how it will look on the final page. Once you're ready, just copy and paste and you'll have a cache that's ready to go.

BTW - arffer had his Christmas Cam Cache on his development page for a while and even had me beta test it.

quote:

Now I design and refine all my caches on this archived cache. Then when ready, I copy and past to a new cache, then submit it.

then I reuse the same archived cache to design and refine my next one. It doesn't really over populate the database, its only one cache that I keep using over and over.

Not bad (considering I think I gave you that idea icon_wink.gif). The key difference is that you reuse one site. I just want to make sure that people don't set up a cache archive it and then setup the identical one again over and over. We don't need a database twice the size as necessary.

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 06 January 2002).]

Guest Markwell

quote:

Not really a bad idea if you don't want to go through the process of constatly editing a cache once it's online. A development cache like this allows you to try out HTML coding to see how it will look on the final page. Once you're ready, just copy and paste and you'll have a cache that's ready to go.

BTW - arffer had his Christmas Cam Cache on his development page for a while and even had me beta test it.

quote:

Not bad (considering I think I gave you that idea icon_wink.gif). The key difference is that you reuse one site. I just want to make sure that people don't set up a cache archive it and then setup the identical one again over and over. We don't need a database twice the size as necessary.

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 06 January 2002).]

Guest arffer

Markwell,

Yes, it was indeed your excellent idea. I would have credited you, but thought it would look rather odd considering your earlier post regarding increasing the database size.

Your point is very clear now related to a cacher only making ONE development cache and reusing it.

Guest arffer

as part of the approval process. I have had caches approved in as little as 15 minutes from when I submitted it.

15 minutes is often not enough time to correct my errors and/or other issues before the reviewrs get it. One thing the reviewers look for are HTML and other page errors. If I have any, they are very likely to not approve my cache and notify me of the problems, which in fact I was already scrambling to correct.

By using this 'development' cache, I can get everything looking perfect before the reviewers see it. I can take days or weeks to refine a cache page. Then when its ready in my opinion, I copy and past to a new cache form and sumbit it. The reviwers see the final version, and not a work in progress.

Now, here's where you might be still asking why this is all necessary, as cache pages are so simple to fill out. Markwell and I are not suggesting this process for simple cache pages. We are talking about cache pages that are using java script, images, tables, forms, CGI, etc. that need a lot of work to get just right.

Also, some of us create cache pages that are so complex, they don't fit into the alloted space. So we have to make some of the contents modular, convert to a javascript include file, upload those and link them into the cache page. Until that process is completed, the page can actually look empty.

Take a look at some of my examples:

Note: That last example has had much of its extra content removed as the event is now over. Leading up to the event, it had animated snowflakes descending down the page, and music. During the event, it the cache page had a web cam that the cache page viewer could control, and a speech synthisizer that they could use to submit greetings that were spoken by a remote server at the party.

Guest JMaxamillion

Yeah thats a great idea thats what i will do with it.

im going to hide the cache tuesday so i will post a link to it then

------------------

MAX

Guest Choberiba

I get it....

But my handle is Choberiba (So very bad)

so I can't help but play devil's advocate for a moment.

Say you've created a cache named scratch-n-sniff and you'd like to add another cache by the name of sit-n-spin

You're not talking about a whole heap-a-time here. You just need a pre-view before submitting sit-n-spin for review.

Why not just cut-n-paste the contents of scratch-n-sniff into a safe spot (notepad), changing the description of scratch-n-sniff to one that portays your intended message for sit-n-spin.

You can review and resubmit as often as needed with only a little more effort on your part and not have an archived cache (who's space I care not a lick about)

It'll cost you an extra five seconds for each cache to avoid the permenantly archived submission.

Do you seek what I seek

That was a brilliant web page by-the-way.

I was the Santa who became stuck in the chimney.

Guest Markwell

Only thing I can add is that sometimes the HTML I so carefully plan out on notepad doesn't transfer in exactly to the Geocache page because of the coding that already exists on the Geocaching site (width, etc.).

With that in mind, I don't use mine so much as "development" but I call mine "Markwell's Repository" where I upload images and secondary files for cache pages. That way, my logo can be in one location, and I can link it multiple times - without having it on a different server.

2485_1100.jpg

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Guest arffer

seek what I seek

That was a brilliant web page by-the-way.

I was the Santa who became stuck in the chimney.

Thanks! Those at the party got a laugh from your greeting, but a couple of the kids were concerned as I had a fire in the fireplace at that time!

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 07 January 2002).]

Guest Choberiba

[ Johnny Archive and the secret Santa ]

You've sold me on the archive idea for those who lack reliable webspace.

:::Barny Fife tugs on his pants, wrinkles his nose, and proclaims::: I don't have to worry about such things.

I have 30 megebytes of webspace available between my ISP and usenet provider.

SmartFTP is much easier for me to use.

------

Next years X-mess get together should allow people to submit audible messages (Not just read by the computer)

You'd have to pre-listen before the kids heard (just-in-case) but it could open up a different experience that might even be favorable.

Guest arffer

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Next years X-mess get together should allow people to submit audible messages (Not just read by the computer)

Not everyone has a mic on their computer. The typed greeting spoken aloud by the computer allowed everyone to participate.

quote:
You'd have to pre-listen before the kids heard (just-in-case) but it could open up a different experience that might even be favorable.

I had some basic filtering written into the programming for that purpose. Even though we are all genteel geocachers, it only takes one to spoil the party!

Happy Caching!

Guest Markwell

What about the acceptance of wav files (or MP3 or whatever) as an additional option? I would have gladly sent you and yours a short (<100K) message) to be played out. Maybe something to do at x:30 of each hour... icon_wink.gif

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Guest Markwell

What about the acceptance of wav files (or MP3 or whatever) as an additional option? I would have gladly sent you and yours a short (<100K) message) to be played out. Maybe something to do at x:30 of each hour... icon_wink.gif

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Guest arffer

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Hmm, there's an idea. I of course couldn't auto-filter it, but that shouldn't be a problem amongst cachers. I'll work on it for next year... but then again, your coming in person next year, aren't you ;-)

Guest arffer

quote:

Hmm, there's an idea. I of course couldn't auto-filter it, but that shouldn't be a problem amongst cachers. I'll work on it for next year... but then again, your coming in person next year, aren't you ;-)

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by JMaxamillion:

i used the development idea and just copyed over my info here is the final product

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12834

Just a suggestion: you might try turning off the "center" feature at the end of your text so that Jeremy's coded stuff doesn't get centered.

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

quote:

Just a suggestion: you might try turning off the "center" feature at the end of your text so that Jeremy's coded stuff doesn't get centered.

also, the images you use need to be linked from someplace accessible. We arent gonna see them when they are located at file://C:WINDOWSDesktophtmlfolderblondebeard_animated.gif

Guest Markwell

SDesktophtmlfolderblondebeard_animated.gif[/b]

Hence, Markwell's Repository, mentioned above (06 January 2002 08:19 PM), and the portion of arffer's response posted 07 January 2002 12:02 PM.

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Guest JMaxamillion

I dont understand all the images and such work on my computer but when i tryed it on another computer none of it worked. How could i make the files accesable could you guys please help me. I was really proud of myself but now it seem i goofed up big somewhere.

MAX

quote:

I dont understand all the images and such work on my computer but when i tryed it on another computer none of it worked. How could i make the files accesable could you guys please help me. I was really proud of myself but now it seem i goofed up big somewhere.

MAX

Don't sweat it, you are very close.

1. Log in and bring up your development site
  2. Use the 'upload images' option in the upper right corner to upload eacj of your images from your computer.
  3. After each image is uploaded, they will be listed at the bottom of your development page. Each one will have a little camera icon next to it. Right click on the image's name, then left click on 'Copy Shortcut'. This will copy the location of the image file.
  4. In a seperate browser window, bring up your final cache page and edit it.
  5. Locate where that particular image is referenced, and paste in the new address.
  6. Continue copying the shortcuts and pasting them into the img src addresses for each image.
  7. Save your newly edited cache page, and the images should now be viewable for everyone

What this does is move a copy of the images off your computer and onto Jeremy's webserver so the world can see them. Once uploaded, the copy shortcut copies the URL that the image has on Jeremy's webserver. Then you paste that address into the cache's page so we can see them.

Good luck!

quote:

how do these pages look now?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=3270

Okay, on this one the animated gif text and picture of Urtle that appears right under the animated text is fine. BUT the second picture of Urtle doesn't work. The reference to this second picture is to a cache page, not to an image file. The windup fish at the bottom also works fine.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12834

The images on this one all look fine.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11550

They all look fine on this one too!

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 14 January 2002).]