Columbus had it tough

embra

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

I found the link describing navigation by dead reckoning fascinating.

max

Just visiting this planet

The military still used dead reckoning up until my retirement. Dunno anymore, guess I need to ask my son, a CAV SCOUT. You bet he knows how to navigate! There are a whole slew of tricks for when you don't have a GPS, a compass, or even a good map.

We were told that it was called "dead reckoning" because if you reckoned wrong, you could wind up dead! Kinda like Murphy's third law of combat: Anything you do, including nothing at all, can get you killed. After learning all of that, I was always careful to have a good map and a compass in my pack at all times. In fact, I still have a few hundred older maps in MGRS - NAD-27 format.

Another trick along with dead reckoning was deliberate offset. You would offset your azmuth a degree or three, then hike your distance. Once there, you were sure which way to search for your objective by reversing the off-set.

Lots of fun in many strange lands several years ago. Mostly good memories of good soldiers and complete missions. Now it is just fun, no matter how poorly I do. icon_biggrin.gif Isn't GPS neat? Wish we had a GPS when I was in.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!