Coordinates for an address?

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Is there any site on the net that will give you the coordinates of a given address?

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest ClayJar

MapBlast! does give really good results (it's worked for me often), but I figured I'd just reiterate that since you're the first other Baton Rougean I've come across. icon_smile.gif

-ClayJar (just north of Florida at Foster)

Guest ClayJar

MapBlast! does give really good results (it's worked for me often), but I figured I'd just reiterate that since you're the first other Baton Rougean I've come across. icon_smile.gif

-ClayJar (just north of Florida at Foster)

Guest Chris Juricich

kbraband's address and Mapquest both gave different lat/long for my own address.

Mapquest gave me:

N 37° 52.342

W 122° 17.312

Geocode provided...

N 37° 52.19.960

W 122° 17.14.442

Pretty far off!

Guest k2dave

Even though it's not a site, MS streets and trips does this. When I have to go somewhere new (very common in my line of work) I look it up there and get the waypoint to enter into my gps. Using the program is faster then the net (even w/ dsl) and always accessible. I got it from costco for $5 after rebate.

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

kbraband's address and Mapquest both gave different lat/long for my own address.

Mapquest gave me:

N 37° 52.342

W 122° 17.312

Geocode provided...

N 37° 52.19.960

W 122° 17.14.442

Pretty far off!

This is interesting. What does your GPS say??

Is it the same, or close to one of these?

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

This is interesting. What does your GPS say??

Is it the same, or close to one of these?

You didn't read my reply to his post, did you?

The two sets of coordinates are both correct (as in, they are not as far off as those numbers made them look). The MapBlast!-derived coordinates use the WGS-84 datum, which is what most (but not quite all) GPS receivers are set to as the default. The Geocode-derived coordinates use the NAD-27 datum, which is what most USGS topographical maps use. (NAD-27 is North American, whereas WGS-84 is worldwide, but what exactly is the difference is something that requires delving into geometric representations a bit more deeply than this forum allows.)

Truth be told, the two sets of coordinates given are about 0.02 miles different, which puts the geocode set just south of an intersection and on the west side of the road, while the MapBlast! coordinates put the location just north of the same intersection and on the west side of the road. So, are you just north or just south of the intersection?

(The WGS-84 vs. NAD-27 thing has at least tried to bite us all at one point or another, so it's very important to realize right away that there is more to a set of coordinates than just the numbers, hence my emphasis on this point.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 13 August 2001).]

Guest AmeliaPhoto

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Don't forget to convert the http://www.geocode.com/eagle.html-ssi results to WGS-84! They're NAD-27 (like Topo Zone), while Our Beloved MapBlast! uses WGS-84, like Geocaching and most of our GPS receivers.

I realize that the two are nearly equivalent; but, technically, Mapquest uses NAD-83 for US locations and WGS-84 only for foreign locations.

If you convert the NAD-27 to NAD-83 you'll find the difference to be approximately 6 meters.

Guest ClayJar

t the exact difference between them, but I did find a site with the numbers to compute an exceeding plethora of map data ("datums" just isn't kosher Latin, is it?). Forgot where that was, but I'll re-Google and come up with it if I remember (they repo'd the stitches this morning, but there's still a bit of lingering pain messing up my memory circuits).