Who Determines a Cache has been stolen?

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

I placed a cache earlier this week, got an email from a searcher who attempted to locate it, but couldn't. And before I had a chance to announce and confirm this fact, there was already a red banner notice saying that the cache no longer existed.

How did this happen? Who made the determination? Shouldn't that be the perview of the original cacher, in most cases? Curious about the protocol around this...

I strongly believe that it should be the cache owner that determines if the cache is MIA. It surprises me that anyone else can even flag it as gone. Shouldn't that be an option that only the owner has when they're logged in?

I would be interested to see if you end up finding it...could be they were just off on their coordinates in their search. It's not the first time that's happened.

Interesting...keep us posted and good luck!

Guest Chris Juricich

While the guy who believed (correctly) that it was gone stated that he didn't 'do' anything to the webpage for the cache, these are the URLs for the cache that have appeared for me--

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8537

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8537&Nocache=0.7055475

Both show the red 'lost' text.

How this came to be I don't understand. A similar thing happened with another of my cache placements-- though it self-corrected over a period of time. Jeremy has been too busy, I guess, to address my query in this regard.

[This message has been edited by Chris Juricich (edited 14 October 2001).]

Guest Moun10Bike

When you posted that cache, you double posted it. The first of these was archived, as it was a duplicate and we generally "take" the second one because often the owner has updated the data before posting again. It is the second one that is the "active" cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8538

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/111F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Chris Juricich

I see, but why do both have the same 'no longer exists' notation?

I've followed the URL to the one you listed and I see it still as virginal as ever--

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

I see, but why do both have the same 'no longer exists' notation?

It looks like the second listing has been archived since I made my last post at 5:36 PM. Since your post is now on the page, I assume that you archived it?

quote:
I've followed the URL to the one you listed and I see it still as virginal as ever--

I'm not sure what you mean here, as my interpretation of "virginal" would mean "untouched." Instead, I see that an "other" log was made by mark71mark on Oct. 8 and another made by you today.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/111F

to see who actually archived the cache.

It was you, Chris. Did you forget that you archived it? Maybe you clicked the archive button and thought you clicked "log"

Jeremy

Guest Iron Chef

Also, maybe it's time to begin rotating your password as some undesireable individual may have either guessed it or stolen it somehow. I know it stinks to think about stuff like this, but it happens. It may not have been you who archived the cache, but it may very well be your login that did it.

Again, this is just another idea to toss out there.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest Chris Juricich

No-- no-- I admit that I archived it-- at the last, simply because it had been compromised.

So if I double-posted the cache, and the first is archived automatically, then why did the second continue to have the odd 'no longer exists' notice? And then, there was another which DIDN'T have the notice.

It's all moot now as I've archived the cache till I can relaunch it, but still-- very confusing!

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

So if I double-posted the cache, and the first is archived automatically, then why did the second continue to have the odd 'no longer exists' notice? And then, there was another which DIDN'T have the notice.

It didn't. I think that you might have confused the two cache pages at some point. I notice above that you wrote:

quote:

these are the URLs for the cache that have appeared for me--

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8537

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8537&Nocache=0.7055475

These are actually pointing to the same page (note that the cache ID number is the same in both). I'm not sure, but this might be what is confusing you as to the two separate cache postings. To clarify, cache page ID=8537 is the first posting, and ID=8538 is the second posting.

When I posted my message here at 5:36 PM yesterday, the second did not have the "no longer exists" message at the top. This occurred after I made my post. It is an effect of archiving a cache, which we have determined that you did.

Also, to clarify, the first cache of a double post is not automatically archived. The archiving is done manually by the person accepting caches when he discovers a double post.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/111F