accessible caches?

Guest King Pellinore

Guest King Pellinore

Any geocachers with disabilities? My SO does and I'm trying to get her more into geocaching. Some caches are obviously out of reach of even the most hale among us, but it's not always easy to predict what sorts of terrain are going to be most difficult...

KP,

I'm fully able-bodied, and I haven't had the opportunity to interact with anyone who was in a wheelchair (or other serious mobility disability). However, I know that if a Geocacher in my area emailed me and asked about the caches I've visited and whether or not they might be accessible, I'd do my darn best to answer that person's question.

My suggestion would be to find an active cacher in your area who has visited many of the local caches. They might be able to point you in the direction of caches that aren't surrounded by 4-star terrain.

Jamie

Well, the good king is already an acomplished finder, as well as hider. I think he's already done most of the local caches. Perhaps Pellinore, if you could elaborate a bit more on her capabilities and limitations, maybe the rest of your local peers could make sure there are some caches placed to accommodate her. I call first dibs on a cache named "Thanks to the King".

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 20 February 2002).]

Guest King Pellinore

well she's a trooper for sure, and will push herself beyond reason (or at least as I perceive it!) I'd say anything a mile or under, round trip, is about right. Shorter if the terrain is bumpy or overly steep.

Guest regoarrarr

I've hidden 2 - #11565 and #11711 as micro-caches in parking garage. It can play havoc with your GPS reception, but each has had a fair number of finds. A couple of the recently placed letterbox caches here in Cincinnati have been quite easy - definitely wheelchair-friendly.

I've often thought of coming up with a new rating system - PWATF (Pregnant Wife and Toddler Friendly). To score high on this scale you have to have a short walk and have it not be too hard to find :-)

dan.