Second case of small world syndrome?

Guest Ramness570

Guest Ramness570

I have created a new Geocaching term.

Small World Syndrome: Defined as two cachers placing individual caches in the same area without having prior knowledge of the previous caches existence.

We now have a second case of this with in 4 miles in the last 2 weeks or so. I posted about the first case for my area not to long ago in which I had placed a multi cache and another cacher came along and hid a regular cache a little more the 250? away from my end point. However he did nothing wrong since the end points of multicaches are not posted, therefore he had no knowledge of it being there. Second case this week. A cacher hid a cache in the same location 65? from where I had a cache, which was plundered last May. That cache was also a multi and was archived so again no fault of his.

Just to say I have no problem with this! I just think its funny that the world is so big and 2 geocachers end up finding the same great spots to hide caches!

------------------

Brian & TabascoX

Senior Member Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

Guest kbraband

We had a similar thing happen when we helped a friend in Cleveland, Ohio place her first cache. She hid Stinchomb's Stash, and just the day before, someone else hid one called Stinchcomb in the same park, just a few hundred feet away.

Guest rdwatson78

I have seen another case of this in Chicago. Two caches were placed within a few days of each other within a mile along a Rail-To-Trail. Either we are all starting to think alike or we are running out of good places to hide. Neither of which is good. However, it is nice to get two caches while parking only once.

rdw

I intentionally placed one close to another cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12557

The 1st cache appeared to be difficult, and for my 1st attempt it was. Found a VERY easy way to access it on the 2nd attempt. So I placed one nearby, but there is NO easy way to get to it! Clayjar's site actually rated it a terrain 5, but that seemed just a bit steep, so I dropped it to a 4.5 .

TopoZone Link to give ya an idea of what its like.

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 08 January 2002).]

Guest Markwell

Happens all the time. In Rockford, Illinois:

Willow Creek Family Adventure, placed 6/3/2001 and Rock Cut Cache, placed 6/30/2001

And very close to my home...

Black Partridge Cache placed 9/27/2001 and Black Partridge Surprise placed 9/21/2001.

In all four of these cases, placers were oblivious to the other caches.

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest web-ling

How about this one: Johnson's Peak (20 June 2001, virtual cache, Navicache.com, N 32° 52.840 W 098° 28.730)

And this one: Possum Quest (1 August 2001, regular cache, Geocaching.com, N 32° 52.842 W 098° 28.731 )

EIGHT FEET APART!

[This message has been edited by web-ling (edited 08 January 2002).]