REALLY cool cache items

Guest eparker85

Guest eparker85

people should leave something of real value for fun if you cache a lot. I know I would like computer software, and I could leave something like a PalmPilot Professional (the old one). I know many people could not afford leaving things like this and that's completely OK, but maybe if you have a cool gadget that you don't use anymore or some software perhaps, consider dropping it in a cache!

Then again, leaving anything but trinkets may be considered as going against the idea of Geocaching. What are your opinions?

Guest BX Tale

I agree 100% what ever I have that I don't really have the use for I would put them into caches. One recent one, I left a Nextell Motorolar i8000 in a cache. Didin't have the need for it any more. With the leather case and fully charged battery.

Guest Markwell

eparker85 - where do you cache? I wanna know! icon_biggrin.gif

Nice idea. Sorta giving something back to the community. I've got a pair of cell phones I don't use anymore - got two new digital ones when I changed contracts. Maybe I'll place them soon. I still like the idea of kitchy things though. It's kinda neat when people are creative AND cheap the kinds of things you can get.

I always find it neat to get bizzare currency like a Morgan Silver Dollar, etc. (Found that one in the Cumberland Trail Cache). Maybe you could put a really valuable coin. Neumismitists would be the only ones who would know the value just by looking at it. BTW - 1921 Morgan Dollar = roughly $8.50US.

Guest Markwell

eparker85 - where do you cache? I wanna know! icon_biggrin.gif

Nice idea. Sorta giving something back to the community. I've got a pair of cell phones I don't use anymore - got two new digital ones when I changed contracts. Maybe I'll place them soon. I still like the idea of kitchy things though. It's kinda neat when people are creative AND cheap the kinds of things you can get.

I always find it neat to get bizzare currency like a Morgan Silver Dollar, etc. (Found that one in the Cumberland Trail Cache). Maybe you could put a really valuable coin. Neumismitists would be the only ones who would know the value just by looking at it. BTW - 1921 Morgan Dollar = roughly $8.50US.

I've prepared a Z-TOUCH mini-pda for future cache deposit by installing a scrolling banner of the Geocaching logo and URL. A copy of the banner is at http://www.geocities.com/ecomer/pics/geocache.bmp

If anyone eles is interested in the Z-TOUCH, it is sold at K-Mart and Wal-Mart for $10. Desktop PIM software can be downloaded from www.mini-pda.com. The keychain device actually does several of the Palm functions, i.e., appointments with reminder alarms, name/telephone lists and some games.

Guest c-troop

I have been placing Hallmark ornaments at several caches around our area, For example last Sunday I left a Keepsake Club ornament entitled "Holiday Pursuit" which was a mouse with a magnifying glass looking at a map, which I thought was appropriate for this cache since it was a 5 stage multi. I have also left Sportscards, like a pack of 15 different Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, etc. And I just placed a Mario Lemeux Hockey insert card with a book value of $40, I always try to leave cool stuff.

In our area there is a annual River Festival, the admission to the festival is a button that used to cost $1, This has been going on for the last 25-30 years so most all of the buttons are very collectible around here, If a person was to have the complete set it would be worth a couple thousand $$ no kidding! I still have a good supply of Riverfest buttons that I plan to place, usually when I place one and log it, the race is on between several Cachers!

Its not very often I take something from a cache, I found seven caches last Sunday and only took a STL Cardinals Coozie, I always leave the cache in better condition than when I found it.

C-Troop

Guest gmaxis

I also have a 3Com PalmPilot ready to join other cheap, low-tech items for a planned cache. Two slightly used, cellphones, and a CD-ROM drive await placement. Here's an idea for the cellphone cache...install a solar panel/charger on the cache so the phone will always work!

Guest Exocet

Chad and I have a cache that will be turning a year old pretty soon - the Council Crest Cache, here in Portland, OR. Last time I checked, it was the most popular cache in Oregon with about 64 visitors since we placed it in Feb of 2001.

We're planning on updating the cache with some truely nice items. We'll probably also be putting in a new log book, the 4th (!) cache camera, possibly a new cache container and definately putting in some nice stuff for future visitors.

I know that we're probably going to be putting in a relatively new cell phone + charger (just needs to be activated with a cell phone service provider) and a copy of William Sullivan's epic Listening for Coyote. I suppose we'll also include some copies of Chad's Geocaching Mix CD (highly rated by listeners) and whatever else we think is pretty cool. If I've got the funds, I will try to throw in a Geocaching hat.

Any other suggestions?

Guest Choberiba

ClayJar is: considering doing some homemade holograms

How difficult are these to do?

Can you use these as "stepping stones" in a multi-cache where the next coordinates are what float?

Guest sidewinder

The coolest item that I have ever found was the coin made by moun10bike and left in a cache in my area. For me it is as least as rare as a morgan dollar and maybe more so. I don't care what else I find in a cache this coin will always be the coolest find.

Guest rdwatson78

quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder:

The coolest item that I have ever found was the coin made by moun10bike and left in a cache in my area. For me it is as least as rare as a morgan dollar and maybe more so. I don't care what else I find in a cache this coin will always be the coolest find.

I have coin #13 sitting in one of my caches right now. It's cool but I would rather see where it travels than lock it up and forget about it. I put it in with the cache when I first placed it. There have been 2 finds on it so far, but neither person took the coin. confused.gif I might check on my cache just to lay my eyes again upon the coin.

rdw

Guest Moun10Bike

I'm glad to hear that you guys like the coins! Don't worry about holding on to them, though -- they are meant to be kept if you wish. Making them Travel Bugs was sort of an experiment, and one that I've decided wasn't that successful for a variety of reasons. After the current batch goes out the door, future ones will just be plain ol' signature items for me -- no more tracking.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html