GeoCommunity or GeoBusiness?

seneca

We are being persuaded to pay a subscription fee by a compelling moral argument:

We're all in this together. There is no free ride. Someone has to pay for this. I cannot continue to handle this burden myself. I need to eat. Please pay!

I call this the "moral appeal". This is the basis on which most non-profit societies and associations are formed. (ie Public Television) The moral appeal, requires that the leaders of such organizations be financially accountable to those who provide support.

Jeremy could make (but hasn’t made) a different but equally compelling pitch:

This is my business. Expect me to profit. I am offering to provide an excellent service for an excellent price. Pay me and I will deliver!

I call this the "commercial approach". This is the basis on which all businesses operate. The only obligation these organizations have to those who provide financial support it is to deliver the product. There is no obligation to account. I for one believe this would be a completely valid approach for Jeremy, for which I would be willing to pay my $30.00.

However, in view of the fact that Jeremy has opted for the moral appeal, I believe he has taken on the moral obligation to account to those who support him. Does he intend to demonstrate his sincerity by being open and transparent (ie. accountable) to those in the Geocaching Community who sends him dollars, by posting to this forum relevant financial statements (revenues/expenses) including the salary that he is going to be paid? Will he reduce the annual fees (or even pay some of it back) if the moral appeal produces a surplus? (If the reason subscribers are paying him, is to cover costs, and let him eat, then wouldn’t it be immoral for him to pocket any surplus?)

Jeremy, if this is a business - good on you - I hope you succeed - just be up front with us. If however, your only motivation is to strengthen the GeoCommunity, then, notwithstanding that you have the generosity of a saint, you still must account for the funds you raise. Don’t cross the ethical line ( that many well known television Evangelists have) by operating a profit motivated business, while pretending that it is not.

Whichever way, my gut feeling is that you will take the high road.

Thank you Jeremy for clarifying this for me on another recent thread:

quote:
Grounded, Inc. (Groundspeak) is a commercial entity. It always has been. I don't think I've been fooling anyone here.

I wish you the best success - hope you make a million! At least you will get my $30.00 - its on its way.

A Satisfied (soon to be) Customer

OK, call me a capitalist pig, call me a sellout, call me whatever you like...but...Jeremy et all are trying to maintain a website that has outgrown itself. That takes money. This isn't "People's Park" and this isn't the 60's.....stuff cost money, and people with jobs have to supply that money. I have been reading through the posts on this topic for the last two days. It amazes me how many people are complaining about a nominal fee to keep the service up and running. I consider myself lucky to have gotten the last year free of charge. I at times felt guilty for not purchasing some of the merchandise they sold...not because I actually want a Groundspeak hat, but because I felt I had an obligation to help support the site.

I wont tell other people what to do or think, that is not my place....but I can and will tell you all what I think...if you want this site for free, then how about providing a better idea for raising the money to pay for it. It seems everyone has a complaint these days but no one has a viable solution. I was always told that if I couldnt do a job better, not to complain about those who are doing it now.

I will continue to support the website and those who keep it running. Everyone else can do what they want but just know that without enough cash to keep things running....eventually...Geocaching.com will dissappear.....and it wont be my fault!