Best Cache In Utah?

Guest YaesuMan

Guest UtahJean

After going through my long list of cache finds in Utah, I find I?m unable to choose an overall favorite. But here are those I most enjoyed according to my experience there:

For sheer beauty, a stormy crimson sunset seen from the Salt Flats Pez Cache, followed by the stunning view from Point of Hills and gorgeous fall colors and beautiful waterfall at Adam?s Vantage.

As for challenge, it?s a toss-up between the scrambling climb up to Who Wants To Be a Millionaire and the long desert hike and race against the sun going after Anywhere But There Mega-Cache 4.

And for the most outrageous fun, mostly because of those who shared the experience with me, I?d have to say The Harbor Cache and Amos? Rest.

It?s been a great eight months!

------------------

The next one. Seriously, there are a lot, and most of them are good ones, and the best part is the looking.

Favorite kid's cache: Dino Rama

Favorite hike cache: Top of the Loop to ya!

Biggest challenge: Harbor Cache

Hint: In your direct area, look for some from Bunkerdave. He's a good cacher.

Guest madphatboy2

quote:
Originally posted by YaesuMan:

I am just getting started, but I noticed that there are tons of caches here in Utah. What is your favorite?

I've enjoyed many in this area. Crystal cove was a huge challenge at night. The fountain of justice was another good one. I hate to do this, but if you want a real challenge, look for my biggest cache this spring- Mission Impossible (adventures and history). This one will surpass my harbor cache-2nd attempt.

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest Blindman

In the "I never even knew this place was here" category, I'd have to say The Swamp Thing by Braxiss was the big winner.

I really respect a cache that beats me up a little bit before I find it. That's how I feel about how I found Briar Rabbit by Mononoke.

I also get a big kick out of caches tucked away in unlikely places. That was the thrill in Madphatboy2's Harbor Cache - 2nd Attempt (especially that first cache).

Finally, I love the caches that are just right there! Right under your nose! If it were a snake I'd be dead and I still don't see it! Then there's the rush of realization when you suddenly just know exactly where it is. That's the way that ante bucket was in the Slightly Aggravating Poker Round 6 by, of course, Cach-U-Nuts.

There are definitely some good ones here.

------------------

My boy, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Guest madphatboy2

quote:
Originally posted by YaesuMan:

Wow! anybody found Migrant?

I'm starting to think that this is either thehamradiogeocacher, or badgerboy. Everything he has said kinda clicks with what I've learned about these 2 young men. I may be wrong though. I pretty sure that they have other friends that are into geocaching as well.

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest bunkerdave

Which ones are good? Hmmmm...now there's a loaded question.

I have been to a few caches, and generally it is ALL about location. There are a few that have cool ideas, but without a good location, even the best-planned cache can seem weak.

Zeus's Roost is probably the toughest I have been to, in terms of sheer brutality of hike. As I review my Wasatch Front poster map, it also appears to be the toughest hike, in terms of climb, in the area. If you are able, it should be on your list.

Point of Hills, as Jean said, is a terrific cache, too. The container and that are smallish, but again, it is all about location, and this cache has it in spades. Really a drive up, but the nicest drive up I have been to.

There are a series of caches along Skyline drive called the "Junk Caches." These are a very nice string along a classic alpine drive. Recommend high clearance, although my Subaru (modest clearance) made it with no trouble. Also get the Granpa cache while you are at it, and DO NOT miss Utah's first, the Potter's Ponds cache. There is a road to it down from Skyline Drive, but bring a spare and a jack. I have heard some horror stories about that one. I have one up there, too, "Snowed In" but it is best reached from below, unless you want to take a really nice stroll.

The Furniture is a great cache. I really enjoyed that one. Be sure and check out the Living Room.

Beaver Springs

Winter Quarters

Alpine Meadow

Desert Mountain

Sunday Drive

Amos' Rest

These last few are all great ones, and are in no particular order.

Guest bunkerdave

che can seem weak.

Zeus's Roost is probably the toughest I have been to, in terms of sheer brutality of hike. As I review my Wasatch Front poster map, it also appears to be the toughest hike, in terms of climb, in the area. If you are able, it should be on your list.

Point of Hills, as Jean said, is a terrific cache, too. The container and that are smallish, but again, it is all about location, and this cache has it in spades. Really a drive up, but the nicest drive up I have been to.

There are a series of caches along Skyline drive called the "Junk Caches." These are a very nice string along a classic alpine drive. Recommend high clearance, although my Subaru (modest clearance) made it with no trouble. Also get the Granpa cache while you are at it, and DO NOT miss Utah's first, the Potter's Ponds cache. There is a road to it down from Skyline Drive, but bring a spare and a jack. I have heard some horror stories about that one. I have one up there, too, "Snowed In" but it is best reached from below, unless you want to take a really nice stroll.

The Furniture is a great cache. I really enjoyed that one. Be sure and check out the Living Room.

Beaver Springs

Winter Quarters

Alpine Meadow

Desert Mountain

Sunday Drive

Amos' Rest

These last few are all great ones, and are in no particular order.

Guest YaesuMan

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

I'm starting to think that this is either thehamradiogeocacher, or badgerboy. Everything he has said kinda clicks with what I've learned about these 2 young men. I may be wrong though. I pretty sure that they have other friends that are into geocaching as well.

MPB2, NO BUT...KINDA CLOSE, I KNOW THEM, AND LIVE BY THEM, I GOT THEM INTO RADIO, THEY GOT ME INTO CACHING, YOU KNOW.

------------------

I do radio.

Anything that is radio.

Yes, GPS is radio.

GO HAM RADIO!