I am not so sure If I like the forums

Guest E=Mc2

I love to be able to communicate with each other. Especially since we all are into geocaching. So far every cacher I have met is very friendly and I have no problems at all with them. I have hidden 3 caches myself and have found 40. I just visited the forums a few days ago and posted a question. But after reading some other topics, I see a lot of bickering like little children. I am not sure if I will visit again. Just wish that we would all get back to the subject of "geocaching". This is written after reading the "Trash" thread

Guest BigDoggie

Don't sell the forums too short. There is a LOT of good info here! Especially when a person asks a legitimate question... where else can you gt an answer in minutes?

When you have several thousand people, you will have several thousand opinions. When you have several thousand personalities, you will have people who range from timid lurkers to loud, opinionated lunks.

No one says you have to read ever thread, or even every message in a thread that interests you. If you don't like what is being said, move on to the next thread.

Please don't let one inflammatory post turn you off from these forums. You will learn, and teach, share and make friends with some wonderful people by sticking around. The post by trash is best left ignored- it is obvious that person is not interested in an open minded discussion- so I feel everyone should agree to disagree (or just agree as the case may be) and move on. Remember, the anonymity of posting in forums is both a blessing and a curse- it allows people to feel more comfortable opening up their thoughts and feelings, however it does allow a very few to be deceitful as well. We have no proof trash is who he says he is (an outdoors person who happened upon a cache), it could be a group of college students from the University of Wherever trying to stir up ill feelings, or it could be a housebound Grandma from Albuquerque who is lonely. It could also be just a person who has tried to state their views and got a heated discussion. It doesn't really matter though, it is time to move on IMO.

As for the forums- they are a really great resource for getting to know the other Geocachers in your state or area better. You can get quick answers to questions about a wide range of topics. You can share some of your BTDT (Been there Done that) knowledge to newcomers. In ANY large group you will have some that you don't agree with their style- and that will happen here as well. You do have the power though to ignore it.

Hope you stay! mav

quote:

If you don't like what is being said, move on to the next thread.[/b]

I will keep that in mind. I actually found out about geocaching from another forum( www.wheresgeorge.com) and it just looked like some try to make things ugly. Maybe I posted a bit to soon. Soory, I just have seen some really bad forums as of late.

Peace and Have Fun!!!!

E=Mc2

Guest jeremy

HOW DARE YOU!

icon_smile.gif

Just kidding. I think the basic word here is "acceptance" (or perhaps "patience"). If anything the sport of geocaching is as close as you can get to a melting pot. Since it is so indescriminate you'll get all kinds of folks.

I enjoy the posts, even trash's - if anything it keeps the thought of environmentalism close and real, so it's always on your mind. There is some negativity but the majority of folks here enjoy the sport and are quite friendly.

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

HOW DARE YOU!

icon_smile.gif

Just kidding. I think the basic word here is "acceptance" (or perhaps "patience"). If anything the sport of geocaching is as close as you can get to a melting pot. Since it is so indescriminate you'll get all kinds of folks.

I enjoy the posts, even trash's - if anything it keeps the thought of environmentalism close and real, so it's always on your mind. There is some negativity but the majority of folks here enjoy the sport and are quite friendly.

Jeremy

Guest brokenwing

I think it's just because we love this sport so much that sometimes discussions get a little heated. It not that anyone here is a bad person per se, some folks just get upset when they perceive a threat to something they care so much about.

That is exactly what happened in the "trash" thread. Thankfully, in the end, cooler heads prevailed. I think if you follow most of the other controversial threads, you will find the same thing generally happens. In the end, we all learn something and maybe, if we are lucky, find ways to better appreciate this wonderful sport.

Stick around! With that many finds under your belt, I'm sure you could teach us a thing or two.

Take care,

Brokenwing

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I am new here and new to the "sport" I was pointed to this forum and Geocaching from one of the hunting forums. I have asked several questions and have gotten some great responses. I have also learned a great deal from the other threads. As for the "HOT" topics, I find most of them amusing. I can just picture some old fart (no one in particular) with a rocker recliner in front of his keyboard blasting away with no intention of ever going out to seek a cache!

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest jaw2925

Yeah, the trash thread was my first dip into these(or any) forums. Thought I would test the waters and almost got my toe singed off. Found myself following the argument almost compulsively even as I was getting upset about the general tone of the debate. It seemed to me some posts were being written that wouldn't have been said to the recipients face had they been in the same room. I usually don't have a problem telling people what I think of their ideas, but a few things were posted I doubt I could have said to an individual face-to-face.

Even so, it was great for focusing my thoughts on what geocaching means to me. And I'm certainly thinking about the larger impact of geocaching more than ever and that's a very good thing. Joe

Guest HomeChicken

E=Mc2, how could you read all that boring thread?

I read a few days of it when it started then stoped reading when I knew were it was going...all forums have threads like those. and I do mean ALL. I get bored reading threads like those.

All just a bunch of unhappiness rolleyes.gif

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken

Guest tslack2000

E=MC2 - Just so you know, you weren't the only one who had those feelings when reading that thread. I thought to myself the same thing. I wanted to just dissapear from the forums and continue caching. But then I thought that isn't the answer. I just took a small break from the forums and let myself cool down as I can see you did as well. That's the answer for people like you and me who get sucked into nasty threads!