Last night's upgrade ... problem encountered

Guest Hawk-eye

Guest Hawk-eye

Jeremy ... Noticed that after the upgrade ... links to photos on cache pages ... either to this forum or to a cache page ... no longer show the photos. Any suggestions or assistance?

Example

348_1002.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

OK ... that's weird ... now it works ????? But I swear it wasn't working earlier??? Maybe I need to take a nap ....

Update: ... while it appears to be working now ... old existing links still don't work. Whew ... thought I was going crazy! I did an experiment ... if you edit and repaste the link it starts working ... on Groundspeak, but not on cache pages ... actually it appears you can't successfully link to a photo on www.geocaching.com now (just tried it to another page) ... anyway to fix that without editing everything?

348_1002.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest TresOkies

I'm not sure what you mean. As of 2/21/02 at 6:20 a.m. CST, the dozen or so pages I visited all seem to be working fine and so do pictures and links.

I notice that photos posted to my cache sites have a new format, though. I don't know if that was the most recent upgrades or done in the past, but I like it.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest Markwell

It's not you Hawkeye. He's changed the URL to all of the photos.

Example:

I just had a photo that I posted from Monday that I linked from the Geocaching site. Top URL is old, bottom is new...

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/log/images/204789_300.jpg

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/204789_300.jpg

Time to update all your links - as long as we're sure that Jeremy won't go changing it again.

Here's some of the examples of the problems:

Photographer's Cache IX (the historical log)

Peek-a-Boo!

Scooby Doo

I am mystified by the necessity of this change (and the one about javascript as well).

I have an e-mail in to Jeremy, and I'm hoping for a response here and/or via e-mail.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

I'm not sure what you mean. As of 2/21/02 at 6:20 a.m. CST, the dozen or so pages I visited all seem to be working fine and so do pictures and links.

I notice that photos posted to my cache sites have a new format, though. I don't know if that was the most recent upgrades or done in the past, but I like it.

-E

Not the photos posted to the page ... linked photos embedded in the text .... for example ... my Hawk 13 cache ... has the Hawk-eye logo embedded in the text ... use to show up on the page ... the blinking red hawk eye in a sunburst ... this photo resided on an archived cache page ... it's still there but the link no longer shows up on the page ... I tested it by linking to my web page and it won't show up there either. That's what I was referring to.

348_1002.gif

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Not the photos posted to the page ... linked photos embedded in the text[/b]

It's not that the photos won't link in the text. Take a look at my Scooby linked above. Right below "Click Here to Hear Scooby's Theme Song in Midi Format" I inserted a link to the Groundspeak forum "profile" image. It worked and is still there. I think the problem is that all of the URLs are now different.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

... I think the problem is that all of the URLs are now different

As always ... Markwell ... you nailed it ... again ... thanks! I thought I was having mental issues ...

348_1002.gif

Markwell,

could this have anything to do with the Java problems talked about yesterday?

Ooops... just noticed you talked about that above already.

[This message has been edited by Ttepee (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest Markwell

Doncha just love upgrades?

My best guess (and only a guess)is that all of the URLs for the images were getting a little confusing, and Jeremy wanted something a little cleaner.

He may or may not have taken into consideration all of the updating that we'll have to do on the cache description pages to properly link all of the images.

As I said above, I e-mailed him this morning, hoping to get a response as to whether this is permanent (again, my guess is yes), but I'll probably hold off on updating my pages until I get a response.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest martinp13

Jeremy said the update was due to lotsa traffic. The new image URL suggests that the images are physically now on another computer.

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest Markwell

I also noticed that the cache description pages are updating themselves. Not necessarily in real time - it seems to be ferreting out code and replacing it.

Hasn't happened on the Travel Bugs yet, but all of my cache description pages are just fine (with updated links - he didn't change it back).

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

There are actually two issues listed in this topic. The maps were originally updated 10,000 at once, so the smaller maps in some cases show the previous cache. I'm trying to figure out the best way to track them down. Best thing to do now is let me know when you see one that is wrong.

The second issue is changing all the images to img.Groundspeak.com - The images are actually being hosted on the same physical machine but plans are to separate them out. Better to do it now than later. If you point to an image in a travel bug page or cache page, I replace the link with one to the correct location. In theory, anyway.

Let me know if you see anything else weird. As upgrades go, this was actually pretty smooth.

Jeremy