Weird post...stolen cache

Guest HIltonfamily

Guest HIltonfamily

So today I received this weird log from my cache "An Akron Walk"...

"This was my first find! A small brass treasure chest was left with instructions in it with what to do. Sorry you'll have to find the cache to read what is in it! The pack of Jolly Ranchers or what ever they are called was taken (it was lunch time) as was the Curious George. George was taken because he wouldn't fit back in. The "cube" helped. Thanks for the hunt"

Well I felt just plain weird about it...and to add to the weirdness the guy who logged it calls himself "always lost". So I sent my husband out to check on the cache. I figured that this guy had placed the "treasure box" inside our cache box. I wanted to be the first to find out what was "in" that just in case.......So Mike went out and found nothing..no cache box, no treasure box nothing at all.

I archived the cache, e-mailed the guy with the name he registered as and am now sitting around wondering if there is anything else to this. I know that there is a similar post out right now but I wanted to see what other cachers thought of the note...and should I remove my one other cache for a while as was described in the other post?

DxChallenged

Guest Ttepee

Dx... I hope it's not the case that it happens again in the area. I've had one cache lifted too. It was the first cache I had placed. I chalked it up to experience and placed another one in the same park but a better hiding place. I assume mine was an accidental find though. I think I'd sit tight for a bit and see if you get a response from alwayslost. I'd also plan cache maintenance visits in the near future. I don't know that I would go so far as to remove my caches...but that's a judgement call...it hurts to lose them, maybe when you check on them you could photgraph the log book entries so that maybe it won't be quite as painful if the cache goes missing. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Guest gstrong1

It appears that I may have had my 3rd plunder.I'll have to go check on it, but the last 2 cachers have posted that after lengthy searches, they couldn't locate it. I've already had 2 others disappear. Right now, pulling in my others would be a last resort, as I've still got 20 more out there.Guess I'll have to wait & see if this continues.Too bad we have to start seeing this.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! I heard from the cacher but I am still not sure what's up. I used this site to e-mail him cause I just don't have a good feeling....Anyway, Mike checked on our other cache and that seems fine.

Yeah Tteepee we do do cache checks. We check our caches every other week. So this was a downer. We checked it just after we got the log note. I've archeived the one that went missing but plan on placing it again in the spring. Maybe further down the path.

Perhaps when this guy asked for directions the cache was discovered and removed after he left.....It was just that having someone leave a treasure box inside a cache and not disclosing what was inside made me feel uncomfortable........

I'm planning a Hobbit cache in May...I'm hoping that that one fares well as the prizes inside will be the best we've done yet....I guess that it's all based on the honor system and you have to expect this every so often......

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

it just after we got the log note. I've archeived the one that went missing but plan on placing it again in the spring. Maybe further down the path.

Perhaps when this guy asked for directions the cache was discovered and removed after he left.....It was just that having someone leave a treasure box inside a cache and not disclosing what was inside made me feel uncomfortable........

I'm planning a Hobbit cache in May...I'm hoping that that one fares well as the prizes inside will be the best we've done yet....I guess that it's all based on the honor system and you have to expect this every so often......

DxChallenged

Guest Avatar

I recently lost my first cache - unfortunately this was a multi-stage cache with a high degree of difficulty so I feel it must have been a geocacher that made off with it. The chances that it were anyone else is just too remote...

But, you live and learn. I'll replace it real soon and keep a better eye on it in the future...

I placed a Cache back during the holidays which was in the perfect hiding spot. I found a hollow log lying and bought a special plastic container with a screw on lid (about 5 inches in diameter) which fit perfectly inside the log.

Strange thing is somebody decided they didn't like it in the log and keeps moving it. This has happened at least three times. People logging the cache have even commented that the cache wasn't where it was supposed to be and that it had been moved nearby and placed inside an old discarded tire.

It's hard for me to imagine several different people visiting the cache and independently making the decision to move the cache from the log to the tire. Really weird.

I do have a suspect in mind. One of the first guys to log the cache complained that it was too hard to find so I suspect he moved it. But I can't imagine him going back repeatedly and moving it.

Like I said -- really weird. It's the only cache I've had which insists on moving from the spot I placed it.

For awhile I thought perhaps some animal lived in the log and that the cache was blocking the entrance to his lair so it would literally pop the cache out of the log like a cork.

If this was happening then anyone visiting the cache would simply find it lying out in the open. After logging the cache the tire might seem like as good a spot as any to hide it.

But so far no one has posted that this is the case. Only that the cache was not where it was described as being.