New Locationless Cache Type (Policies?)

Jeremy

Not big on any sort of scoring thing. Personally, I think I'm beyond that. In fact I no longer even hesitate on logging "No Finds". It use to be tough to do that, but now it's seems a vital part of the sport to me. I recently had a no find Company Time which was as much fun to me as any find.

On the other topic, yes I think that's another good point. Each cache that is posted should require that the cache placer has also visted a coordinate required to log a find. Perhaps we should even go so far as to say that the cache placer should have to visit EACH AND EVERY coordinate that he posts as a cache. (in that case I would have to alter my Palindrome Cache)

2573_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

I suppose I'm the guilty party for starting all this with my Cache of Palindromes cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8235 , so maybe I can be of some help.

I don't know. Your cache does start with coordinates. I'd like to think that my cache, Don't Know Much About History, is where the downhill slide started. There were a few before mine, but they seemed to explode soon after mine got started.

quote:
Creativity is very important to the vitality of Geocaching. But we must also stay focused on what it is we are doing. When I have put caches together there are certain elements I try to focus on. Creativity, WOW!locations, education, innovation. But they must still fit within parameters. Those parameters are:

The process: Coordinates > GPS > The find. NOT The find> GPS> Coordinates. (The latter is not Geocaching.)

The FIND can be virtual or physical or even a set of coordinates, but it must follow the process and must be PHYSICALLY visited, and must be visited AFTER the cache is posted.The Game is not on till the cache is posted.

Only one find per cache element.

You must meet the cache placers requirement to log a find.

Process? I'm more interested in the ends than means. Admittedly vague, the ends are getting out, finding something, and having a good time doing it. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. 120+ logs, a few outside the US, most of them interesting. 24 people are watching it, so other people are apparently interested in it.

Having said that, I have spent alot more time than I hoped hounding people for proof pics, cooordinates, and marker text. But most people have complied with my requests and I've only had to delete a few entries.

rdw

Virtual (locationless) caches are great for a change of pace. I think there is a place for them provided that they are on fixed objects and places where the co-ords can be verified. I have recently logged a rash of them myself and ok it was fun, but now it's time to get back to some REAL geocaching.

Jeremy I think you should just keep them under control by strictly limiting the number of virtuals on the system at any one time.

Hounddog

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

We've created a separate "Locationless Cache" type. If you have a locationless cache, please move it into the new section. I'm moving the type so it will no longer come up on search results pages by location.

The locationless caches (well at least one that I know of) are still showing up when I do I search by distance from my zip code. I thought from the above statement, that this would not be the case.

Thanks

In the GPS model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...through creeks, thorn bushes, horse piles, whatever....

...Is not the idea of Geocaching to input coordinates, then using your GPS you SEARCH out a find? Those where to find comes first are fun to see and perhaps to do, but they are really just postcards from a different place. I think there is a place for them but not in the FIND totals.

I am a bit confused though, and would like some input... what is it we are defining as LOCATIONLESS? How are we defining it?

anyone...?

2573_200.jpg

quote:

...Is not the idea of Geocaching to input coordinates, then using your GPS you SEARCH out a find? Those where to find comes first are fun to see and perhaps to do, but they are really just postcards from a different place. I think there is a place for them but not in the FIND totals.

I am a bit confused though, and would like some input... what is it we are defining as LOCATIONLESS? How are we defining it?

anyone...?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/2573_200.jpg

Locationless are a form of virtual caches where you don't have to navigate to get there. The posted coords are bogus. They seem like a scavenger hunt where you have to find something first and then secondly, post the coords to make it legit.

I saw one of these that required you to post a pic of a "statue" of the object in question and somebody logged a pic of a photograph of the object in question. And they still got the find. Are we padding are numbers with these or what! icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"

quote:

anyone...?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/2573_200.jpg

Locationless are a form of virtual caches where you don't have to navigate to get there. The posted coords are bogus. They seem like a scavenger hunt where you have to find something first and then secondly, post the coords to make it legit.

I saw one of these that required you to post a pic of a "statue" of the object in question and somebody logged a pic of a photograph of the object in question. And they still got the find. Are we padding are numbers with these or what! icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"