Why would a PDA help me Geocaching????

quote:
Originally posted by TrackerGirl:

I had been looking at the Palm Zire... kinda cheap and could get me started, but do any/all of these programs work with it?

The Zire is a great product...however, for $20-30 more, you could get one with much much more memory and better features overall. The Zire is a great intro palm, but you'd probably be happier in the long run with a slightly more advanced unit.

brian (eightbit)

Our pocket pc came in handy yesterday. We set out to an area that we printed a map from expert gps that had a bunch of caches listed on it. Of course those caches were already in our GPS as we downloaded the closest 300. We had downloaded them into the pocket pc as well as usual. Well we were on our way to the area, when I looked down and saw a cache nearby...so we headed over to it. Didn't even look at the pocketpc, until after we got there and searched for a couple minutes. Come to find out it was a moving cache that had already been taken. No problem, so off we went, headed to our intended area...then again, another cache shows up along the way...hey why not...was a multi...spent a good hour or so on it...then off again...another cache..spent close to 45-60 minutes on it...still not in the area we were headed to. So we finally get to the area we were headed to after hitting 2 or 3 we didn't intend to...3 or 4 hours wasted. Well not wasted, but we could of used the time on the other area. We get to the area and come to find out, you have to pay to park for some of them. Some of them were further down the trail than we wanted to do as we were getting a little tired. So we started back towards home a different way. Along the way , up pops up soem close ones on the GPS. Took out the pocket pc and saw what kind they were and decided if we had time to get them or not or if we even wanted to right then. We would of not had those cache pages with us if we did printouts. We did 3 more on the way home. One of those were a cool multi/puzzle cache that was in a cemetary. The actual cache was down a trail that led to the cemetary. Pretty spooky. We had to hurry on it as it was getting close to dusk and they would be closing the gates. One question I have...is why is there a trail leading to the cemetary in the woods? Or even better, was it a trail leading out of the cemetary into the woods? Freaky!

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I was at one of my caches today and there was a gentleman at the cache site...we talked for a while and he told me that he had just come from one of my other caches and could not find it...I looked at the readout he had and noticed that it was a month or so old...I told him that I had to move the cache do to a mudslide and he should get a newer readout...( ok I told him where to find the cache icon_wink.gif)Had he freshly downloaded the readouts to a PDA he would of had the updated readout...