Who ELSE has had a cache stolen?

Guest LarsThorwald

Guest LarsThorwald

We lost our first one sometime in the past few days - nothing left but s soggy logbook. Apparently - although I'm still not sure how this has been determined - others have been destroyed/vandalized in the nearby area as well. And when I say vandalized... imagine the worst. All I can think of doing is placing another nearby - maybe a little harder to get to, since no caches that involve any sort of actual physical exertion have been touched. Is this an isolated incident?

LarsThorwald (Charlie)

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I had one hidden in a city park and it vanished!

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

Guest Buck8Point

I had one stolen as well...

I replaced it though..

I'll be damned if I'm gonna let some lamer get the best of me, or destroy a cache I spent a lot of time conceiving, preparing, and laying out.

------------------

Buck8Point

"If I can't fix it, It's definately Broke."

Guest bigcall

I have just had one disappear recently also. Fortunately got a report right away which I confirmed. While the location was fairly near a playground I thought is was pretty well hidden - I guess I was wrong.

I asked the question in this forum on what to do next. The consensus was to start over. I placed a new cache in the same general area, but farther away from possible observation and turned it into a multi-cache to help make it a bit more difficult for cachers and non-cachers alike.

Hopefully this strategy will work.

Guest Choberiba

Losing a cache to a vandal can be highly frustrating.

I've lost two to plundering since the beginning of the year and in both cases I hid a new box in a new location and changed the coordinates to the old cache to the new cache. I changed the name and date as well and made it clear in the description that people who'd found the cache previously were welcome to try again.

It's bad enough that the thief stole the paper logbook, by archiving a cache you lose the dynamic aspect of the web log, which means that less people will be reading them.

I'm really looking forward to having the "pause" option. In the meantime I replace all the text with just the word "pause".

I have no caches with this status at the moment.

Guest Opus P

quote:
Originally posted by bigcall:

While the location was fairly near a playground I thought is was pretty well hidden - I guess I was wrong.

Nothing (repeat nothing) is well hidden from children. My guess is either you are not a parent, or your parental instincts slipped that day. icon_wink.gif

Guest Opus P

quote:
Originally posted by bigcall:

While the location was fairly near a playground I thought is was pretty well hidden - I guess I was wrong.

Nothing (repeat nothing) is well hidden from children. My guess is either you are not a parent, or your parental instincts slipped that day. icon_wink.gif

Guest bigcall

I guess my children aren't old enough yet. Our activities are confined to the near playground vicinity (i.e. the swings and slides etc.) While they may want to go wandering off into the woods, we certainly don't let them go unsupervised. It's the older group that I'm guessing does more of the adventuring and hence may have "discovered" the location.

Learned my lesson though, while it's possible the new spot may be accidentally found, the chances are now much lower.

Older and wiser.

Guest JamieZ

Lars,

At the time of that post, the "Pause" option was an imaginary feature to suspend your cache. In other words, rather than having to archive it for maintenence or other temporary reason, you could so-to-speak "pause" the cache, which would alert potential finders that the cache is temporarily unavailable. Since the time of that post, however, that option has become a reality.

See this thread for more info.

Jamie