Thoughts on "single use" caches?

Guest Rubbertoe

Guest Rubbertoe

I've been considering hiding a couple caches with only one item inside, and designating them as "single use" caches.

See, I'd like to hide a few caches with one really nice item inside, or even make the container itself be the prize. (Like an unusual box or bottle or something)

But anyway, what do you all think about the idea of a cache that is hidden with the intention of only one person finding it, and taking the whole cache with them as their prize, for lack of a better word.

The reason I think it'd have to be identified as a single use cache in the original listing here, is because when the first person finds it - they will take the "really nice prize" and probably leave behind a trinket or something that would be of considerably less value. And, if it wasn't logged here on the site, the next person that found it (thinking they were the first) wouldn't find the item they were promised.

See what I'm getting at here? Any opinions one way or the other?

Guest makaio

container it should work fine (nothing for anyone to leave trinkets in). You might also provide something small to leave in it's place (something biodegradeable) so others will know they were just not first as opposed to thinking they just can't find the cache.

I'm not sure about this idea. If I were to set out to find your one-time cache, and someone nabbed it the same day, I could drive myself crazy trying to find something that wasn't even there!

Maybe if the person retrieving the cache left behind another 'regular' cache so at least the second finder won't be left scratching their heads.

The big item would be like a reward for being the first to find the cache.

Guest Exocet

Personally, if it was me and I wanted to stick a really nice item out in the woods or somewhere... I'd explain it on the cache page saying that the first person that gets there needs to log their visit clearly, letting everyone else know that they grabbed the good item. There would be one or two other consolation items - enough for people to trade with.

But I would leave the container out there. I like to think of geocaches as very long term things. So it would be dissapointing to be second, but it's always fun to see a new place. icon_smile.gif

Guest Exocet

Personally, if it was me and I wanted to stick a really nice item out in the woods or somewhere... I'd explain it on the cache page saying that the first person that gets there needs to log their visit clearly, letting everyone else know that they grabbed the good item. There would be one or two other consolation items - enough for people to trade with.

But I would leave the container out there. I like to think of geocaches as very long term things. So it would be dissapointing to be second, but it's always fun to see a new place. icon_smile.gif