coordinates

Guest Ron Bopp

Guest Ron Bopp

today I tried to put the following coordinates in my GPS, W090.74273 only to find out that when I got to the #7 my unit only goes up to #5 what should I do? I have a Garmin etrex. Thanks

Guest Quinnow

OK...you lost me here bud. Explain a bit better. Are you saying that you can't enter a numeric higher than the number "5" ?

Or are you saying that you can only enter 5 numbers total?

Reason I ask is the Megellen 310 does not extend 3 numbers beyond the decimal, and I realize that you own the Etrex, but I want to be certain what you are asking.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Ron Bopp

OK here we go again. when you start up you have to change the coordinates to the correct LON/LAT for the particular cache you are looking for. when I try to change to the correct number(7) I cannot numerically go above the number 5. the window that opens up goes from 0-5. If you have any other questions let me know.

Guest Quinnow

Ron,

I looked around to see if I could find your answer to your problem, and I found out you should be able to enter those coordinates just fine. Is your datum set to wgs84 ?

here is a link showing your unit with those digits entered, scroll to the bottom of the page to see. http://www.gadgetmad.com/reviews/etrex.shtml

So I am thinking that you might have it set for the wrong datum 9though I can't figure out why that would matter for this problem)

also Garmin has an update on their website for your unit, just go to www.Garmin.com and search for your unit type, then do what it says as far as checking your software version on your gps, if it's out of date then get the download and update your unit while there. In the mean time e-mail Jeremy or look around the board to see if you can locate another etrex owner to find out if this has happened before and how to correct it.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Bopp:

today I tried to put the following coordinates in my GPS, W090.74273 only to find out that when I got to the #7 my unit only goes up to #5.

Latitude/longitude locations can be specified in several different ways:

1) Degrees with decimal fraction, shown as DDD.ddddd in GPS 'Location Format' menu

2) Degrees and minutes with decimal fraction, shown as DDD MM.mmm' in GPS menu

3) Degrees, minutes, and seconds with dec. fraction, shown as DDD MM' SS.s" in GPS menu.

The coordinate you were trying to enter (W090.74273) is in the first format, but your eTrex seems to be set for either format 2 or 3, and is expecting you to enter minutes of arc after the number of degrees. The numeric choices only go up to '5' because there are 60 minutes in a degree, so the largest number of minutes to enter is 59.

Set the Location Format on your eTrex to DDD.ddddd to enter the coordinate 90.74273.

Note that the www.geocache.com site always uses the DDD MM.mmm' format, so I presume you found that coordinate somewhere else.

Guest Ron Bopp

Everybody thanks for the info Iam still new to this game, making strides, slow strides, none-the-less strides,toward perfection, (well at least getting better!) Thanks again Semohiker (RON)