Event cache - Picnic/BBQ

I've met and corresponded with a couple of other geocachers here in the Santa Barbara area and am thinking of putting on an event cache / picnic /

BBQ type of thing. There are a few city parks that have facilities, some of which are at trailheads leading to local caches. I'm looking for some feedback from folks who have either put on such an event or attended one.

To give some idea, Santa Barbara is about 90 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

Geocaching seems to be pretty active here, 60 caches on geocaching.com within about 40 miles. The easier ones seem to get one or two logs a week and the tougher ones one or two a month. There hasn't ever been an event cache in or near us as far as I can tell.

What kind of a turnout for such an event should I expect? The local parks have the ability to reserve a picnic/BBQ area with seating for anywhere from 50 to 200 people, at fees of about $1 per peson (capacity of the spot that you reserve, they don't care how many show up). Is it customary to ask those attending to chip in on the fees? I'm willing to front the money, but kind of wonder what kind of turnout to expect.

How far in advance of the event is it customary to post the event cache?

Any ideas for GPS-style games or contests at such an event?

-Jay Hennigan

jay@west.net