placing caches while traveling abroad?

Guest joelcannon

Guest joelcannon

I discovered GeoCaching less than a week before departing for a month long bike ride thru Scandinavia. I would like to place some chaches during my adventure - but I am concerned with my lack of experience and would appreciate your advice.

Since I have to carry everything I'm taking on my bike - weight and size is an issue. I will also not be able to maintain any of these caches and language is another issue....

My plan is to create a series of theme caches - *International Currency Exchange* and leave about 8 exotic bills in each cache. I have a small tupperware container, pencils and 3 tiny notebooks as I get started. I will include the international printouts from the website - and will try to have at least English and German versions of any written instructions.

I will be biking by Ferry to a number of small scenic islands - is it a mistake to place a cache in a remote area?

I hope to concentrate on countries with few or no caches - so I don't expect a lot of traffic.

I won't be able to maintain the cache - so should I make any special plans? (I am deliberately not including a camera for this reason.)

Does this plan seem valid?

Your advice is appreciated.

Joel

Guest Hawk-eye

Just make them simple ... I've placed two in Bolivia ... one I had to turn into a virtual cache ... because someone stole it. The second is in a remote area ... that's OK ... Since you won't be back to maintain it ... just keep it simple ... I wouldn't even worry about making a theme out of it. Just put it somewhere special so it's interesting to find ... You can check before you go and see what kind of caching activity is in that country ... If you want it found ... regularly ... remote caches ... sometimes don't see visitors for a long time if ever.

I wouldn't worry about taking a cache with you ... make it on the road ... you'd be surprised what you can come up with .. a few trinkets, pencil, logbook and GEOCACHING info sheet ... put the rest together once you're there ... Not to mention carrying caches through customs can really make for an interesting situation ... not easy to explain.

I'm planting one in the Jungles of Bolivia in a few weeks ... going to put it together once I get there. Going to put it near a tourist area ... so it will get a little acitivity. My first was found very quickly ... my second in Bolivia ... is still waiting for a visit.

Good luck ... and have a good trip!

Guest leskowitz

It would be nice if you took some pictures of the hiding spot. If I went out of the way looking for it, I would want to know for sure that I was in the right spot. I think the rule should be if you don't live in the area then precise location is required.

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by leskowitz:

It would be nice if you took some pictures of the hiding spot. ....

Excellent suggestion ... I've done that on my remote sites as well. Pack along that camera!