Geocaching Convention or Conference?

Guest wanderlust

Guest wanderlust

I thought I read a post the other day where someone mentioned the next National Geocaching Convention or conference. Does such an event exist? If so, where, when, and what happens there? If there is no such thing, why not..???

Guest bunkerdave

I have never heard of anything like that, although almost every weekend there is something going on somewhere in the USA like this.

I think if a World Conference were held, you would get a lot of people from the area near the gathering location, but I doubt many others would make the trip. I might go as far as So. Cal, but even that is unlikely. Although the sport is global, it is also highly regionalized, since we tend to play the game a little bit differently, depending on where we live.

Just my 2 cents.

On a similar note, I've seen references to regional annual gatherings of geocachers? How exactly do those things get started? Is that what's called an event cache? (yeah, I'm pretty new ... : )

We have a few cachers around here -- about 25 caches are hidden in our 100-mile radius at this point, and I've been part of five of them, so I don't know how big a gathering it would be. But judging by the hits on my caches, the ranks of new cachers are steadily growing. Are there any threads kicking about that explain how to plan one of these gathering successfully?

'k, nuf questions for one post -- thanks in advance for any help you can pass on icon_smile.gif

Shel

On a similar note, I've seen references to regional annual gatherings of geocachers? How exactly do those things get started? Is that what's called an event cache? (yeah, I'm pretty new ... : )

We have a few cachers around here -- about 25 caches are hidden in our 100-mile radius at this point, and I've been part of five of them, so I don't know how big a gathering it would be. But judging by the hits on my caches, the ranks of new cachers are steadily growing. Are there any threads kicking about that explain how to plan one of these gathering successfully?

'k, nuf questions for one post -- thanks in advance for any help you can pass on icon_smile.gif

Shel

Guest makaio

A basic region gathering can be done by simply posting the gathering *as* a geocache. The only info you provide as to the location of the gathering is it's coordinates. Attendees must locate it just as they would any other geocache.

Many have since expanded on this by creating pre-meeting cache hunts (in my case, I hid an ammo can full of 'golden' railroad spikes, redeemable for a free drink on me). Others have done pre-meeting hunts which involve multi-stage caches which ultimately lead to the meeting coords. Still others have had hunts during or oafter the meetings complete with awards and prizes.

Use your imagination and try to make it fun and exciting for those who will attend.

Thanks for the help! Now for my next round of questions : )

Is there any information on what people have enjoyed? My imagination needs fodder. Do people do potlucks picnics? The only thing I can think of that would be fun for cachers, aside from getting together and putting faces with the names, is doing a memento -- something with the geocaching logo on it, one per family. Which means I need to get started making stuff now ...

Guest JAMCC47

We've had several gatherings in CO, just get together and meet and swap stories. This summer we're going to try and do a GEOTEERIING campout where we can meet have fun and do an orienteering meet using GPS

------------------

JoseCanUSea

Guest bunkerdave

To my knowledge, there have been three of these gatherings in Utah. I organized two of them, and the other was organized by Elwood. The first was a overnight campout. I posted it as an event cache, and everyone just showed up, with their own food, etc. We had some cache games, and prizes. As this was the first one, I didn't get too fancy, since I had little idea who or how many would attend.

The second was a potluck in a city park where a geocache had been hidden. (Incidentally, that is how I found the park) I posted the coords of a pavilion in the park, and asked everyone to bring a dish. We had lots of people show up, and Cach-u-nuts did another of their great caching games.

The third was similar to the first, except Elwood went to the trouble to line up prizes, which were provided, I believe, by a radio station where one of our BIG cachers is an on-air talent. We had a drawing for the prizes, and I think everyone got something. Another cacher did dutch oven for everyone (big job, as there were probably 60+ attending). This was a very good outing, although they have all be a blast.

I am not sure, but if you were to hold a gathering in the I.F. area on a Saturday, there might be some from Utah who would want to crash. I don't get up there much, as my family lives in Boise, and I don't even get up THERE much, but I welcome any excuse to visit spudville. I have only been to Idaho twice since I started caching, and did not get the chance to hunt any caches while there. This year I hope to get up there and bag my first non-Utah cache.

Feel free to contact me if you want any ideas. Another person who you might want to contact is Cach-u-nuts. His e-mail is at www.cachunuts.com

Cheers,

bd

6327_1600.gif

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 08 January 2002).]

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by Doug & Linda:

Wanderlust may be referring to the "State of Geocaching" address that Jeremy mentioned in last week's cache notification email?

I haven't been getting those lately. Is it just me?

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

Maybe it was me. One of the boxes in my profile settings wasn't checked. I had been getting the weekly emails until early December and then they stopped. Perhaps Jeremy changed the criteria by which he sent the emails.

So, what _is_ the state of geocaching?

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest rdwatson78

I initially was getting the new cache notifications, but turned them off after a while since I was checking the site several times a day. Is there extra information in those emails that I just didn't notice before? I hate to think I am missing any proclamations from on high. I might just have to turn them back on.

rdw