Another Virtual cache?

Guest Morseman

Guest Morseman

I've noticed that some of the 'virtual' caches are becoming popular. Ones like the cache where you create an area based upon a code derived from your geocache name (Where's in a name), or the one based on getting a speeding ticket whilst geocaching (I could start one for those who have a crash whilst geodashing!)

Maybe a cache based upon uploading a location close to where you were at 20:02 on 20/02/2002?

I made a waypoint as to where I was at that time, anyone else interested in a virtual cache based on that date/time?

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest madphatboy2

How can you create a wypt for that time if it hasn't happened yet? As of the time of this post there is still approximatly 3 1/2 hours until it actually happens.

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

[This message has been edited by madphatboy2 (edited 20 February 2002).]

[This message has been edited by madphatboy2 (edited 20 February 2002).]

Guest Rich in NEPA

MPB2, I think it already happened for him. The rest of us have to wait.

~Rich in NEPA

=====================================================================

No need to worry about the world ending today ... because it's already tomorrow in Australia!

=====================================================================

Guest madphatboy2

Rich,

I'll take your word for it, but I thought that the 20:02 time was a generalized time that happened for everybody worldwide at the same time. The way I think about it is like in the military they say to be on a conference call at 0200, so that no matter where you are in the world, they will all be at the conference at the same time. It may be 2 am in one time zone and 2 pm in another, but they know exactly when to meet up. Am I wrong in this? (sorry, I have no military background, this is just what I understood.)

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

... I thought that the 20:02 time was a generalized time that happened for everybody worldwide at the same time.

MPB2, I think what you might be referring to is "Zulu" time, which it merely a reference to Greenwich Mean Time, or Universal Coordinated Time (UTC). When I was in the Navy, when we needed to coordinate an event across time zones, the time was given, for example, as Zulu One Zulu Zulu to mean 01:00 at Greenwich mean time. At least that is what we were told.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/questions/zulutime.html

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

====================================================================

Guest sbukosky

When I saw the topic, I was hoping someone was starting a thread about an excess of virtual caches. I'll get to the point. Virtual caches are little more exciting than virtual paychecks. If the hunt doesn't end up with something to open and sign into, I think it can be argued that it doesn't meet the spirit of the geocache concept. Virtual caches would be better known as Geotouring, IMNSHO.

------------------

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

[This message has been edited by sbukosky (edited 20 February 2002).]

As the initiator of the "Where's In A Name cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12627

& at the risk of opening up a can of worms, I feel compelled to reply to the person who said Virtual caches are pointless.

IMHO there are hundreds of caches that are no more than a 35mm film can stuck in some very uninspired places. I personally find these "pointless". HOWEVER (Please note the word however), although I do not like them, I would never put down someone else's like for them or desire to hunt them.

As far as Virtual caches being pointless, I have gone out on some virtual caches that have introduced me to areas and sights that I never would have experienced & where "real" caches would be impossible to place.

See "Inclement Weather Cache":

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13215 for one.

I was under the impression that one aspect of geocaching is to be in it for the hunt & also that different people come to the sport for different goals & are tolerant, even understanding, of each other. That's my take on it.

While I like to sign a log & trade some goodies, that is not my primary goal as my girlfriend & I do this to spend some together time & experience little known scenic places we would otherwise not find.

As far as my virtual, It has received over 75 logs, many from outside the country. It has enabled myself & other cachers to "meet" many interesting people & has received much praise from many cachers. There are currently over 50 people on the watchlist for the cache.

Instead of putting down an entire type of cache, I would suggest you try some of the more favorably received virtuals or at the least be a little more tolerant of other people's views/likes. JMHO

Chris

[This message has been edited by crusso (edited 20 February 2002).]

Guest madphatboy2

If you have a problem with a virtual cache either 1. DON'T GO! or 2. sign your name in the dirt. I agree with the previous post, no sense in slandering it, it's someone elses preference. Freedom of speech is a very wonderful thing. Sometimes freedom of silence can be better. (aka 5th amendment)

------------------

MPB2

Guest JAMCC47

In a moment the present is past,

and the present is present,

and the future is just begining.

So where are we! icon_smile.gif

Is it possible for a man to be born before his father, and marry his mother????

------------------

JoseCanUSea

Guest JAMCC47

In a moment the present is past,

and the present is present,

and the future is just begining.

So where are we! icon_smile.gif

Is it possible for a man to be born before his father, and marry his mother????

------------------

JoseCanUSea

Guest madphatboy2

I'm sure you had a point to that, but I probably over looked it. Can you be so kind as to explain what it is? Thanks

------------------

MPB2

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

Virtual caches are little more exciting than virtual paychecks... ...I think it can be argued that it doesn't meet the spirit of the geocache concept.

Wrong! rolleyes.gif

Taken from the FAQ page on Geocaching.com:

quote:
"Are there any variations in the game?

YES! We strongly encourage it, actually. Geocaching is a game that constantly reinvents itself, and the rules are very flexible.

Some examples -

Virtual caches - A cache is actually an existing landmark, such as a tombstone or statue."

I happen to enjoy Virtual Caches quite a bit. If you don't - that's just fine - Virtual Caches are clearly marked. Just ignore them. It's that simple...

-exConn

------------------

What is Project Virginia?

[This message has been edited by exConn (edited 20 February 2002).]