How Will Todays (911/01) events affect our sport.

Guest clan ferguson

Guest clan ferguson

First my hearts go out to the families of the victims of todays attack.

My Thanks go out to all those who are risking there saftey to save those who have or yet still may survive.

But, With such a vicious attack unprevoked attack, that was apperently not know it was coming. I do believe that security around the country will be hightened not to mention the amount of paranioa this will create among the public, will we be able to continue, Not just hiding but, the seeking of caches?

I only say this because I was accosed by a overly sepicous property owner whose property bordered a forest area. And that was Saturday.

James

-Clan Ferguson

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by clan ferguson:

I do believe that security around the country will be hightened not to mention the amount of paranioa this will create among the public, will we be able to continue, Not just hiding but, the seeking of caches?

I don't see how todays events relate to geocaching.

Guest nlazarus

In light of this terrible tragedy I hope that everyone will remmeber througout the country people and government will be on hieghtened alert for strange objects. Please make sure that all of your caches are clearly marked on the exterior of the cache, include the website. For those of you who are planning new caches, please consider asking for permission.

Guest clan ferguson

(copied from from my reply in another thread)

These were serious terroist attacks. and just because they used aircraft does not mean authorities and the general populacice won't be warry of indivuals lurking around with little yellow gadgets placing and seeking odd looking packages. Granted most are in forested and wildneress regions. but what about ones like Quasimodo's Quandary (waypoint GC881)Where we would be in vechicles not local to the area lurking around public buildings and heavely populated parks? If you did not now what Geocaching was or what a GPS unit looked like would this not make you suspicious?

In light of what has happened in New York and DC. It would make me a little warry.

Would this not create a worry about the continuence of this sport?

James

-Clan Ferguson

people have a tendancy to take an event like this and try and see how it will affect every

single aspect of their and everyones lives

its called dramatizing

although this was a terrible thing today

believe me people will wake up tomorrow and go to work and eat lunch and go home

just like any other day

i dont mean to trivialise the situation

but to think that gps will be cut off or affected at all is like saying nobody will ever fly again

because of this

simply not even a consideration

Guest Texas-Jacksons

This is a very sad day for the world. Our sense of security has been shaken in nations around the globe. We are all leery of suspicious packages (especially a displaced ammo box). I can't deny that the images of people running for their lives from bomb threats will cross my mind the next time I approach an ammo box cache. How easily we may all be susceptible to tragedy.

On a similar subject. Geocaching may suffer, however if scrambling satellites again will help to prevent future attacks on our soil, I happily condone. I only mention this because I happened to turn my eTrex on this afternoon and had trouble receiving better than 35 foot accuracy. For 10 minutes it read 209 feet.

Finally, GOD BLESS AMERICA.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL... I pray that you and yours are safe and well.

------------------

Mark and Kimberly Jackson

www.texas-jacksons.com/geocaching/

i dont think there is anything to worry about. i was searching for a cache in a public area and was busted by security. i just explained to him that i was geocaching.

Showed him the contents and the paper inside the cache. He thought it was great and even signed the log book. just keep away from federal buildings, military bases etc.

jonser

Guest cache_ninja

from the way some people are acting in this country, you might have had a different experience if you were an arab american.....

regarding the this has "nothing to do with geocaching" sentiment above, for the meantime, i disagree...

i dunno about where everyone else is, but in NYC, people are very wary...i think if some people, laypeople, or security, saw a person obviously not trying to be noticed, in a very crowded/pubic area, in central park, or on a bridge to a boro for instance, removing or hiding/rehiding a small box while looking at a strange looking device, they would be quick in jumping to conclusions.

granted, security/cops might be understanding later, but i can guarantee it would not be a favorable experience for the 'cacher....

c/n

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 14 September 2001).]

I am concerned that recent tragic events may once again reduce the accuracy of our GPS equipment to over a 300 foot.This indeed would be a serious blow to our geocaching activities. I would hope it would be only temporary yet I understand and support the need for such measures in these troubling times.

------------------

Call me crazy, but 300 foot accuracy is still good enough to fly within visual range of most targets.

I do understand increased security, desired retribution, etc. But lets keep our heads on straight here.

Jeremy

Here's the difference. Instead of hiding a cache outside the nuclear sub base fence, you hide one out on a sand spit somewhere. Just need to use a little common sense. (and I don't think they have a need to turn on SA again unless we are all diving for the bunkers)

GPS is many different things to many different people. I'm no rocket scientist but SA apparently does/did more than just affect the final target coordinates. Maybe any rocket scientist's among us could clarify one simply doesn't strap a GPS to the nose of a rocket (per say) and expect it to launch, fly or target properly.

Cheers, Kerry.