Membership.... ???

Good evening. I have a question. (Yeah, don't we all). I have been reading posts off and on here for about two months now. Until tonight, I have not seen anything about membership. One of the posts I looked at tonight made reference to some "membership" in conjunction with Geocaching. Now, I hate to be a freeloader. OTOH, I am already a member of one army association, one union, two national pro-gun groups, 3 shooting clubs, one dog club, one zoological society, the humane society, 2 amateur radio clubs, my dog volunteers (with me) in hospitals and nursing homes... dunno if I can afford another membership without severe illness (me, when the wife finds out). In any case, would someone let me know if I missed something?

Thanks. Mike. KD9KC icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Membership is optional and gives you a few extra features. A lot of people become members, because they feel the site provides a valuable service and realize that there is considerable cost invloved in running it.

And many others contribute to the geocaching community in other ways like lots of time and effort (and money) creating high-quality caches (which is the foundation of this activity), cleaning up and maintaining caches that are "owned" by others, collecting trash from cache sites that are littered, etc. I'm sure BrianSnat wasn't implying that those who haven't become members feel the site doesn't provide a valuable service or realize that there is considerable cost invloved in running it ... but to clarify ... each contributes what he can.

Post Note: I say "contributes" but ... the membership fee is actually a fee, not a donation (and there's nothing wrong with that) to Groundspeak. Whereas, the contributions of which I speak are made toward the activity of geocaching regardless of what database you query to obtain coordinates and cache descriptions.