What's the best way to transfer waypoints from easyGPS to Mapsource?

Guest mouseful

Guest mouseful

Hello,

After I download selected caches from Geocache.com into easyGPS, I then transfer those waypoints to my Garmin etrex Vista. Then I upload the waypoints from the Vista to Garmin Mapsource.

Is there an easier way to tranfer waypoints between easyGPS and Mapsource ?

Thank you,

mouseful

GeoBuddy does not have a complete import/export file format. There is so little documentation that I never could get the text DGS format to work. Its main virtue is as a way to convert a Grouldspeak XML LOC file directly to Garmin's Mapsource and maintain the data. Would very much like to see better inport/export support of CSV's with formatting and default values. Since GeoBuddy does not talk to the GPSR, or Import Mapsource data and Mapsource does not export waypoints, it is not the best way to manage waypoint sets.

EasyGPS only supports TopoGraphix format LOC files and reads the Groundspeak XML LOC files. Its main virtue is a way to transmit Groundspeak XML LOC files to the GPSR. It unfortunantly discards the description field when importing to my Vista.

Waypoint+ is another tool that reads the GPS and had some import/export functionality. It doesn't support Mapsource or LOC files and has poor text format support.

G7TO WIN is the best that I've found so far.

http://home.attbi.com/~g7towin/

It has the best CSV support that I can use to make global changes to icons or other data. It also has the most complete import/export file type library with the major exceptions of PCX5 importing and LOC import/export. Waypoints can be exported as PCX5 WAYPOINTS and then imported into Mapsource without having to go through the GPSR. This is an interesting waypoint manager although it needs the ability to deal with simultanous waypoint lists and to delete selections of waypoints. I've sucessfully used this software to create a waypoint list of local NGS Survey markers.

GPS Tracker is an intereting program that exports and imports in PCS5 format. It supports merging and selecting waypoints better then any of the above programs. Global replacements of text within descriptions are possible. It doesn't list but plots waypoints, tracks, and routes over a bitmap image of a map to get some sence of where you are. I favor this program for waypoint batch selection to create smaller waypoint files that I can import into my GPSR as needed.

There is a real "Black Hole Effect" of data in all of these programs where they import one format but don't export it back the same way. I've been keeping my waypoint files in CSV format so that I can edit and import them wherever and however needed. Mapsource only exports in TAB DELIMITED which it doesn't even read back !

For now, I keep my waypoint library in CSV format and convert them to PCX5 format for importing into Mapsource.

Guest TresOkies

le who actually bother to figure out how it works.

The great thing about GeoBuddy is that I am an individual and I am not making any money off it. As such, I'm able to add anybody's pet format into it simply by asking nicely. I can add the formats that Garmin, Magellan, or anyone else publishes if it will be used and enjoyed. Cases in point--MacGPS, OziExplorer, and CSV. On the other hand, I have a full time job and a family and I can't spend a lot of time making a polished manual.

Wait a minute. Why am I wasting time defending myself when I could be playing MouseTrap with my son? If you don't like it, don't use it.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631