Do you like photos posted in the logs?

Guest mouseful

Guest mouseful

Hi, I am new to Geocaching, but thought I'd ask on this board about photos. Do you like to see photos posted by folks in the logs? The reason I ask is that I usually take my digital camera along when hunting caches and take lots of pictures (my other hobby). I, myself like to look at the photos posted in the logs just to see what the area looks like (umm, maybe get a hint too). And sometimes when people are pictured I'll know what the average geocacher(s) look like icon_smile.gif

Guest Hamster

I love the photos... in fact, every day I like to go through the "recently logged caches" and look at all the caches with the little camera icon next to them... btw I wish this Icon was also on the lists of actual caches.

Looking at all the pictures #1 gives me lots of ideas Re:geocaching and also is kinof like experiencing caches you can't go to in person.

I wish more people would add photos to their cache logs. Jeremy may have to buy more hard drive space for the server though icon_wink.gif

Guest ClayJar

> label the photos as spoilers. If you don't, you'll have some rather perturbed cachers. It's generally a good idea to include a useful description (even if it is just a few words long) so that cachers can decide whether or not they want to see each picture pre-hunt.

(All that said, I really like the pictures.)

Guest Steak N Eggs

I like the pictures too, BUT not of the acuall cache site. (Darn my spelling is off). Some around the cache is ok but the one where the cache is in a hallowed out tree, thats a no no in my book. Don't do something that will make the cache owner angry..

------------------

"MY gps said it's RIGHT HERE!"

www.geogedgets.com

Guest Hamster

I don't see anything wrong with taking a picture of the cache, or the cache site... however as ClayJar mentioned, it should be marked as SPOILERS. Very clearly. I would be quite happy if people posted images of my cache... kindof lets me check on it from my chair. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

I like the pictures too, BUT not of the acuall cache site. (Darn my spelling is off). Some around the cache is ok but the one where the cache is in a hallowed out tree, thats a no no in my book. Don't do something that will make the cache owner angry..

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Hamster:

I don't see anything wrong with taking a picture of the cache, or the cache site...

Usually true... unless... If the cache hider has explicitly asked you not to post pictures of the cache or site (or even to describe the hiding spot), it would be wise to follow the instructions. Posting pictures of some caches is as bad as posting the coordinates to the last part of a high-star multi-cache.

Guest navdog

PICTURES!!! I love pictures. Sometimes for me, getting good shots to work up my photo collages for the cache I'm looking for is more of a challenge than finding the actual cache.

Here are some examples of what I like to do with my photos. There usually is lots of photo opps to highlight the nearby area without having to include any spoilers. The photo collages are my way of showing what I have seen and enjoyed on each caching adventure.

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/log/images/123542_200.jpg

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/images/7595_400.jpg

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/log/images/125169_700.jpg

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/images/12083_500.jpg

And the following photo wasn't so much about the cache but it was the first sunset of the year at the Oregon coast and I wouldn't have been down on the beach nearby if I had not just found the cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/log/images/145843_200.jpg

Happy caching, and as the old photographers saying goes: F/16 and be there!

Guest Rich in NEPA

Navdog, very nice photos, especially the sunset, and very well-executed. I can appreciate the work you put in to them.

I'm with you and most of the others. I always go right to the recent cache logs that have photos attached. When I'm on a hunt I always have some form of camera gear with me. I think it's a great idea to show off the great scenery and other points of interest that can be found at the cache site or along the way. It's all part of the fun, although I try not to overdo it, and will also try not include any pics that give away the hiding spot (and if some visual clues are present, I will always note it as a possible spoiler).

Some examples:

Penny Rock Cache

Rocky River Cache

NORWAL #1 Cache

And two of my own caches:

Cozy Squirrel Lookout

Riddler's Revenge

Cheers to all, and keep those photos coming!

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

Guest kbraband

Geocaching photographers! Soul mates! I wish you guys lived near here so we could hang out. Here's one of my geocaching photos, taken near our Lake By A Lake cache in Wisconsin:

125612_200.jpg

Guest Rich in NEPA

kbraband, that's a neat stand of birches and an interesting perspective. And, yes ... I agree, it would be great to have a Geocaching photographer to hang out with. My trusty Gitzo (tripod) is my usual companion!

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

Guest DenaliNW

I like when people post their photos, and enjoy what Navdog has done with some of my caches, or those that I have visited. I am hoping to that someone will be taking some pics of my travel bugs soon too. Just don't spoil the hunt for me (actually, I pretty much avoid the logs till after the hunt).

I also like photo's in the log's. The only problem sometime's they give the cache away.It is nice when people try not to give the cache away. I just stashed a new cache wich was sort of a surprise.It didn't take long before some picture's showed up.After having many of them posted i decided to leave them on. This is the cache id:gc2f1b

It was placed specially to scare to folks a bit lol.

Guest TheBeans

I like the photos on the logs...they serve as another clue if you get stuck. However, I also agree that if the photo will be a huge giveaway, then you should clearly label it as a spoiler in the text box.

Some of the photos that the finders have logged onto my cache and my folks' cache sites are so great---it's nice to see faces and be able to put names to them, just in case we run into each other on future hunts!

------------------

Take me to BeanAcres

Guest jaw2925

I love looking at cache pictures from around the world. There's a certain immediacy to seeing photos of people from other cultures and climes doing the same thing I like to do. I like the feel of it much more than a tourist brochure or travel book. Next best thing to being there. Does make the world seem smaller though. Here's one of my favorites, http://www.geocaching.com/cache/images/468_1.jpg The cache is under a slab in the foreground. That's one of the pyramids in the background. Joe

[This message has been edited by jaw2925 (edited 14 January 2002).]