Interstate 10 cache sites

Guest philcv

Guest philcv

I will be traveling Interstate 10 to the Florida panhandle in a week. I would like to do some geocaching along the way. Any recomendations along the way. I odnt have a 4x4 nor do I want to travel a great distance off the interstate, 10 miles at most.

Guest alexm

quote:
Originally posted by philcv:

I will be traveling Interstate 10 to the Florida panhandle in a week. I would like to do some geocaching along the way.

Passin Thru is almost under I-10 itself. You can be in and out in about 10 minutes. icon_smile.gif

Guest alexm

quote:
Originally posted by philcv:

I will be traveling Interstate 10 to the Florida panhandle in a week. I would like to do some geocaching along the way.

Passin Thru is almost under I-10 itself. You can be in and out in about 10 minutes. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

Well, we've got several off I-10 here in Louisiana. Are you going to take the I-12 straight route from Baton Rouge to Mississippi to or take the somewhat longer I-10 from Baton Rouge through New Orleans to Mississippi route? (Do you care?)

Anyway, what kind of caches are you looking for? I've got one a few hundred feet from I-10, but it takes 2.35 boat-miles to get there. icon_wink.gif Anyway, if you tell me your cache style I can name a couple good ones here. (I'm maybe four miles from I-10, should I make myself a cache? icon_wink.gif)

Guest ClayJar

Well, we've got several off I-10 here in Louisiana. Are you going to take the I-12 straight route from Baton Rouge to Mississippi to or take the somewhat longer I-10 from Baton Rouge through New Orleans to Mississippi route? (Do you care?)

Anyway, what kind of caches are you looking for? I've got one a few hundred feet from I-10, but it takes 2.35 boat-miles to get there. icon_wink.gif Anyway, if you tell me your cache style I can name a couple good ones here. (I'm maybe four miles from I-10, should I make myself a cache? icon_wink.gif)

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

Passing Thru is almost under I-10 itself. You can be in and out in about 10 minutes. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, unless you try it in the morning or evening with the skeeters out... but then you get a really nice view as they carry you up and over the Atchafalaya River bridge toward the depths of the swamp. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

Passing Thru is almost under I-10 itself. You can be in and out in about 10 minutes. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, unless you try it in the morning or evening with the skeeters out... but then you get a really nice view as they carry you up and over the Atchafalaya River bridge toward the depths of the swamp. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Team Dragon

You get to pass through Phoenix so some more detail on what you're looking for could result in a ton. Are you looking for nothing harder than a 2/2? Normal urban park type caches within a few miles of I-10?

Guest WaylandersMA

If your going to do 99% of Rt 10 why not do the rest. To start just swing over and walk out to the end of the Santa Monica Pier. Then at the end just cruise over to Jacksonville and go to the end of Atlantic Ave in Neptune Beach.

While you're there, put a cache on either end under each pier.

------------------

Paul M

Guest GatoRx

quote:
Originally posted by WaylandersMA:

If your going to do 99% of Rt 10 why not do the rest. To start just swing over and walk out to the end of the Santa Monica Pier. Then at the end just cruise over to Jacksonville and go to the end of Atlantic Ave in Neptune Beach.

While you're there, put a cache on either end under each pier.

That would be rather difficult at the moment. When Hurricane Floyd came through a couple of years ago, the Jacksonville Beach pier was damaged pretty heavily, and has recently been demolished. They're building a new one a few blocks away, but it'll be awhile before its done.

Guest WaylandersMA

Bummer about the pier on your end GatoRx. They've got all sorts of stuff on the Santa Monica Pier. I drove a truck from Boston to Los Angeles and took Rt 10 from Mobile Alabama to that pier.

This got me thinking about Rt 20 which I live a few hundred feet away from. Just found a cool site:

http://www.roadtripusa.com/us20/index.html

which outlines the trip from Boston, Ma to the beach west of Corvallis,Oregon. It looks like Cannon Beach is the west end. In Boston it gets tangled up near Fenway Park but looks like it becomes Beacon Street and makes it to the Boston Common.

------------------

Paul M