Is this kosher?

Guest Moun10Bike

Guest Moun10Bike

Just wondering what people thought about this.

Here is a puzzle cache posted in Oregon on 01/16/2002:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13053

Here is another that was posted in Utah at an earlier date, but changed on 01/28/2002 to incorporate the same puzzle:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10374

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 30 January 2002).]

Guest LindaLu

In my opinion (humble or otherwise!) the second one should be archived and the cache owner reprimanded for stealing--maybe 50 lashes with a wet noodle!!!! Or bombed with emails, or find some way to let them know that this is NOT OK.

BTW, The second cache owner is the subject of numerous complaints on other forum topics.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

I would assume that TheHamRadioGeocacher has asked fractal if he could borrow the idea.

That's what I initially assumed, although like you I noticed that no credit was given. So, I emailed fractal and found out that, while he had given permission to another cacher to use the idea, this was not that person.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I now note that the second cache is archived.

Wow, that was fast. I wonder if it was the owner or someone else who did that.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest fractal

As far as my brain tells me, I am the creator of the puzzle. I created it earlier this month, and created the graphic as well.

I am flattered that people like my puzzles, and I don't mind if you use them, but please give credit where credit is due, and be kind enough to ask first.

I have tried to contact the owner of the cache in question, but have not heard anything back from him as of yet.

-fractal

Discovered new word today: Copy-Cache icon_frown.gif

Guest fractal

As far as my brain tells me, I am the creator of the puzzle. I created it earlier this month, and created the graphic as well.

I am flattered that people like my puzzles, and I don't mind if you use them, but please give credit where credit is due, and be kind enough to ask first.

I have tried to contact the owner of the cache in question, but have not heard anything back from him as of yet.

-fractal

Guest SwampBuggy

The striking difference to me wasn't only the obvious theft.

It really underlined what a nice job Fractal did with his presentation.

How in the name of all that's frozen did THRG think this would not be noticed?

I'm glad it was archived but I'm concerned about whether or not this individual is to be trusted. Was this the infamous Sneaker-cache guy?

If his account is deleted, he can always start a new one under a different name so it's not as if this would be an easy thing to address if a clue is not found soon.

I vote we retract the foreskin of misconception and apply the wire brush of enlightenment.

Guest fractal

quote:

I vote we retract the foreskin of misconception and apply the wire brush of enlightenment.

icon_smile.gif ...

-fractal

[This message has been edited by fractal (edited 30 January 2002).]

Guest fractal

quote:

icon_smile.gif ...

-fractal

[This message has been edited by fractal (edited 30 January 2002).]

Guest mrgigabyte

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then I have been flattered... twice!

I think there are a lot a great ideas for caches being used and the geoid is big enough to recycle some of these ides for other cachers to enjoy. I say ask first, and make sure you credit the originator.

Vancouver Transit

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6614

Both of the following were nice enough to include a credit to me (and the above cache) in their cache descriptions.

Crusin' Calgary: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11567

London Transit : http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12743

Guest madphatboy2

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

-fractal

Getting in touch with this person if very difficult. I had to do some things to get them to talk to me. Check out my thread would it be tacky if....? to see what happened in the saga of the lame and corrupt cache.

MPB2

[This message has been edited by madphatboy2 (edited 30 January 2002).]

Guest madphatboy2

quote:

-fractal

Getting in touch with this person if very difficult. I had to do some things to get them to talk to me. Check out my thread would it be tacky if....? to see what happened in the saga of the lame and corrupt cache.

MPB2

[This message has been edited by madphatboy2 (edited 30 January 2002).]

Guest fractal

MPB2:

Thanks to the link to that thread.. It's a good read!

And, I remember you emailing me not too long ago asking if you could use this puzzle. You stated that you would give credit to me and everything. So.. When I was first made aware of the cache in question, I first thought "Oh.. that's just MPB2. He asked if he could use it. That's cool..." But after looking into it, I was like "Whoa!"

So thank you, MPB2, for taking the gentlemanly-route and asking permission first icon_smile.gif

-fractal

Guest fractal

MPB2:

Thanks to the link to that thread.. It's a good read!

And, I remember you emailing me not too long ago asking if you could use this puzzle. You stated that you would give credit to me and everything. So.. When I was first made aware of the cache in question, I first thought "Oh.. that's just MPB2. He asked if he could use it. That's cool..." But after looking into it, I was like "Whoa!"

So thank you, MPB2, for taking the gentlemanly-route and asking permission first icon_smile.gif

-fractal

Guest glenn95630

Take a look at these caches:

Mission Impossible (near Sacramento California) (8/6/2001)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5402

Mission Impossible ? Minnesota (8/27/2001)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6514

Mission Impossible (New Zealand) (11/3/2001)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9733

I didn?t see any credit given (maybe I overlooked something).

Question for LindaLu: Do you think that the second and third one should be archived and the cache owners reprimanded for stealing? Or was your previous post affected because the cache copier was the ?Sneaker King??

My opinion: If the person asks (and receives permission) then it is okay for identical puzzle caches to placed in other locations. In fact, I think it should be encouraged. (sidenote: people in other regions should ask Kimbo for permission to ?copy? his Survivor cache ? it is very impressive.) Excellent caches should be leveraged so that more people can enjoy them. I wish some of Iraseek's caches were closer.

If a person does not ask permission before copying a puzzle cache that is rude. On the ?Food Chain of Life? I would say it is a little better than littering.

(It may be possible that the Mission Impossible ?look-a-likes? did get permission but didn?t want to post credit because it would be a hint to potential hunters.)

Just thought you'd like to know. I emailed Jeremy because this guy along with another unschooled geocacher (badgerpunk) have flooded Utah with some garbage caches. This Badger even had the nerve to post in some forums telling other people how to correct their actions. This coming from the kid who posted smelly shoes as a cache. It's pathetic to steal other's works... That's what it is when you don't get permission and give credit, at least that's how it works in the media where I make part of my living.

RogerB

quote:

-fractal

Actually, it's likely you won't hear from this guy. He's a bad rash on geocachers here in Utah, along with another guy flooding the Utah GeoCaching scene with garbage caches.

RogerB

quote:

-fractal

Actually, it's likely you won't hear from this guy. He's a bad rash on geocachers here in Utah, along with another guy flooding the Utah GeoCaching scene with garbage caches.

RogerB

Guest Choberiba

What do you all think of this idea?

Maybe a flag could be setup.

With the push of a button (By Jeremy?) any caches hidden by a flagged user would be flagged for removal by those who would no longer fall into the catagory of newbie.

These would not found in standard searches unless logged in, they would be clearly marked with a garbage can where the cache icon is or something.

This could require a random xx caches have been found/placed so as not to subject the newbies to the dark side.

The point being that archiving caches in the database doesn't remove them from the actual location. If the person who placed the cache is uncooperative, they won't take this initiative on their own.

I think our number one criteria is to not be seen as people who abandon stuff in woods.

Guest madphatboy2

HEY NOW!! rogerb, i know your feelings on these 2 kids placing caches. I've delt with them personally, and all they are are headstrong young men out for a good time. I've had several email conversationw with them and I have offered to go caching with them as well as "teach" them how place a respectable cache. When your young sometimes you just need someone to teach you what's appropriate. I was like that a few years ago myself, I know how they are. Be a little forgiving and understand that they now have a new meaning of geocaching. They do read these forums now, and have a better understanding of what types of caches people will seek after. Roger, you didn't get good at being on the radio until someone taught a little of how it is done, i'm sure. I think i've made my poing.

fractal- I think that this is a hilarious coincedence for this kid to "steal" your idea. I would never take someone idea without proper credit unless I thought it was my original idea. You da man for handling this situation like a gentleman yourself.

MPB2

Guest LindaLu

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

Question for LindaLu: Do you think that the second and third one should be archived and the cache owners reprimanded for stealing? Or was your previous post affected because the cache copier was the ?Sneaker King??

Well, I had hoped people would catch the sarcasm in my comments..."50 lashes with a wet noodle"....

People thus far have echoed my thoughts. Copying someone else's work without asking permission and giving credit is considered stealing, in a way. Whether it's the Sneaker Cacher or Big-Name-Software-Company (oops, did I say that?) or anyone else for that matter.

I apologize for not being sufficiently clear in my sarcasm. Happy Hunting!

Guest fractal

Ok... This thread has gone on long enough. I enjoy attention being brought to my caches, but not in this way, and not by the FAA(see the logs for today).

Let's hope that all those involved have started to see the light. This is my first experience with this sort of thing here at Geocaching.com (my online home). The only action I took was to email the cacher. I'm not going to take any more action unless it happens to me again.

I do think that Choberiba may have a good idea. That may be something to look into and discussed on another thread.

Now.. Like I stated before, I enjoy attention to my caches, but not in this way. So if we could all quietly let this thread drop down in the list of topics on this forum (like we did when I posted the 'interesting' image on the Nickname Logos thread), then I will feel much better about this whole thing icon_smile.gif

Thank you again to those who enjoy my puzzles and their presentation!

-fractal

Guest fractal

Ok... This thread has gone on long enough. I enjoy attention being brought to my caches, but not in this way, and not by the FAA(see the logs for today).

Let's hope that all those involved have started to see the light. This is my first experience with this sort of thing here at Geocaching.com (my online home). The only action I took was to email the cacher. I'm not going to take any more action unless it happens to me again.

I do think that Choberiba may have a good idea. That may be something to look into and discussed on another thread.

Now.. Like I stated before, I enjoy attention to my caches, but not in this way. So if we could all quietly let this thread drop down in the list of topics on this forum (like we did when I posted the 'interesting' image on the Nickname Logos thread), then I will feel much better about this whole thing icon_smile.gif

Thank you again to those who enjoy my puzzles and their presentation!

-fractal