Hydrocaching's prevalence...

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

Okay, in Louisiana, we have four hydrocaches (caches rated terrain-5 due to the boat requirement, or less than terrain-5 for the one that you can actually rent a canoe during summer). We have roughly 60 caches total. So, about 1 in 15 caches requires a boat (and 3/4 of those require you to provide your own).

Anyway, the hydrocaches in Louisiana are:

Anyway, I was just wondering how prevalent hydrocaches were in other parts. Considering that Wormhole and NOMAN are both mine, and I've been to Seal Team, and that I have another in the works, you can see that hydrocaching is on my fun list, but is that just because we have no real terrain down here?

Well, just thought I'd ask. (Also, I'm not sure if hydrocaching had entered our standard jargon set yet, so I figured I'd use it prominently to help it along, as it's such a term, don't you think? icon_smile.gif)

Guest regoarrarr

Here in Cincinnati, we have one, #8373. It's on an island on a man-made lake (you take what you can get here) - but boat rental is closed from Oct.-Apr., so I haven't been able to get it yet. And it's cluttering up my first page of search results which I worked so hard to clean up :-). But come April it's mine!

Guest DisQuoi

I prefer the term "AquaCache" as it connotates a less scientifically based activity. The prefix "Hydro-" is more commonly used things-engineering or things-biological.

From OED:

aqua- L. aqua 'water' used as a combining form or quasi-adj., esp. in expressions referring to aquatic entertainment;

I state all of this light-heartedly ... hydrocache is fine ... but it doesn't make me think of such grand memories as Marine-Boy or Aqua-Gum.

Guest Hamster

When it gets warmer, I will be planting a cache at one of the lakes in the area on an island.

Also later this week, I will take advantage of "winter only" conditions and walk to a part of a swamp over the ice that is only easy go get in the winter. icon_smile.gif Hence the perfect wintercache. When the ice thaws, cachers would be waist high in muck. icon_smile.gif

We do have a bit of water here in Mich. I have on hid on an island in the Saginaw bay that is 3 miles from shore, and have found one in Lake Erie that is 2 miles from the nearest shore. Still the only one to have found it! Camped out on the island, would have stayed longer, but the forcast was for the 3' waves to increase to 4-6' and then to 8'. Decided I didn't want to get stuck until the weather changed. I know there are more caches on islands in Lake Erie and northern Lks Michigan and Huron, haven't had a chance to get up there yet.