Know before you go

Guest worldtraveler

Guest worldtraveler

There has been a lot of discussion regarding transport/use of GPS receivers on aircraft, and the multiple threads have covered the topic pretty thoroughly. After posting my most recent response, I began thinking that it may warrant being listed as a new topic, so I've copied it here. Maybe it will help someone stay out of jail. Read on...

An important consideration when traveling abroad is to be sure the countries you are traveling to/through will allow the importation/use of GPS receivers and, if so, whether any restrictions apply. Same thing goes for 2-way radios and some other electronic devices.

Some countries (Russia, for example) have specific restrictions/requirements. Failure to follow them may result in forfeiture of the unit, customs fines, and imprisonment.

Remember, some of the stuff we use as toys may be viewed by foreign officials as espionage tools. You should always check the Consular Information Sheet and Travel Warnings for your destination before you depart the U.S. Go to:

http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html

Happy trails. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Worldtraveler