Cool item for your backpack!

Guest LoCache

Guest jdbyrnes

Wow, that is cool.. A tad pricy for me, but wow.. That is going on my christmas list.. and I second How Stuff Works as being a top notch page, LOTS of great info, an engineer's dream, and an engineer's wife's nightmare..

Guest bunkerdave

I really would like this as a gift, but it is a little bit to spend for a flashlight. As was mentioned, I ALWAYS have batteries, since after my digicam gets done with them, I put them in the GPS to milk a little more out of them, and when the GPS gets done with them, they are handed down to the mini-mag. Once the mag gets done with them, they are ready for the trash can, since I don't have anything that needs less juice than the mini-mag.

Anybody else do this?

Guest LoCache

Yeah, it is a little pricey, but I have pulled out a flash light when I needed one many times only to find it dead. These days, since I started Geocaching, I usually have batteries, but WHAT IF? If you ask me, it is a cool item to have...I would love to KNOW I would have light, rather than assume I would have it IF my batteries are working....plus it's not extra parts...just a stick that gives light! ;-)

As expensive as it is, if it were to save your life while lost in the woods at night, it might be worth every penny. Hopefully, none of us would ever need it.

Now if it just would create water and fire we would be set.

Geo

Guest Ron Streeter

I don't have a link to it, but I have seen a little flashlight that generates light when you squeeze the handle like a hand exerciser.

I think it may store that energy in an included battery as well.

I would guess it's on the order of $15 to $20 and is probably available at "survival" type places. I have seen the "crank" radio version of this in places like Macy's even.

I'm still carrying a 50 year old waterproof match case with a compass on top, but will probably supplement that with a little butane lighter as well. Having fire on a cold night would be a lifesaver if you wanted to wait until light to walk out.

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

I put them in the GPS to milk a little more out of them, and when the GPS gets done with them, they are handed down to the mini-mag. Once the mag gets done with them, they are ready for the trash can, since I don't have anything that needs less juice than the mini-mag.

Anybody else do this?

HA! I thought *I* was the only cheapskate here! icon_smile.gif Since The GPS goes thru more batteries then the mini-mag does, I've taken to putting dollar store mini-mag style flashlights in caches, and using the old GPS AA's for them too.

Also, I tend to leave the GPS on for the entire cache hunt, to get a good track log. While the batteries may show down to nothing after the GPS has been on a few hrs, after sitting a day they read 1/2 charge again. I'll pop those back in then for transfering waypoints, tracks, etc (NOT for firmware updates, always fresh cells for that) and general playing around in the house.

I guess I really should go with rechargeables. Only thing is, for the price of the charger I want, and a few sets of batteries, I can buy like a few hundred alkalines in bulk.

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

I put them in the GPS to milk a little more out of them, and when the GPS gets done with them, they are handed down to the mini-mag. Once the mag gets done with them, they are ready for the trash can, since I don't have anything that needs less juice than the mini-mag.

Anybody else do this?

HA! I thought *I* was the only cheapskate here! icon_smile.gif Since The GPS goes thru more batteries then the mini-mag does, I've taken to putting dollar store mini-mag style flashlights in caches, and using the old GPS AA's for them too.

Also, I tend to leave the GPS on for the entire cache hunt, to get a good track log. While the batteries may show down to nothing after the GPS has been on a few hrs, after sitting a day they read 1/2 charge again. I'll pop those back in then for transfering waypoints, tracks, etc (NOT for firmware updates, always fresh cells for that) and general playing around in the house.

I guess I really should go with rechargeables. Only thing is, for the price of the charger I want, and a few sets of batteries, I can buy like a few hundred alkalines in bulk.

Guest mrgigabyte

here near you!

... perhaps if someone would post the EXACT and complete url to whatever the gizmo is, it may make more sense to us who view this thread after Jan 3. I assume tomorrow, Jan 5, our posts about snowblowers we be equally puzzling.

Guest jfitzpat

Instead of spending $70 bucks on this light, I'd buy two Petzl Tikka headlamps (light and tiny, runs about 100 hours on AAA batteries, and has save my backside many, many times), and a 'Venti Cap' from Starbucks...

-jjf

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by mrgigabyte:

With a 7-horsepower engine that lets you move 2,000 pounds of snow per minute, the Snow Commander will have your yard clear before you can say "Let's move to Miami." Its "Power Propel" system clinches the machine to the ground so you don't have to constantly get your grip, and specs include a 24-inch clearing width and up to a 40-inch throw -- that snow's landing nowhere near you!

Sounds like a great idea! You people up north are always complaining about the snow covering up your caches...

Guest madphatboy2

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Sounds like a great idea! You people up north are always complaining about the snow covering up your caches...

So what you are saying then is to plow a path to the cache so it is an easy find? Or maybe plow a path to the cache and make it REAL hard to find. Or better yet, plow many paths to here and there.

Guest mrgigabyte

quote:

I solved this one too. I just install a block heater in all my caches. Althouth the extension cord and 15 ft hole of melted snow tends to give away the cache location.

Guest Ramness570

hehe im seeing a fake security camera...

gadget373.jpg

------------------

Brian & TabascoX

Senior Member Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

[This message has been edited by Ramness570 (edited 07 January 2002).]

Guest Snowtrail

Yeah, I was wondering how the

"Advanced Digital Audio Center with a 40-gigabyte hard drive to store 650 CDs or 6,500 songs, a built-in CD-burner, multiple USB ports for getting music off your PC, and a 10-Mbps HomePNA connection"

was going to work in my backpack.

The flashlight is kool, but I wonder about the intensity of the light. And as for the batteries, I have now switched to rechargable. My mini-mag at $10 seems like much more of a deal.

Guest LoCache

When I originally posted this topic, it was a flashlight with no batteries....obviosuly it changes daily. Someone posted a direct link above if you need it. Or you can just continue with this funny thread....it changes every day, so the fun will never die. ;-)

Geo

Guest bunkerdave

Anybody else do this?[/b]

I guess I really should go with rechargeables. Only thing is, for the price of the charger I want, and a few sets of batteries, I can buy like a few hundred alkalines in bulk.[/b]

Sorry 'bout the long quote:

You know, if you have a car adapter for your GPS (I wouldn't buy any GPS that didn't) yu can buy a little adapter/converter that you plug into the wall in you house, then plug your car adaptor into that, and your GPS can run indefinitely in the house. I have left mine on overnight with no ill effects. The convertor costs about 10 dollars.

'course, THEN what would you do with all those "dead" batteries? icon_biggrin.gif

Guest bunkerdave

Anybody else do this?[/b]

I guess I really should go with rechargeables. Only thing is, for the price of the charger I want, and a few sets of batteries, I can buy like a few hundred alkalines in bulk.[/b]

Sorry 'bout the long quote:

You know, if you have a car adapter for your GPS (I wouldn't buy any GPS that didn't) yu can buy a little adapter/converter that you plug into the wall in you house, then plug your car adaptor into that, and your GPS can run indefinitely in the house. I have left mine on overnight with no ill effects. The convertor costs about 10 dollars.

'course, THEN what would you do with all those "dead" batteries? icon_biggrin.gif