Cool Web Site

Guest hideandseek

Very cool!

In my state I see Camp David, The Bay Bridge, and even my local library! There's also listings for things like Burger King, Wall Mart, and hospitals.

I have a little device called a Road Wiz... about the size of a pocket calculator that, if you enter the highway you're on and the direction you're traveling it will tell you, for example, where the next Texaco or Mobile gas station or the next Cracker Barrel restaurant is, what exit to take, what direction to go and how far to drive.

Seems to me that with just a little effort transposing directions into coordinates one of the GPS manufacturers could incorporate this kind of info into a GPS. That would be very, very cool!

Thanks for the tip!

Tedoca

Guest kbraband

quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:

garmin does that in its roads & rec maps

In addition to Roads & Rec, Garmin's MetroGuide maps that can also be uploaded into a GPS. MetroGuide will even let you find the nearest ATM by bank name.

Guest xsintrik

hideandseek writes:

quote:
I found a cool web site I thought I would share! "www.waypoint.org" lots of neat stuff

like coordinates to where Bonnie & Clyde were

ambushed etc.

I found this site back in March (when I got my first GPS) and have published a lot of my waypoints there, including the Bonnie and Clyde ambush site.

I love waypoint lists and I am compiling several that I plan on sharing:

Infamous Crime Scenes (Columbine High School, OJ's House, Bonnie and Clyde Ambush site etc.)

Famous/Historical Sites (National Momuments, US Battlefields, typical tourist spots)

Amusement/Theme Parks (All Six Flags parks and similar, Disney, Universal, Water Parks etc.)

Professional Sports Stadium (Astrodome, Superdome etc.)

Colleges (All major building entrances; Library, Admin, Student Union, Sports stadiums etc. as well as off campus sites that might be of interest to the students such as local resturants and clubs, copy centers, book stores - go to waypoint.org and click on Special Lists, then Hattiesburg MS so see a list I made of the University of Southern Mississippi as an example)

For the Houston area, I am compiling lists of Hospitals, Fire Stations (I'm a volunteer fire fighter) and High Schools. (I am trying to start a weekly sports newspaper for Houston with heavy coverage of High School sports, hence the list of High Schools.)

I am using local maps for the Houston info, but I need submissions for the rest. Please send me any waypoints that match the above lists, or just any interesting waypoints that you would like to share.

Thanks

------------------

xsintrik

[This message has been edited by xsintrik (edited 03 September 2001).]

Guest chucklllls

I have the locations of many of the best Delis, lunch counters and BBQ joints stored in my head. I should submit them to waypoints.org

I guess I'll have to go back to each one for the coordinates...DARN!