GPS on planes?

Guest moghedian

Guest moghedian

We had hoped to hide a cache in Rome but are a little nervous about how a GPS unit will be received at check in/screening at the airport. What if they won't allow it...then what? Put it in a locker for a week? Has anyone else travelled with a GPS unit and have any input? Can it survive the x-rays, etc. without damage? Or are we just paranoid?? Thanks..........

Guest madphatboy2

paranoid! X-rays won't affect the unit. If the GPS is in your luggage, they probably won't even question it at all. Even if they do, what's the worse that could happen? Your flights delayed by maybe a couple hours to a day and they give you some perks for being jerks.

mpb2.gif

Guest keithpilot

I was able to take my MAP76 to Orlando last month with no problem. They even hand searched my bag because of all of the electronics I had in my carry on. They looked at the GPS and had no problem. I even saw her mention to herself that it was a camera...

Keithpilot

Guest Gee Ode

quote:
Originally posted by keithpilot:

I even saw her mention to herself that it was a camera...

Keithpilot

That makes me wonder about the quality of the people doing the security checks. They don't know the difference between a camera and a GPS unit. GHEESSHH rolleyes.gif

------------------

Pat C. nmc491@aol.com

Gee Ode (Pat),

Yeah, no kidding. I would hope that they recieve training in what to look for.

Anyway, I have brought my GPS with me onto four airplanes, and have never been questioned. Once I asked if I could use the GPS and received permission. Once I asked if I could use the GPS and was denied permission. Once I didn't ask permission and went ahead and used it, the FA asked me to turn it off. And Once I left it in my carry-on bag the entire time. I've never had a problem through security with it, before or after September 11.

Jamie

Guest mtn-man

This was discussed in this forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001504.html

All airlines will allow you to carry your GPS onto the plane in your carry on baggage. It is just like a cell phone or camera to them. There are some airlines that will let you turn them on during flight, and some will not. You will see my post on December 23, 2001 where I recorded a 614 MPH top speed at 38,500 feet coming back from LA to ATL. Here is a list of airlines that will allow you to use your GPSR in flight:

http://www.gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

So what your saying jamie is that you haven't had any problems? Is that correct? icon_wink.gif

Hmmm, I wasn't clear enough? I should start writing my posts using nothing but words using less than five letters. Or better yet, I'll write a MadPhatBoy translation on the bottom.

I dunno, I'm too tired to come up with some witty retort. :|

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

So what your saying jamie is that you haven't had any problems? Is that correct? icon_wink.gif

Hmmm, I wasn't clear enough? I should start writing my posts using nothing but words using less than five letters. Or better yet, I'll write a MadPhatBoy translation on the bottom.

I dunno, I'm too tired to come up with some witty retort. :|

Jamie

Guest apersson850

Although Scandinavian Airlines is on the list of "do not use" companies, I've used my Vista on their planes several times. As soon as the cabin attendants realized that it wasn't a cell phone, they didn't care.

Anders

Guest SNIFTER

Hounddog and I flew to Darwin from Sydney and the hostess saw what we had and told the pilot who in turn invited Hounddog to the cockpit. The pilot was extreemly impressed and said that he could fly his plane with it. That was only a magellan 300. I wonder what he would say now we have a 330.

I was facinated at the accuracy myself as I wasn't into GPSs at the time.

Guest worldtraveler

ore important consideration when traveling abroad is to be sure the countries you are traveling to/through will allow the importation/use of GPS receivers and, if so, whether any restrictions apply. Same thing goes for 2-way radios and some other electronic devices.

Some countries (Russia, for example) have specific restrictions/requirements. Failure to follow them may result in forfeiture of the unit, customs fines, and imprisonment.

Remember, some of the stuff we use as toys may be viewed by foreign officials as espionage tools. You should always check the Consular Information Sheet and Travel Warnings for your destination before you depart the U.S. Go to:

http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html

Happy trails. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest worldtraveler

A more important consideration when traveling abroad is to be sure the countries you are traveling to/through will allow the importation/use of GPS receivers and, if so, whether any restrictions apply. Same thing goes for 2-way radios and some other electronic devices.

Some countries (Russia, for example) have specific restrictions/requirements. Failure to follow them may result in forfeiture of the unit, customs fines, and imprisonment.

Remember, some of the stuff we use as toys may be viewed by foreign officials as espionage tools. You should always check the Consular Information Sheet and Travel Warnings for your destination before you depart the U.S. Go to:

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest worldtraveler

A more important consideration when traveling abroad is to be sure the countries you are traveling to/through will allow the importation/use of GPS receivers and, if so, whether any restrictions apply. Same thing goes for 2-way radios and some other electronic devices.

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest worldtraveler

ore important consideration when traveling abroad is to be sure the countries you are traveling to/through will allow the importation/use of GPS receivers and, if so, whether any restrictions apply. Same thing goes for 2-way radios and some other electronic devices.

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest casey4791

I just got back from Japan a week and a half ago. On the way there, GPS was in my main luggage...no problems. On the way home, I had it in my carry on bag. The officials at the gate took it out, turned it over, gave a shrug and put it back.

Other than not knowing what the heck it is, I think most officials are okay with it (probably think it's a odd cell phone). Heck, they were more interested in whether or not I had cigarette lighters.

FYI, if you have the GPS off during your flight and turn it back on at your destination, depending on your unit, it might take awhile to get a lock on the satelittes in that area. My Etrex Summit took close to 30 minutes trying to figure out where it was. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by casey4791 (edited 14 February 2002).]

Guest casey4791

I just got back from Japan a week and a half ago. On the way there, GPS was in my main luggage...no problems. On the way home, I had it in my carry on bag. The officials at the gate took it out, turned it over, gave a shrug and put it back.

Other than not knowing what the heck it is, I think most officials are okay with it (probably think it's a odd cell phone). Heck, they were more interested in whether or not I had cigarette lighters.

FYI, if you have the GPS off during your flight and turn it back on at your destination, depending on your unit, it might take awhile to get a lock on the satelittes in that area. My Etrex Summit took close to 30 minutes trying to figure out where it was. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by casey4791 (edited 14 February 2002).]

Guest worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by casey4791:

My Etrex Summit took close to 30 minutes trying to figure out where it was. icon_wink.gif

I'm not familiar with the Etrex, but you can speed up satellite acquisition considerably on the Garmin III+ and V by going to the map page immediately after turning it on and scrolling the arrow to somewhere close to your current location. The user's manual suggests doing this anytime your unit has traveled more than 500 mi. without being on.

The sequence on the Garmin V (from the acquiring satellites page) is:

menu, new location, use map

The Garmin III+ was similar (I don't have that one any more.)

If your extrex has a built-in world map, it probably has the same ability.

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest worldtraveler

quote:

My Etrex Summit took close to 30 minutes trying to figure out where it was. icon_wink.gif

I'm not familiar with the Etrex, but you can speed up satellite acquisition considerably on the Garmin III+ and V by going to the map page immediately after turning it on and scrolling the arrow to somewhere close to your current location. The user's manual suggests doing this anytime your unit has traveled more than 500 mi. without being on.

The sequence on the Garmin V (from the acquiring satellites page) is:

menu, new location, use map

The Garmin III+ was similar (I don't have that one any more.)

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest casey4791

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

icon_frown.gif You make me want the Garmin V even more now!

No, the Summit, unfortunately, does not have a world map feature. It only has slightly more features than the banana yellow model.

*sigh* Time to start saving those pennies for the V! icon_wink.gif

Guest casey4791

quote:

icon_frown.gif You make me want the Garmin V even more now!

No, the Summit, unfortunately, does not have a world map feature. It only has slightly more features than the banana yellow model.

*sigh* Time to start saving those pennies for the V! icon_wink.gif

Guest casey4791

quote:

Check page 59 of your user's manual...

The user's manual? I'm really not sure what made it to the trash bin quicker...the GPS box, or the manual for it. icon_wink.gif

Yeah, it did take a bit finding the satellites once I was back home. It's been working fine now, it was just that first time being back in the area that it had trouble.

Guest casey4791

quote:

Check page 59 of your user's manual...

The user's manual? I'm really not sure what made it to the trash bin quicker...the GPS box, or the manual for it. icon_wink.gif

Yeah, it did take a bit finding the satellites once I was back home. It's been working fine now, it was just that first time being back in the area that it had trouble.

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by Gee Ode:

That makes me wonder about the quality of the people doing the security checks.

I have yet to have a security check take notice of my GPSR in my carry-on, even after 9/11. I sat next to a guy last week who got the window seat and pulled out his GPS and stuck it to the window with a car mount. The flight attendant (United) didn't say a word. We must've annoyed the people around us with our GPS geek talk.

A few years ago, I ended up at my destination and realized that I had 5 .30-30 rifle cartridges in my carry-on. I had had been hunting the weekend before and didn't check my carry-on very well. Needless to say, the shells didn't make the return trip. I thought about telling the security people at my origin (Austin's old Mueller airport) but I realized that I unwittingly commited a felony and I didn't care to spend hours in a little room with a 20w lightbulb dangling over my head. icon_wink.gif

After that experience, I find myself approaching the security guys with this nagging little voice in the back of my mind "do I have rifle shells in my carry-on?".

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

quote:
Originally posted by Gee Ode:

That makes me wonder about the quality of the people doing the security checks.

I have yet to have a security check take notice of my GPSR in my carry-on, even after 9/11. I sat next to a guy last week who got the window seat and pulled out his GPS and stuck it to the window with a car mount. The flight attendant (United) didn't say a word. We must've annoyed the people around us with our GPS geek talk.

A few years ago, I ended up at my destination and realized that I had 5 .30-30 rifle cartridges in my carry-on. I had had been hunting the weekend before and didn't check my carry-on very well. Needless to say, the shells didn't make the return trip. I thought about telling the security people at my origin (Austin's old Mueller airport) but I realized that I unwittingly commited a felony and I didn't care to spend hours in a little room with a 20w lightbulb dangling over my head. icon_wink.gif

After that experience, I find myself approaching the security guys with this nagging little voice in the back of my mind "do I have rifle shells in my carry-on?".

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest worldtraveler

Arial">quote:

It's been working fine now, it was just that first time being back in the area that it had trouble.

I can just about guarantee you'll experience the same wait the next time your Summit travels >500 mi. from the last point it was turned on unless you invoke the autolocate feature. Your choice...

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest worldtraveler

quote:

It's been working fine now, it was just that first time being back in the area that it had trouble.

I can just about guarantee you'll experience the same wait the next time your Summit travels >500 mi. from the last point it was turned on unless you invoke the autolocate feature. Your choice...

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest Groves_Trekkers

Speaking of EFI, I used to have a AM/FM/Police/Fire/Aircraft radio back in the 70s that when I tuned it to a particular frequency, channel 8 on the TV would go berzerk. I don't know how many times as a kid that I confounded the rest of my family with this trick. icon_biggrin.gif I never told them about it.

Guest Groves_Trekkers

Speaking of EFI, I used to have a AM/FM/Police/Fire/Aircraft radio back in the 70s that when I tuned it to a particular frequency, channel 8 on the TV would go berzerk. I don't know how many times as a kid that I confounded the rest of my family with this trick. icon_biggrin.gif I never told them about it.

Guest Nick Siragher

I frequently take my Garmin GPS 12 all over Europe without any problems from security, or any technical problems. The worst that will happen is that security will ask you to switch it on and show it working. Also, at some airports (e.g Frankfurt) they use a device to 'hoover' PCs and the like to search (I assume) for drug residues.

Nick

quote:
Originally posted by moghedian:

We had hoped to hide a cache in Rome but are a little nervous about how a GPS unit will be received at check in/screening at the airport. What if they won't allow it...then what? Put it in a locker for a week? Has anyone else travelled with a GPS unit and have any input? Can it survive the x-rays, etc. without damage? Or are we just paranoid?? Thanks..........

Guest Jumpmaster

Just a funny story about GPS receivers and airport security...

Back in August, I flew from Austin (Bergstrom airport...nice, new terminal with metal roof) out to California to pick up a truck I bought. Since said truck's speedometer was known to be inaccurate, I took along my Trimble military GPS receiver. (AN/PSN-10). Anyway, the security moron (claiming to be prior military, but I highly doubt it) declared it was surely a LORAN receiver and directed me to turn it on and get a position fix. I politely and patiently explained that it was a GPS receiver, requiring satellite view to acquire a signal. He persisted, so I turned it on and showed him the old coordinates (from about 100 miles away) and they swabbed it and scanned it and finally let me through.

Anyway, be careful with all those LORAN receivers y'all... icon_smile.gif

JM-99

Guest Jumpmaster

Just a funny story about GPS receivers and airport security...

Back in August, I flew from Austin (Bergstrom airport...nice, new terminal with metal roof) out to California to pick up a truck I bought. Since said truck's speedometer was known to be inaccurate, I took along my Trimble military GPS receiver. (AN/PSN-10). Anyway, the security moron (claiming to be prior military, but I highly doubt it) declared it was surely a LORAN receiver and directed me to turn it on and get a position fix. I politely and patiently explained that it was a GPS receiver, requiring satellite view to acquire a signal. He persisted, so I turned it on and showed him the old coordinates (from about 100 miles away) and they swabbed it and scanned it and finally let me through.

Anyway, be careful with all those LORAN receivers y'all... icon_smile.gif

JM-99

Guest McIrish

I just got back from a trip to Europe about two weeks ago. I decided NOT to take my Garmin. The decision was made for me because I am diabetic and travel with an insulin pump, syringes, needles and medication. I decided not to push my luck..LOL. As luck would have it, my husband was searched three times....taken behind the dreaded blue screen. I on the other hand was never questioned about my large needles (for the pump) or any of the syringes or medications. Go figure. On the way home a search dog jumped all over me....had no clue why. The dog handler asked me if I was carrying any fruit. Earlier I had eaten an apple that I brought on the plane with me and told the guard. He laughed and said it was the dogs favorite fruit. The dog came back to me two times while I was retrieving my suitcases. Large fine for fruit brought into the country. The handler took the dog away after searching my bag. Later as we were changing planes from international to domestic, we had to go through security xrays again. I picked up my husbands leather jacket and low and behold....there was another apple in the pocket. We immediately threw it away. The dog was smarter than all of us! Maybe dogs should run the xray machines instead of people.

I used my Dad's laptop GPS on a Continental flight to/from France. Sadly, the mapping software didn't have any details outside of the U.S., so while flying over Canada, Ireland and England I couldn't tell much. But it was a lot of fun saying, "we just crosses into New Hampshire, thats such-and-such highway and thats so-and-so lake, etc., etc."

Guest spiny norman

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

This was discussed in this forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001504.html

Here is a list of airlines that will allow you to use your GPSR in flight:

http://www.gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

You can add Champion Air to the list of those that allow GPSR use in flight. 33,000 ft at 480 mph. (Hard to maintain a lock on the birds through that little window).