About placing a new cache

I want to place a Cache.

A tradition (ammo box) cache.

Can't find anywhere perfect there always seems to be something not quite right.

In your opinion what are the most important things about a Cache.

1. A nice walk in a nice place.

3. A reasonable length walk in the counrty.

2. Safety for Chirldren (avoid drops, barbed

wire, water and busy roads)

3. That no-one else should accidentaly find it.

4. It should be well hidden and a challenge to

find without the clue.

Or something else that I'm missing ...

thanks for the help in advance.

Fushi

One and, well lets see, the two that comes after your three, kind of go hand in hand IMO. Nice walks and safe for children are usually the same thing icon_biggrin.gif

Next would be the second number three on your list, followed by number four.

I've noticed too, that the more interesting the area and hide are, the more interesting the logs you'll get. That's kind of fun too.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

I think most of the criteria you listed are good to go by. I'd only include safety for children if I want the cache to be 2 star terrain or less. If I rate it 3 stars or higher, I'd hope that parents pay attention and don't bring young kids along.

As far as the challenge to find, that usually is not important to me as a hider. I don't want people tearing up an area to look for my caches, so I hide them well enough where a casual passerby won't find it accidently, but someone who is looking for it can figure out where it is fairly quickly.

The key to me is a nice walk in an interesting area. If you keep looking for the perfect spot, you'll probably never place your cache. But there are a lot of very nice places to put a cache out there if you look hard enough.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I think most of the criteria you listed are good to go by. I'd only include safety for children if I want the cache to be 2 star terrain or less. If I rate it 3 stars or higher, I'd hope that parents pay attention and don't bring young kids along.

1 and 2 star in difficulty usually means Jr. T can get there on his own power. 3 star usually mean he's on my shoulders and I have a sore back at the end of the day icon_wink.gif Did one 4 star once with my pint size companion; had to take major doses of Advil to cure those aches and pains.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

A previous thread came to the conclusion that difficult hides should be easier hikes and lengthy hikes should be easier hides.

IE, a difficulty average of 3. (1/5 or 5/1 but NOT 1/1 or 5/5).

I tend to agree. If I've spent hours on a long hike, I don't want to spend hours searching. I like different hides and ingenious ideas.

Safety for children is irrelevant--simply identify dangers on the page to warn parents.

Nobody else accidentally finding it is critical, or cachers might be searching for something that isn't there!

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: Most people, including myself, overthink our first few placements. Follow the guidelines and you'll be good! (I'd emphasize paying more attention to providing good coordinates than anything else [average them and test them].)