Greater Accuracy is on the Way

PI Joe

I don't understand all the technical Mumbo jumbo but it sounds to me like it's the satellites and birds in the sky that are being upgraded and we'll proably just be able to upgrade our current GPSrs online like we would now. At least I sure hope that's the case. Boy I could have used the accuracy in the rain today! And are you Juan or are you Bob? Pick a name! Just kidding.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Too much accuracy takes away the fun of mucking around in the woods. icon_smile.gif Last thing I want is for my GPSr to walk me up to the cache within a few inches... where's the fun in that?

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/geobanana.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

Toe, they aren't going to revoke Murphy's law, are they? I bet leaf cover and 'anomalies' will be enough to keep *me* wandering in circles and muttering under my breath! Technology always seems to promise a little more than reality delivers.

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Too much accuracy takes away the fun of mucking around in the woods. icon_smile.gif Last thing I want is for my GPSr to walk me up to the cache within a few inches... where's the fun in that?

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/geobanana.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

I agree with the toe, too much more accuracy and the fun is gone. While it would be nicer to have a little more accuracy when conditions are really poor, it would just be too accurate when conditions are good.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

Not ONCE in that article did they talk about Geocaching! Isn't that why the birds are up there in the first place? So we can PLAY!

I mean, it does have other practical applications, such as the aviation aspects and such, but I thought that Geocaching was the original reason they sent the satellites up in the first place. Whoever wrote that article needs to check their facts before writing such muck.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

The option will always be there to use straight L1 (as it is now) if ones wishes to do that icon_frown.gif. That's going to be the users choice.

In the meantime even before these IIF's fly with the new civil L5 (and L2), 12 of the existing built and currently stored IIR's are being modified with L2 which will mean civil dual freq many years ahead of waiting for enough of the IIF's to be usable (~ 18 sats in 2012).

The modified IIR's (known as IIR-M) in conjunction with the first of the IIF's will give an 18 satellite constellation in about 2007-2008?

But yes icon_eek.gif new hardware, unfortuneately not just software unless purposefully built in hindsight.

Then of course there's the GPS III's currently being considered.

But civil L2/L5 isn't going to give cm accuracy (compared to L1 mode of operation) but maybe one will have to get used to hiding things better (within about 1.5m icon_biggrin.gif)

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif