The First Geocachers....

I'm sure geocaching, in one form or the other, has been going on about as long as civilization.

The first I heard of it regarded ranchers in the west, (I am in the west but I'm sure the tales are every much a part of the East, not to mention the North and South).

How many of the stories I heard were urban legend and how many were ligit I cannot say...but I do know of two that are true because I found out by hands on experience.

Apparently it was not uncommon for ranchers to mark locations and document experiences. One friend of mine had a grandfather who owned a large ranch in New Mexico. One day while riding the range my friend came across a pile of rocks, obviously man-made. Under the rocks he found a Tobacco Tin and in the tin a note. The note was written by his grandfather...it noted the date, weather, and why he was at this location on this date.

In the years that followed my friend found a couple of others...there is no way to know how many his grandfather had cached.

Surely many of you have heard similar stories.

I found this most intriguing. As much as I enjoy geocaching I think the ultimate high for me would be to come across a find such as this. And no, I would NOT mark it. - JamesJM

What you're talking about is a register and you're right; it probably goes back to the Stone Age. There are thousands of registers in the Sierras and all over the world for that matter.

I read a story in Backpacker Magazine called 'The Sierra High Rout' (1988 or 89) and the guy that wrote that story told of finding a register left by a USGS map surveyor who left it there in the early 1900's.

Registers are not meant to be concealed. The pile of rocks was meant to call attention to it because it’s usually a small item. I think the register that I just mentioned was also in a tobacco tin.

Jean Auel is a historical fiction writer who really does her homework before writing about the Stone Age. Her 'Clan of the Cave Bear Series' mentions markers and caches left for travelers. First mention of them is in 'The Mammoth Hunters' and continues in the series from there. Oddly enough there is a take something/leave something rule. I don't doubt the historical correctness of it. Like I said, she really does her homework.

My brother in law is a class 3 & 4 climber. (Scrambler) Among peak baggers it is a badge of honor to be the first to place a register on an unclaimed peak.

I have left several private (hidden) registers along the Pacific Crest and John Muir trails; in the Recess Valley; near Devil's Postpile and vicinity; around the Mammoth Lakes area; and at Point Sal. So far, no one has found one that I know of. They are reminders for me of good fishing spots, encounters, directions to one of my many useful items caches, etc. I have been sharpening my camp knife on a whetstone that was hidden nearby a favorite camp site over 15 years ago.

It was my tendency to do things like that that made me go bonkers for Geocaching. I discovered Geocaching on the new Vermillion Valley Resort website and was out lookin for my first cache the next morning.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

you and me, Soogans. I too have left letters on the JMT and Pacific Crest. Little different...mine are for my kids should they ever venture into the wilderness. My son did, a few years ago, and found his. My daughters have yet to make the attempt.

This summer I'm stashing a couple for my grandkids. - JamesJM