EEEK! Mapblast!

Guest Markwell

Guest Markwell

Man, oh man, oh man! I knew there was a reason for moving away from Mapblast.com - but they've forced my hand at complaining!

It used to be that the latitude and longitude would appear in the upper right hand corner of the map...

mapblastcoords.jpg

This morning...

2485_3800.jpg

Anyone either got a suggestion as to how we fix this at Mapblast or come up with another online solution for converting addresses into lat/lon (with the functionality of clicking on the map in a new location to get the new spot's lat/lon - which you could do).

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Markwell

BTW - I did find a feedback form on the bottom of the site - and sent my message imploring them to return this feature. I might suggest others to do the same, unless someone has a better suggestion as to the online equivalent.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Anyone either got a suggestion as to how we fix this at Mapblast or come up with another online solution for converting addresses into lat/lon (with the functionality of clicking on the map in a new location to get the new spot's lat/lon - which you could do).

maps.yahoo.com can do this, sort of. It's not the most intuitive interface in the world, but...

Use the search tool to find the address you're interested in. Then click anywhere on the resulting map. The lat/long of the star (the address you searched for) will appear in the URL of the new page, as slt= and sln=. Click on the map again. The lat/long of the first place you clicked will appear in the URL of the new page as mlt= and mln=. Each time you click, the mlt and mln will be updated to point to the previous center of the map. I don't know why this is, but it seems to work.

I notice that parts of the web site are not available. The My MapBlast! part says that it is currently experiencing technical difficulties. MapBlast! used to be one of my favorites, but it is slowly losing ground, IMHO.

Guest sbukosky

This is definitely terrible. I use that lat and lon feature frequently while traveling around the states. Left feedback there too.

------------------

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Guest Groves_Trekkers

switched from Mapquest to Mapblast a year or so ago finding that Mapblast was superior at the time.

Now that I've started using Mapquest again, I've found that Mapquest is now the better of the two.

Additionally, Mapblast's requirement that you register for an account makes it unattractive to people whom I send links to Mapblast via email.

Sniff. icon_frown.gif

Guest Groves_Trekkers

Agreed. I switched from Mapquest to Mapblast a year or so ago finding that Mapblast was superior at the time.

Now that I've started using Mapquest again, I've found that Mapquest is now the better of the two.

Additionally, Mapblast's requirement that you register for an account makes it unattractive to people whom I send links to Mapblast via email.

Sniff. icon_frown.gif

Guest Groves_Trekkers

switched from Mapquest to Mapblast a year or so ago finding that Mapblast was superior at the time.

Sniff. icon_frown.gif

Guest Groves_Trekkers

Agreed. I switched from Mapquest to Mapblast a year or so ago finding that Mapblast was superior at the time.

Sniff. icon_frown.gif

Guest Markwell

I'm not as concerned with that as I am with the absolute lack of any easy way to enter the address and have the coordinates come up.

BTW - you can do the same thing with mapblast as you did with yahoo maps. If you indicate that you want to move both the icon and the map and click on the icon's current location, the lat and lon will appear in the refreshed page's URL. How cumbersome is that?!?

I haven't experimented enough to see if that works without moving the icon, but it is still a major inconvenience. Time to log another feedback.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest rdwatson78

I had to address this problem this morning getting the new coordinates for the Photographer's Cache VIII. Mapquest says it can't show them due to contractual obligations. Mapblast just doesn't show them. So I tried the Tiger Census site. It worked well. Gave me the coordinates with no unnecessary trouble. I suggest you try. rdw

Guest Markwell

I must be missing something on Tiger (or at least the site I'm going to).

I don't see where you can enter in a precise address and get the results. I can see where you can enter the town and click, but you're not getting corresponding addresses or searching by addresses.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

quote:

I'm not as concerned with that as I am with the absolute lack of any easy way to enter the address and have the coordinates come up.

I have an easy way that uses the Yahoo! maps database, but unfortunately it lives on a web server that doesn't have a lot of bandwidth, so I won't give the address here. If you have a website you can run a Perl-based CGI script on, drop me a line and I'll be happy to share my source. If you don't, but you just want to use my code to look up a few addresses, again drop me a line and we'll see if we can figure something out.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

...drop me a line...

Which would work a lot better if the profile option to display my email address actually did something.

ron.parker@povray.org

Guest Markwell

As always, arffer - you da man. That's just what I needed.

Mapblast still works if you're willing to look in the URL. I found out that finding the address and then just clicking on any of the other zoom levels will put the coords in the URL. Still not happy as it's not as intuitive as it used to be. Geocode will work until Mapblast comes to its senses.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest ClayJar

quote:

Geocode will work until Mapblast comes to its senses.

MapBlast! seems to be taking leave of its senses at an alarmingly high speed as of late. I'm still waiting for them to make it so that it just gives you those pretty schematic driving directions without giving you the option of seeing any maps on the site at all. That'll make it completely unusable for just about anything that may still be useful. eek.gif

Here is another way. Enter the address you seek. When the map appears, click on the print option at the bottom, choose a map and look at the results. The printable map appears with the coordinates at the bottom. Assuming they use lat/lon as a basis for their whole mapping system, it seems logical that the coordinates should appear in any number of places like the URL or this print feature. This works for me!

Guest T-storm

Yeah, Markwell, looks like you're right. They quit requiring a sign in every time I broke down and used their site and the greeting they displayed for a while when you were signed in was gone. I mentioned it to BW last night and he hit Mapblast and didn't have to sign in, even though he never registered and I haven't used it from his computer. Wonder why...

T-storm

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching